Seton Hall Postgame Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Seton Hall Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well, last game, Evina, had 0 points in about 25 minutes, but bounced back nicely today.

I think there is a good chance CW, who had 0 pts in about 25 minutes today, can also bounce back next game.

It is mental, but slumps happen. She will come out of it stronger, once it's over.

Wishing CW positive vibes and full support.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is the second straight game in which the offense started (in the first quarter of each game) with Liv out high, and with the defense ignoring her there while covering the people that she might pass to. In both games, she reacted by taking several foul line jump shots and missing most of them. In my opinion, that is the root cause of the slow starts in both games.

In the second half tonight, it looked as if Geno made an adjustment to have Liv posting low rather than high. In that position, she has to draw defensive attention. She may get immediate double teams and not be able to score down there, but she can pass to others who will then be open to shoot, and that is better percentage bet than her shots from the elbow. That is especially true if Christyn is either shooting effectively or not playing, as Geno also discovered in the third quarter.

By next season, Liv absolutely has to make that 15-foot shot reliable -- it should be her top improvement priority, even over developing a hook shot. The midrange jump shot, if it works, would turbocharge the entire offense. I think that is an attainable goal for her.
Liv has poor shooting mechanics.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
@GRIFFBIFF20 and @CocoHusky

Animated GIF

Reaction Score
I think the coaches have given her every opportunity to snap out of her slump. I actually believe they would be helping her by taking her out of the starting lineup. Bring her in off the bench and help take the pressure off. I can’t think of any other way to help her help herself.
I hope Anna can return this season. We are badly in need of a spot up shooter amd three point threat. At least with Evina her shots are close from three. Muhl and CWill shots can look like clunkers.

Reaction Score
nothing surprising about a performance like this after the South Carolina battle...........take the win and get some rest..........Georgetown should be a more relaxing game.........
What’s your take on Williams? Will she turn it around for us, especially against good teams?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I was surprised by the number of trips to the free throw line and the number of foul calls for each team. I can't remember a game recently that had this low of a number for both.

Reaction Score
She needs a shot doctor
You’re right. She has an odd release that no one has noticed and helped her correct. Instead of pressuring the ball a little with her fingers and spinning/rotating the seams vertically with her two middle ones, she sort of balances the ball on her palm and lets it rotate sideways off her two outside fingers and it comes out almost like a knuckleball with no rotation. Not much chance for consistency.

Reaction Score
CW had a good freshman season because she was the 4th/5th option. They had a mobile big in Collier which could score inside. And Lou, Walker, and Dangerfield were great shooters. The lanes were open for her to drive and hit from the midrange. She only ever took wide open 3s and shot respectably.

Now our offense has changed to play to the strength of Bueckers. We aren’t a great shooting team and the lane is always clogged. That combined with unfortunately shooting from CW seems to be the issue. She can’t get to the rim, and our offense is not generating her tons of looks.

I agree that when Fudd comes, we will have two knockdown shooters. If EW comes back, CW might see her minutes drop, just by virtue of having players better equipped to play her role. Unfortunate, but something you sign up for when you come to uconn. She’ll be an important player for us the rest of her career, but she may never be that top option many expected her to be coming out of high school. Her big issue is the fact that she’s just not a good shooter for a guard.

Reaction Score
Important to note that was 4 games in 8 days and they were noticeably sluggish especially after an emotionally draining Monday night. I was very happy that Evina was back to being Evina. She has to drive more, in fact regularly. She has a good pull up as well which she showed tonight. Geno said that things open up for the team when she does drive so let's hope she does. Reading between the lines of what Geno said after the game about CW, he didn't seem to know what to do or at least wasn't saying what he is thinking. The idea that she will somehow snap out of this is a myth. She has some real mechanical deficiencies in her shot as pointed out above and a different mental outlook is not going to fix it permanently.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Here we go with another matter of fact statement. It's a myth that she will snap out of it. Yes, and it was a myth that Nika would not help the team.

Reaction Score
CW is a winner and she'll be back. Be nice if they would play to her strength. She seems to get stuck in this pick offense that doesn't have any rythm. Liv, AE and AG lack of shooting clogs her pathways to the basket. Look forward to Geno helping her get her groove back.
It’s the same offense that she shot 12 for 16 in against Marquette

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Advance admission:
I didn't see the game...even the Fox gambit doesn't seem too work up here...
So I listen to the radio...but turned it off before the big spurts...too painful.
With that in mind:

About previously happy-go-lucky Christyn: I theorize her whole problem is concern what her role is going to be on this team...especially next year...
Some kids welcome the competition and some fade...Its all in her head.
She was heralded as an important leader; she seems to not be able to fill those shoes and I think its driving her to distraction.

About Mamma E...She's been physically compromised the last few days...I think many thought she wouldn't play tonight or for a while...but obviously, she felt better and was able to contribute (mightily).

About Nika: She had a freshman game tonight...Apparently tried to play too fast; lost the feel that she had the last few...Bob Joyce noted Geno speaking to her...she'll be fine...Its a sliver of difference between positive, great aggression and overplaying and speeding.

I, for one, do not understand positioning Liv on the outside...
she's not hitting (enough) shots from out there and the opponents can just ignore her as South Carolina did...apparently Geno changed her positioning with better results.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They won. Paige sluggish start. EW and Ono nice games. First time Nika had no energy. AG and AG okay. CW is just lost offensively and it hurts. Bring on Georgetown.
Nika had 1 too many cups of coffee before the game... way too fast and out of control. These kids need to learn how to slow the game down like Paige does. Way too much indecision by almost all of them.

Reaction Score
What’s your take on Williams? Will she turn it around for us, especially against good teams?
I'm baffled by her inconsistency that seems to be far more mental than physical.........I also happen to think she's playing with a nagging injury.........there's still time to get her straightened out and hopefully playing Georgetown will help the process......

Reaction Score
I just don’t think Christyn is as good as we predicted she was going to be. Either that or the pressure to perform at UConn just gets the best of her.

Reaction Score
Geno says no more home games until March, so all of these games coming up the next few weeks will all be on the road. Come out slow, lethargic, on the road, wouldn't surprise me if we drop a game or two.

Reaction Score
Geno says no more home games until March, so all of these games coming up the next few weeks will all be on the road. Come out slow, lethargic, on the road, wouldn't surprise me if we drop a game or two.
I highly doubt that unless we're facing DePaul and I don't think we have any games left with them.

Reaction Score
Is it time for Geno to pull the plug on Williams? The team almost always plays better when she is not on the court.
I feel so bad for Christyn! I really hope she is being counseled (and comforted) by someone. She just seems lost. She definitely has a big role to play on this team and I hope the staff and her fellow players can somehow help her out of this and back to being a productive, happy member of this team!

Reaction Score
I highly doubt that unless we're facing DePaul and I don't think we have any games left with them.
That's when you get bit - games where you least expect it. Come out slow, other team plays out of its mind or gets hot from 3, and there ya go. Even Stewie and Co. had some close calls notably that one game down at Tulane.

Reaction Score
The postponed games with Providence and Villanova are unlikely to be rescheduled at this juncture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom