Snowblowers | The Boneyard

Snowblowers

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Grizzled Winter Warriors,

Anyone have a snowblower brand/model they swear by? Anyone have expertise in this area?

Just bought a home up in Vermont and I'm getting ready for the 72" of annual snowfall expected. I don't mind spending premium dollars to increase the rate of snow removal and decrease the amount of time I have to be out in extreme cold.

Is there a significant enough difference between two and three stage blowers? Does the increase in moving parts increase the required maintenance?

What's the Cadillac brand?

Gracias

Reaction Score
I’ll be watching this thread also. Until I move to Florida, I need to stay on top of this. My current snowblower is 28 years old and while it works, it’s time. I will miss it, we were together for many a blizzard and nor’easter.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I have a 24” Ariens - it’s about 4 years old and has been a trusty steed every winter.

How much will you have to remove? You’re in a territory where you might want to consider a tractor attachment or even a plow if you have a truck. Otherwise you’re going to want a minimum of a 24” that’s self propelled.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I have a 24” Ariens - it’s about 4 years old and has been a trusty steed every winter.

How much will you have to remove? You’re in a territory where you might want to consider a tractor attachment or even a plow if you have a truck. Otherwise you’re going to want a minimum of a 24” that’s self propelled.
The driveway is small (thank god) and I would say the expected snowfall on average is 30% more than the northwest hills of CT where I’m from. I think we’re in the territory you’re referencing.

Reaction Score
Had a Simplicity 2-stage in Tolland. Was still working after 12 years of heavy use when I moved out of the area. I'm 5 feet tall, 110 and had no issues using it on my very sloped driveway. Had 5-6 speeds and just ate up the snow.

Reaction Score
If you want heavy duty, Ariens are beasts and great machines for both getting the job done but also lasting a long time. The three stage is supposedly is a LOT more maintenance.

That being said, how big is your driveway? The reason I ask is I get a LOT of snow too and replaced my smaller snowblower last year with a Toro 8hp single stage. Yes, 8 HP! That is massive for a single stage. To my surprise, this thing cuts through every snowfall like it is nothing. I never once pulled out the big 2 stage unit last year... even when we had 10 or more inches of heavy wet stuff or at the end of the driveway.

Now, it doesn't have heated handles and it doesn't steer itself and whatnot... but I find I can do my smaller/medium-ish driveway MUCH faster with this bad boy than I can with the 2 stage because it's so much more nimble and has ridiculous power for a single stage. So in years past, one would usually consider how much snow you get and what type, with this machine you can think more in terms of area you want to clear because it can do whatever you need it to do, faster than a 2 stager if you don't have a big area.

Keep in mind, if you have a long driveway or huge drifts it can still do the job, but then you'd want to revert back to the traditional thinking.

Reaction Score
Anyone use a Champion? It seems to have the higher end features without the higher cost. Rating seem good too.

Champion 30 inch
Champion is/was mainly a generator company... well, actually an engine manufacturer. They are based (I think) in the US but manufacturing is in China or something. But they push the fact that design, engineering, R&D, customer support, etc is all US and Canada based. I know they do some leading edge R&D based in Milwaukee, which makes sense b/c there is a large pool of engineers who work with small engine companies that are based in WI (Briggs and Stratton, Generac, formerly Kohler engines, Ariens, etc).

As for quality, not sure. Generators seem to get good reliability reviews. The company is too new into the snowblower game I think to really know? The company itself is less than 20 years old.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I bought an Ariens last winter. Pricey but its the top-of-the-line and is incredible. Have a medium-sized driveway, two lanes wide, prob about 60' long.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Had a Simplicity 2-stage in Tolland. Was still working after 12 years of heavy use when I moved out of the area. I'm 5 feet tall, 110 and had no issues using it on my very sloped driveway. Had 5-6 speeds and just ate up the snow.

Where are you in Tolland Kathy? Grew up there and my parents still live on Gehring Rd.

Reaction Score
Champion is/was mainly a generator company... well, actually an engine manufacturer. They are based (I think) in the US but manufacturing is in China or something. But they push the fact that design, engineering, R&D, customer support, etc is all US and Canada based.

I’ll pay more for US manufacturing. I won’t buy China. Hopefully, I can write this here.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
This brought back memories to me of what seemed like a new era for the Knicks but instead became a lot of fan frustration. I didn't know about the drugs until now. I just remember that a NY Post writer referred to the unceasingly injured Bill Cartwright as "Medical Bill." I do remember a time that Ray Williams and Michael Ray played side by side which was exciting but they never could go anywhere. That is around the time that I stopped following them and the NBA and at that point Uconn and the Big East became my basketball obsession. I can still hear Marv Alpert saying RRRRRRRRRRaaaaaaYY Williams on a breakaway basket for the Knicks.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Ariens 24” SHO. Same impeller and same motor as the 30”. Absolutely eats snow. Mine will throw power 30’.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Collectively, across a bunch of different properties, we own about 40 snowblowers.

For home use, get a Toro 824. They are indestructible.

For commercial use, we generally stick with Ariens, but they are more fickle and need more attention. We have them serviced on-site yearly, so not a hassle for us.

Reaction Score
Where in VT are you going? 72 inches sounds like Burlington or Brattleboro. If you are in the hills or mountains, buy a snowblower capable of a much heavier work load.

Reaction Score
I have an 24” Ariens and am happy with it. Seems to bog down when there’s too much load. Damn differential for the rear wheels is finicky, it’s actuated by a lever but I think they refined it now. I keep it in the lock position. In hindsight, I should’ve bought the largest engine (more power)that came with the 24”.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Another Ariel’s rec here. Only thing it struggles with is heavily treated snow, but maybe most do?

Reaction Score
Go 8HP with whatever you buy. Ariens is very good but it all comes down to offseason maintenance due to ethanol in the gas. Maybe up in Vermont you will get less wet snow like we get in Eastern CT which is a PIA. 2 stage throwers are also recommended.

Reaction Score
I had Toro 2 stage for over 30 years then moved to Florida and gave it to my niece in CT.

It was good for all except the 3 ft storm we got in Guilford a few years ago.

Definitely make sure it is sized right for your new situation.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Ariens 24" compact. Beast. I can easily throw snow and hit my neighbor's house. I have a slight incline on driveway and it's fine. It can throw snow over large piles as well (think snowmaggedon from 5 or so years ago). The word on the street is that you should not buy them from the big box stores as their models tend to have some junk parts. Can neither confirm nor deny but bought mine from a local guy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom