So I'm driving to a job site and hear the Suze on the radio... | Page 5 | The Boneyard

So I'm driving to a job site and hear the Suze on the radio...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm too tired from the last ass-whooping I laid on you to do it all over again.

You're like PP. You just like to lose.

You keep changing the game when I beat you at the game we are playing.

Like you always do, you just try to deflect the argument to fit your needs.

When CL82 asks about the BIG and how the CIC and the increased revenue from TV money will help the decline..

you say no, by saying this...

"No, CIC total gain per year is sort of back office efficiency type of stuff. Here, read this: http://www.umdrightnow.umd.edu/news/umd-officially-joins-committee-institutional-cooperation. A research budget at an AAU school is like $500m per year. The CIC helps joint research projects but the total a drop in the bucket compared the budgets. Since RU was bleeding $30m a year from the academic side to prop up the athletic program, the athletic program is not going to be in the black at is current rate of expenditure. Increased attendance likely to be offset by increased travel."

So when I prove how idiotic your statement is, because RU spends 18 million a year, not 30 million a year on athletics (from the link you so generously provided) and that we will instantly see a 12 million dollar increase in the very first year, and that will shoot up to over $25 million more than currently by year 5, which means more money to go towards academic spending, ....and your response is that increased attendance will be offset by travel...even though we travel just as far currently going to Texas, Tennessee, Florida, California this year, Kentucky and the like....there will only be a negligible increase in travel costs going to Big Ten schools, while their will be a HUGE increase in TV money and a significant increase in attendance and alumni donations. That means we can put more money towards correcting the errors our state government has made in cutting spending to Rutgers.

The problem is....that makes you jealous as hell, so of course you won't admit that we will be able to close the gap academically.

And if you don't think going to the Big Ten will be a huge boost leading to an uptick in academic rankings, you're either just being your usual self....or your lying (again) or you're a dimwit. Or maybe all of the above.

Especially when Penn State even admitted the Big Ten elevated them to higher academic rankings. The proof is in the pudding. Their academic ranking skyrocketed right after they joined the Big Ten.

Sorry buddy, I know it's going to kill you....but the same thing is going to happen to Rutgers.

Stop changing the argument just because you are losing. It just makes you look like an even bigger know-it-all loser.

You are the sorest loser I have ever seen, and it appears many hear on these boards feel the same way.

You have never once admitted you are wrong, and others have called you out on it.

It's laughable how stupid you appear when you try to sound smart.

Still think we give out 40 percent of our tickets each year?

Stil think RU pays 30 million a year to offset spending?

Still think RU has slashed academic budgets to fund football?

All mis-truths you tell over and over again....with the hopes that people will just take you for your word. You go on thinking that ALL presidents have no idea how important college football is to CR even though many of them know damn well that their schools have 50-100+ million dollar annual budgets. You just sound like a really dumb know-it-all when you say that.

You want to come off as ignorant, go ahead. I'm tired of trying to educate you.

Reaction Score
Yes 40% of the tickets were given away. And you left out the $9 million in student fees in addition to the direct subsidy. The article even said you're in the hole $28+m a year.

You can't read and you have mental problems as well.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Freescooter, she didn't say what you said she said.

She said the vast majority of Presidents involved with CR were not cognizant of how important football was. This is 100% the truth. That's entirely different than what you portrayed. Not only that but I found she put UConn football in a pretty good context to explain how far it's come. I can't imagine a single thing that you had a problem with.

What I found quite interesting is that in addressing the disappointment of the loss to Towson is that she didn't reinforce the idea that PP knows what he's doing, nor did she express confidence that he will right the ship, but instead she talked about Warde Manuel and what he's doing to improve UConn football, what his credentials are, what it takes to win in the bigtime.

You guys didn't find that interesting? I thought that was pretty damning.

"instead she talked about Warde Manuel and what he's doing to improve UConn football, what his credentials are, what it takes to win in the bigtime", and thereby proving your point that she is in fact clueless about athletics, and the administration thereof...

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
You're right,upstater on the Pasqualoni non-comments. As for the rest, we disagree as per usual I guess. If you're going to tell me the President of Notre Dame and the President of Louisville didn't get that football was critical...Syracuse and Pitt got it too for that matter, I don't know what to tell you. And Mike, I've said over and over here and elsewhere, I think Herbst is doing a great job at building the university. But it is my sense that she neither understands nor care about athletics. Her public statements on the subject range from clueless to downright embarrassing and she should just avoid the topic except to cheer lead for one or another team when they win a title. Otherwise just change the subject to STEM and cutting edge medical research that will be taking place at the Medical School.

THIS times a TRILLION...

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
Then maybe you should stop following UCONN all together since you already have the team and athletics downgraded.

I didn't have an issue with what she said. She trust Warde Manuel on football and athletics as she should.

Its shocking how much support warde has around here.

Reaction Score
"instead she talked about Warde Manuel and what he's doing to improve UConn football, what his credentials are, what it takes to win in the bigtime", and thereby proving your point that she is in fact clueless about athletics, and the administration thereof...

That's exactly right. She's relying on someone (who by the way gets paid almost as much as she does) for his expertise.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
That's exactly right. She's relying on someone (who by the way gets paid almost as much as she does) for his expertise.

PP makes a lot of money, but more people than not have finally come to believe he was a bad choice.

Same applies to Warde. Once I realize someone I rely on isnt competent, I dont rely on them any longer.

Simple stuff.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
PP makes a lot of money, but more people than not have finally come to believe he was a bad choice.

Same applies to Warde. Once I realize someone I rely on isnt competent, I dont rely on them any longer.

Simple stuff.

Your an expert on this how? I have talked to a number of people and they think Warde Manuel knows what he is doing as do I. Just because he didn't fire HCPP yet doesn't mean he doesn't know what he is doing.

Reaction Score
"Athletics is the front porch of the University," says President Herbst. "It grabs the attention of the American people, then you can open the door and show them the great teaching, learning, and research inside." The new facility will help maintain high levels of academic success for basketball student-athletes and advance the entire university and the community, she adds.

Am I missing something? Some melodramatic posters here.

Reaction Score
Nitpicking aside, those who want Warde fired mostly cite 3 things:

1) CR - and most people would agree if he had been here long enough. But this can't be laid at his feet and made a firing offense because he didn't get it done.

2) How he handled Ollie - tough situation. We ended up in the right spot (unless you think we should have gone outside which is what he wanted to do anyway) so hard to fire him for that.

3) Not firing PP last year - I think the case was there to fire PP but most coaches get 3 years.

The rest of it is noise. To me, the single most important thing he can do is hire the right coach this December. And if he does he will have set us up to be successful. So to me it is an incomplete.

Defending Warde against things that he couldn't necessarily control (1 and 2) and a choice that was reasonable (if unpopular in 3) isn't blind loyalty. I, along with many others here, would have preferred a different candidate in retrospect. But I'm not ready to fire him. He is a football guy and I expect that he will hire the right coach and we can move forward.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure that is clear at all. Like lots of new CEOs she replaced a number of managers with her people. Not all of them were necessarily doing a poor job and at least a couple of those changes have lead to some pretty bitter feelings among some faculty members at some UConn schools located away from Storrs. Whether she evaluates "her team" quite the same way remains to be seen. Not saying she won't be equally demanding. She might. But it is a lot easier to find fault with the other guy's appointees than one's own, I have found (as both an appointee and an appointer, I confess).

She has been very clear and public about her goals for the university. If she brings in her own people and they don't meet goals she and her team will have to answer for that. I'm sure there are no shortage of people that will call her out at every turn.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Susie's office never responded to or even acknowledged my e-mail. A tad bit disappointing

I wasn't vulgar or obnoxious, I merely questioned why they are delaying the obvious. Pointed out that she has to "trust her eyes" and end the misery.

She's the one that stated the athletic department is "the front porch to the university". She knows the successful basketball programs made everything else possible.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
So I finally had a chance to listen and in regards to Dankosky's question about the football performance I have to say it was blindingly obvious that she went out of her way to avoid talking about Pasqualoni. By talking about Warde being a football guy from Michigan and then saying "we'll see" about this season, it should be very clear that Herbst is deliberately not defending P and the pressure is on. And I think her line about how far the program has come, mentioning beating Louisville last year - I have a feeling she has her elevator pitch for the ACC / B1G ready to go (my only note here would be to toss in Notre Dame and South Carolina as well). Notice also she did not go out of her way to mention the AAC in this interview (though she would have if asked about it directly).

Reaction Score
Yes 40% of the tickets were given away. And you left out the $9 million in student fees in addition to the direct subsidy. The article even said you're in the hole $28+m a year.

You can't read and you have mental problems as well.

Sorry, can't reply now. Still on my victory lap after destroying you.

Reaction Score

Simple stuff.

I make my decisions on complete information.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
I make my decisions on complete information.

Solid policy. If I was responsible for evaluating his employment, I'd prefer to act upon complete information.

Since I'm not on the inside, I have incomplete info. Maybe you know something from the inside I don't.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
Your an expert on this how? I have talked to a number of people and they think Warde Manuel knows what he is doing as do I. Just because he didn't fire HCPP yet doesn't mean he doesn't know what he is doing.

Bill, Im certainly no expert. Where you get that? just a diehard fan/alum/state resident of the opinion that Warde hasn't impressed me with the expertise upstarter mentioned. You're happy with warde. That's fine. Sorry i dont agree with you and "the number of people" you've talked to who "think Warde knows what he's doing."

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The rest of it is noise. To me, the single most important thing he can do is hire the right coach this December. And if he does he will have set us up to be successful. So to me it is an incomplete.

I think you could have added the dead-in-the-water "rebranding". But I agree overall, he gets an incomplete. The situation still needs to be monitored.

Reaction Score
I think you could have added the dead-in-the-water "rebranding". But I agree overall, he gets an incomplete. The situation still needs to be monitored.

That's fair. Although the rebranding wasn't solely his - that's on Herbst as well. I think she owns that one.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
Nitpicking aside, those who want Warde fired mostly cite 3 things:

1) CR - and most people would agree if he had been here long enough. But this can't be laid at his feet and made a firing offense because he didn't get it done.

2) How he handled Ollie - tough situation. We ended up in the right spot (unless you think we should have gone outside which is what he wanted to do anyway) so hard to fire him for that.

3) Not firing PP last year - I think the case was there to fire PP but most coaches get 3 years.

Defending Warde against things that he couldn't necessarily control (1 and 2) and a choice that was reasonable (if unpopular in 3) isn't blind loyalty. I, along with many others here, would have preferred a different candidate in retrospect. But I'm not ready to fire him. He is a football guy and I expect that he will hire the right coach and we can move forward.

Mostly fair enough. Where I disagree with you, upstarter, ctmike, jungle, bill and seemingly the majority of the fanbase is your last sentence. Im terrified at the proposition of Warde selecting the next coach. Only time will tell, but I pray your confidence in him is well placed and my instincts are wrong.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Mostly fair enough. Where I disagree with you, upstarter, ctmike, jungle, bill and seemingly the majority of the fanbase is your last sentence. Im terrified at the proposition of Warde selecting the next coach. Only time will tell, but I pray your confidence in him is well placed and my instincts are wrong.

I have more faith in Manuel than I did when Hathaway decided who would lead UCONN football.

Reaction Score
and she's being interviewed about UConn football...on NPR of all places. Kind of confirmed my view that when it comes to athletics, she is either clueless or doesn't much care. Highlights of her comments: 1. We're not Alabama, nor are we LSU (did youknow Towson almost beat LSU last year? Not really but that what she was told to say if Town came up I imagine...NPR listeners and all). We're also not Michigan. freescooter interpretation: We're going to be in the American Athletic Conference for a good long while.
2. She was caught off guard by how important football was to conference re-alignment. Yes she actually said that. freescooter interpretation: Suze doesn't read the Boneyard. In fact it is doubtful that she has ever read the sports page of any newspaper or even some pieces in the Journal of Higher Education...
3. Don't worry about football. Warde Manuel knows football. He played football at Michigan. freescooter interpretation: A. Warde ain't going anywhere. B. The fact that a team with 5 NFL players on it finished 5-7 didn't lead Warde to see that the Coach might be lacking in some regard makes one wonder whether we might be better off with an AD who actually knows results and to hell with his knowledge of football...
But #2 is the thing that is of the greatest concern. In her defense, she said she and other college presidents. I think she muct have been talking about the presidents of Connecticut College, Trinity and Wesleyan...football isn't a factor in re-alignment of the NESCAC as far as I know.

I actually was in my car at the same time and listening to the interview. What you said is a distorted version of how the interview went. I thought she handled the sports questions fairly well. People can have their own opinion on what she said but I would advise not basing it on freescooters version. Instead try listening to what she actually did say. The link below has the recorded interview, and they talk about uconn football starting around the 41/42 minute.

http://www.yourpublicmedia.org/node/27121

After listening to a large part of the interview it made me like Herbst even more. She called out the NPR guy several times for asking stupid questions. As someone who listens to NPR daily and has a lot of respect for the overall program, some of the NPR interviewers come off as though they are the best thing since peanut butter, but in fact they do ask stupid questions and make stupid remarks on a regular basis...just like the rest of us. Its nice to hear some of the interviewees bring the NPR people down to earth every once in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom