Seton Hall Postgame Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Seton Hall Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The best basketball coach I ever had told me that if I shot and the ball popped out of the basket, he said the shot was "touched" but mentally consider it made.
Paige had two misses in the first half that went in and came out, if they stayed in , her sluggish start would not exist.

Reaction Score
On the post game, Kara said this team has so many weapons that anyone on any given night can go off.....ughhh no, not true and that’s our dilemma this year unlike most years. Next year we will get to that point. Also this is the Evina we all know. She played great and that’s why I gave her a pass last game. Some of you were right she was hurting. Unless a team gets super hot like Arkansas did, we should be able to beat anyone, except Stanford scares me. I feel like they aren’t really better than us but watching them they are the only team maybe Louisville also, that we can’t have our main players not contribute and expect to win. Williams and ONO have what it takes it’s just Geno needs to do some of his best coaching to get them right. If he does we got this.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
COCO - All I have to say is that UCONN Won, Aubrey had another solid game and AEH played another outstanding game for Seton Hall. Thus, to you:

View attachment 64493
1613008022781.jpeg

Reaction Score
If the players were so tired, why didn't Geno put in some subs to finish the game when Uconn was up by 17 with 3:30 min to go, especially with another game coming up Friday night? I don't get it.
Because he's not playing to win this game. He's playing for March.
Players need to play through fatigue.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
You knew this game was going to be off when Paige missed that early 3 pt shot badly to start the game. Paige and Evina pushed through the fatigue well in the 2nd half but I was surprised Nika looked so flat. Good energy from Aliyah and Aubrey but they will need to be a threat to at least 10 feet. Even Geno was tired and did not really blast his team like he could have at half time. Cant grade Li since she has such a physical advantage but seems determined to be a 15['; shooter seemingly with coach support.

The Defense after the 1Q was good although a few 3pt makes were less contested than you would want but in the 2nd half, forced them to put it on the floor. Scouted well and I do not even recall any layups.

Reaction Score
Because he's not playing to win this game. He's playing for March.
Players need to play through fatigue.

Yeah, I remember a few years ago when he was playing Lou, Pheesa, Gabby so much during the season (and he even said then that they should not be doing that) and they look tired and slow during the tournament.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
My how Geno has mellowed no snark at the half or post game.
Mom always said if you don't have anything good to say don't say anything. #2 vs #65.....
I'm going to sit this one out. ;)

I think Geno was as emotionally tired as his team was. Also, as Geno and others have said, as the season gets closer to tournament time, he starts switching from harsh critic to a conveyer of optimism

Reaction Score
My how Geno has mellowed no snark at the half or post game.
Mom always said if you don't have anything good to say don't say anything. #2 vs #65.....
I'm going to sit this one out. ;)
I guess Geno has changed for the better since 2017 ?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Good part, we can still be #1 next week. I worried this at the half time break.
If UConn had lost, they would not have achieved number one again this season. Also, UConn fans complaining again, DePaul struggled big time against St. John's tonight. It happens to a number of teams. We need to get used to it.

Reaction Score
I think he one thing we need to find as we head into the tournament is there anyone who can be a consistent offensive threat game in and game out aside from Paige.

Each player has had their moments during a game or for the game, but I am not sure I still see that solid #2 scorer who we know will show up night in and night out. I though that would be Evina, and still may be, but I think she’s still finding her way back from her long absence. Nika can give you some spurts, but she doesn’t take many shots. Do they come on, does CW find her touch again, is it Olivia....that is what I am curious to see as I watch the remaining games.

Reaction Score
A rough game for the team in general. Definitely looked zapped from the SC game Monday night. Hopefully stating Friday they can get their energy back and into a rhythm going forward.
  • Paige - played well but could tell she looked tired from Monday’s heroics. Even then she was huge with her hitting shots for our team
  • Liv - played really well. Still needs to work on her shot but this is the type of role I think she will thrive in. Lots of passing and setting screens and then get rebounds amd cut to basket for easy buckets. An occasional shot here and there is ok but I don’t like her taking too many of those even if teams are giving her the open look all day long
  • Evina - she is the key for us going forward because I am 99% certain that we cannot count on CWill on hitting any type of jumper on a consistent basis. E has a smooth mid range and savvy moves around the basket. She did a lot for us today. Really nice to see she bounced back after a couple of games where it looked like she was limited by injury
  • Aubrey - I though was great on defense and and was aggressive going to the hoop. Her shot is still a mystery and why she can’t hit open shots but I’m going to hope that she will make them down the road as she gets more experience and confidence
  • Nika - didn’t have her best game tonight, but to me still played better than CWill. I trust her shooting a few threes and hitting around 30-35%. She brings energy and can guard some quick guards and help take some pressure off E and Paige. Just hope she can work on being more shot clock aware
  • Aliyah Edward- another solid game. You know what you’re going to get out of her. I have complete trust in her game. Ow and she’s learned not to foul as often Shi his huge for us. She’s such a huge energy boost for us both on defense and rebounding and scoring down low
  • CWill - lots of us have been saying not to worry about Williams but I think we need to. She had a 8 foot pull up and badly missed. She had a two on one with Liv and passed back out to the top of the key. She doesn’t drive enough to make her get to the foul line. She’s regressed back to if she doesn’t hot shots she starts to shrink and zone out of the game. I have no idea how this can happen to a player that’s been playing so long and been considered a scorer. I once thought she would be the next Asia Durr. But now she is playing worse than Nika Muhl. Don’t know how we can win it all if she’s such a liability on her shot. Teams are already sagging on Liv and Edwards soon they will for Williams too and essentially you’re asking E and Paige to consistently hit shots with defenses keyed in on two players. Almost will be impossible for us to do well against top defensive teams in the tournament. I AM HOPING I AM WRONG. But been hoping for a long time now.

Reaction Score
Just a couple thoughts on CW.

1) She played hard defense tonight, and has been lately.

2) She’s clearly in some kind of offensive funk. I’m thinking maybe she expected herself to take more of the leadership role that was hyped (and self-hyped) for the juniors all preseason. And now that Paige, who basically plays her same position, has asserted herself more, and clearly understands the offense better and is basically directing the team... Christyn doesn’t seem suited for the leadership role - maybe she feels like she has failed somehow.

Or maybe she’s just been hurt and we don’t know it. Maybe she just needs a break to get her head together. Maybe Geno should invent a hurt toe and give her the next game off to sulk, and then it’s put up or sit.

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
You knew this game was going to be off when Paige missed that early 3 pt shot badly to start the game. Paige and Evina pushed through the fatigue well in the 2nd half but I was surprised Nika looked so flat. Good energy from Aliyah and Aubrey but they will need to be a threat to at least 10 feet. Even Geno was tired and did not really blast his team like he could have at half time. Cant grade Li since she has such a physical advantage but seems determined to be a 15['; shooter seemingly with coach support.

The Defense after the 1Q was good although a few 3pt makes were less contested than you would want but in the 2nd half, forced them to put it on the floor. Scouted well and I do not even recall any layups.
Geno knows that if Liv ever starts hitting that 15 ft shot it will help unclog the lane and bring the other team's post player away from the basket.

Reaction Score
Is it time for Geno to pull the plug on Williams? The team almost always plays better when she is not on the court.
It is really painful to watch CW. At the beginning of the year she was being counted on to lead the team this year, and since the season began it's quite clear that she is not leading as that has fallen upon Paige. It's got to be messing with her head, you can tell she is trying hard (maybe trying too hard) but nothing good in the past two games. I hope she gets out of whatever funk she's in, but no sign of that happening anytime soon.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Overall Talent Won out Tonight. UConn had at least 4 of the 5 Best starting players. Some may choose AEH or Park-Lane over Nika Muhl. Some would say Nika is more talented then any of the Seton Hall starters. Then you add Aaliyah Edwards and Aubrey coming off the bench and that means UConn had 6 or 7 of the Top 8 players in the game. Seton Hall didn't have the talent to pull off the upset, no matter how poorly UConn played. It was just a matter of time before order was restored and UConn won the game going away. This is the type of game, that if UConn played in a P5 Conference they may not have won. I do realize UConn may not have come out flat if they played a team with more talent.

Despite how poorly Christyn played she still is a better player than any of the Seton Hall players.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro