Snowblowers | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Snowblowers

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Grizzled Winter Warriors,

Anyone have a snowblower brand/model they swear by? Anyone have expertise in this area?

Just bought a home up in Vermont and I'm getting ready for the 72" of annual snowfall expected. I don't mind spending premium dollars to increase the rate of snow removal and decrease the amount of time I have to be out in extreme cold.

Is there a significant enough difference between two and three stage blowers? Does the increase in moving parts increase the required maintenance?

What's the Cadillac brand?

Gracias

Reaction Score
Bringing this back! I have a relatively small, flat driveway and I decided last year I'm sick of shoveling. I'm in Central CT so typical smaller snowfalls with your occasional bigger storm. Would a single-stage be adequate or should I just spend more of a dual stage one?

See my earlier post Snowblowers

The blower I got was this:
Toro Power Clear® 821 QZE (21") 252cc 4-Cycle Single-Stage Snow Blower w/ Electric Start
Model: 38757

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Ariens IMO best brand. Inherited one that was 3x times the size of the one I had at my old house when we bought my in laws place. Can’t wait for a snowstorm

Reaction Score
Something with tracks versus wheels. Last huge storm a few years back....two of my neighbors had these older Hondas on tracks and they were plowing everyone else out since they were having such a good time. Have no idea what they were, but they didn't appear extremely big.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I have a simplicity bought new 2 years ago and works great. Whatever brand you buy do this to it game changer.

I tried that years ago and it didn't work well for me. You need friction on the impeller. Maybe I'll try again.

Reaction Score
I tried that years ago and it didn't work well for me. You need friction on the impeller. Maybe I'll try again.
I believe the key to it is applying multiple coats.I bought the bottle off Amazon and had enough for 3 coats. Just be sure to wait a day for it to cure and do it outside. Works really well for me.

Reaction Score
Something with tracks versus wheels. Last huge storm a few years back....two of my neighbors had these older Hondas on tracks and they were plowing everyone else out since they were having such a good time. Have no idea what they were, but they didn't appear extremely big.
Honda track. It's a beast, not a light machine

Reaction Score

That’s my machine and I know it’s expensive (had to sell it to the wife) but I would say this, if you plan on being in your home a long time and you have a sloped driveway it might be worth it. It’s kind of fun to be out there in your driveway at the same time as the neighbors as you throw snow twice as far in a “mine is bigger than yours deal” as you finish in about 1/2 the time. I snicker at the idiot across the street who I dislike and is out there with a pea shooter.

Reaction Score
Colchester
I live in Waterbury Center Vt and have a Cub Cadet 3 stage machine and to be honest while it is an excellent snow blower I wish I had purchased a smaller unit. It definitely handles everything we get. Be sure to get one with heated handles and turning capabilities. The amount of snow comes because it seems like we get a couple of inches every other night, not large snowfalls and Colchester is not an area that gets a large amount of snow as it is on the lake. Don't get a machine too big is my advice.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I live in Waterbury Center Vt and have a Cub Cadet 3 stage machine and to be honest while it is an excellent snow blower I wish I had purchased a smaller unit. It definitely handles everything we get. Be sure to get one with heated handles and turning capabilities. The amount of snow comes because it seems like we get a couple of inches every other night, not large snowfalls and Colchester is not an area that gets a large amount of snow as it is on the lake. Don't get a machine too big is my advice.

Actually just got a club cadet 2X 26" and set it up today. Hopefully based on your review it seems like I may have made a good choice.

Reaction Score
What's this snowblower thing you are talking about? I never see them here at Home Depot, Lowe's or Ace?? Wait, I think I know but hopefully I won't need it in Florida!!

Reaction Score
What's this snowblower thing you are talking about? I never see them here at Home Depot, Lowe's or Ace?? Wait, I think I know but hopefully I won't need it in Florida!!
I bought a battery blower at a place here and asked where their snowblowers were. This is insane but I actually enjoy blowing snow and look forward to it. I know it's crazy.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Collectively, across a bunch of different properties, we own about 40 snowblowers.

For home use, get a Toro 824. They are indestructible.

For commercial use, we generally stick with Ariens, but they are more fickle and need more attention. We have them serviced on-site yearly, so not a hassle for us.

Landscaping got too expensive, so I bought a Toro Timemaster. No regrets. Great machine.

Plowing isn't too expensive, but I'm tired of damage to my lawn and irrigation system. The lawn isn't too difficult to repair, but reseeding in the spring means I can't use crabgrass pre-emergent on that part of the lawn. Crabgrass takes over by mid July, and two feet on each side of my lawn is entirely crabgrass - every year. And they usually take out a couple irrigation heads (~$200/yr).

Time to buy a snowblower.

I'm looking at either the Toro 38842, 2 stage, 32" or the Toro Power Max HD 928 OAE 38840, 2 stage, 28".

Other than width, the only difference is heated handles (don't care), engine size (375 vs 265), and freewheel steering.

Is the engine size and free wheel steering worth an extra $400? Worth noting, I'm lazy and out of shape.

FB41F130-D3D5-46D2-8A9C-A1DBEC766835.jpeg

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Landscaping got too expensive, so I bought a Toro Timemaster. No regrets. Great machine.

Plowing isn't too expensive, but I'm tired of damage to my lawn and irrigation system. The lawn isn't too difficult to repair, but reseeding in the spring means I can't use crabgrass pre-emergent on that part of the lawn. Crabgrass takes over by mid July, and two feet on each side of my lawn is entirely crabgrass - every year. And they usually take out a couple irrigation heads (~$200/yr).

Time to buy a snowblower.

I'm looking at either the Toro 38842, 2 stage, 32" or the Toro Power Max HD 928 OAE 38840, 2 stage, 28".

Other than width, the only difference is heated handles (don't care), engine size (375 vs 265), and freewheel steering.

Is the engine size and free wheel steering worth an extra $400? Worth noting, I'm lazy and out of shape.

View attachment 78540
Toro makes good lawnmowers. For snowblowers, I would go Ariens and if you want to spend Toro money, get a Honda. Wouldn't touch a Cub Cadet.

Reaction Score
Toro makes good lawnmowers. For snowblowers, I would go Ariens and if you want to spend Toro money, get a Honda. Wouldn't touch a Cub Cadet.

Honda is the best, the one downside…price.

Reaction Score

Agree with everything you say, but I inherited a very big 3 stage Cub Cadet snow blower that was about 3 or 4 years old. I have used it now for 3 years and it just keeps on ticking. Not bad for a 6 or 7 year old snowblower. My driveway is fairly level (a very slight downward grade) but it is about 400 feet long. I would never pay for Cub Cadet motorized equipment but this thing just keeps on going.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
This summer has me questioning whether it is ever going to snow again. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom