Sanogo's the star, but Clingan's paint protection changed the game | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Sanogo's the star, but Clingan's paint protection changed the game

Reaction Score
Yep I said the same in the Post game Thread. Clingan has a bigger impact on this game than Sanogo. The problem with Sanogo is his defense is normally below average so when he scores on one side the other team comes back and gets an easy bucket inside against him. You can't punk Clingan like that.
There were a couple of times today that Sanogo on defense just a couple feet from the basket literally turned his back on the guy with the ball. Drives me nuts.

Reaction Score
We need to figure out the Sanogo/Clingan starting lineup next year. You shouldn’t let one star go because you have another lined up without a fight.
That’s easy.Adama will be getting paid while Donavon will start for us
Sanogo's decision is "Will I make more money overseas/g league or NIL at UConn and does Hurley want me back or did he promise Clingan 25-30 min and wants to keep our current offensive philosophy"
adama does not make NIL $ under the current rules

Reaction Score
As a foreign player here on a student visa he is not allowed to participate in NIL. Geno explained it very well in yesterday’s post game press conference. It’s a government thing, not an NCAA prohibition.

This is not accurate. They just need to get deals overseas. I don't know the exact reasons, but the foreign athletes are all going down to the Bahamas to get their NIL. Samson and Sanogo went down there this winter break. Oscar Tshiebwe is pulling almost 3 million in NIL money this season and he's Congolese.

Reaction Score
There were a couple of times today that Sanogo on defense just a couple feet from the basket literally turned his back on the guy with the ball. Drives me nuts.

Same here 990411 I saw them and others in game 1. I am not sure for the reason but it's frustrating as his help defense would be incredibly helpful if it existed. Not saying we need him to block shots just get in the way at times, arms up. His offense though is sensational so if it means staying on the court then it is what it is. But the OP has this correct it's a huge difference on that end with DC in the game.

Reaction Score
This is not accurate. They just need to get deals overseas. I don't know the exact reasons, but the foreign athletes are all going down to the Bahamas to get their NIL. Samson and Sanogo went down there this winter break. Oscar Tshiebwe is pulling almost 3 million in NIL money this season and he's Congolese.

International students have to jump through hoops (pun maybe intended) to take advantage. Student visas restrict the types of income you can receive from U.S. sources. You can apply for an "O" visa, which Tshiebwe has done (and possibly Sanogo as well), but that process can take some time and the applications get a ton of scrutiny from USCIS. Screwing up can cause you to forfeit your immigration status.

Good overview here. NIL considerations for international student athletes

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Student visas restrict the types of income you can receive from U.S. sources. You can apply for an "O" visa, which Tshiebwe has done (and possibly Sanogo as well), but that process can take some time and the applications get a ton of scrutiny from USCIS.

Here is more about Tshiebwe from last year.

I would assume that means Sanogo has an O visa. He was 100% in the Bahamas for NIL.

Reaction Score
Sanogo and Clingan make each other better. I am not sure Adama could run the floor like he does for an entire game. They give each other protection from foul trouble and fatigue. It is almost like a football running game. You have a bigger back pound the defense for a half and bring in the quick back when the defense is tired. Adama runs the other teams big up and down the floor... then boom when the defender is worn out you hit him with a fresh 7'2" force.

Reaction Score
It would be surprising that some NBA team is not going to take him in the first round. What is he missing? A jump shot? If Hurley wanted that he would have it for sure but if he’s 10 feet away he backs down to 2 and converts. We have 3 point scorers for jump shots and he makes those when open. The draft has players more dominant than 28 points and 13 rebounds in an NCAA tourney game?

Reaction Score
It would be surprising that some NBA team is not going to take him in the first round. What is he missing? A jump shot? If Hurley wanted that he would have it for sure but if he’s 10 feet away he backs down to 2 and converts. We have 3 point scorers for jump shots and he makes those when open. The draft has players more dominant than 28 points and 13 rebounds in an NCAA tourney game?

He might not even go in the second round, man. The 3-point shot will help with that. But he's just too small for his skillset at the next level. If he had been around in the 90s, he'd be gone with a multi-million dollar contract, but this just isn't the way the game is played in the NBA anymore.

One of the reasons I like college basketball (way) more is because there's room for unique skillsets.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Absolutely. Called it from my couch. It was the perfect move as Adama was getting a little stale and they were getting to the rim with ease. It completely changed our offense and got Hawkins going and left them unable to do anything at all on offense.

Reaction Score
Regarding Sanogo NIL money, I saw a link going around yesterday that was for apparel that supposedly goes to Sanogo, does anyone know if that is legit?

Reaction Score
Look, I’m wearing the glasses too, but Oscar T had a nice little tourney. I’ll still take where we are compared to them!
Not trying to put down Oscar because I’m a big fan, but through 2 rounds:

Sanogo: 26ppg, 10.5rpg, 1.0bpg on 72.7%
Tshiebwe: 16.5ppg, 21.5rpg, 1.0bpg, 2.5spg on 52.2%

Tshiebwe did all of his damage vs. K State. He did have the 25 rebounds against Providence, but was at 8 points on 40%. I get that he’s not a scorer, which makes his 16ppg even more impressive

In both UConn games, Hurley has given Sanogo the ball and told him to go put the other team in a body bag. He’s been the most dominant player in the country

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Their gameplan was a good one. Use our hugging of shooters and helping the roll man to get 1v1 drives into the paint. Take advantage of Sanogo's below average rim protection.

Clingan trivialized that, and the blocks/altered shots staying in court led to transition.
I couldn’t believe it when that dude thought he was going to take off from the free throw line and dunk over Clingan at like the most pivotal moment in the game

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
This is a true team. Not taking anything away from Sanogo or Hawkins they are great. AJ is just hard to miss because he is everywhere. But not sure there is anyone under appreciated more than Newton. If you look at many games when we need a basket especially in the first half and Sanogo is not available he hits big shots. The only player to ever record two triple doubles in one season and he is absorbed into the collective talent of this squad. Hurley put together a monster that hopefully continues to eat for four more games. Very impressed by how they are playing. Also love it that many media outlets are focusing on Arkansas because they beat Kansas. I hope all the experts pick Arkansas that will just help our mojo.

Reaction Score
I would assume that means Sanogo has an O visa. He was 100% in the Bahamas for NIL.

You shouldn't need the O to do offshore work, but he should have applied already to eliminate the need to do so.

Reaction Score
Not trying to put down Oscar because I’m a big fan, but through 2 rounds:

Sanogo: 26ppg, 10.5rpg, 1.0bpg on 72.7%
Tshiebwe: 16.5ppg, 21.5rpg, 1.0bpg, 2.5spg on 52.2%

Tshiebwe did all of his damage vs. K State. He did have the 25 rebounds against Providence, but was at 8 points on 40%. I get that he’s not a scorer, which makes his 16ppg even more impressive

In both UConn games, Hurley has given Sanogo the ball and told him to go put the other team in a body bag. He’s been the most dominant player in the country
Just glad we don’t have to see him.

Reaction Score
He might not even go in the second round, man. The 3-point shot will help with that. But he's just too small for his skillset at the next level. If he had been around in the 90s, he'd be gone with a multi-million dollar contract, but this just isn't the way the game is played in the NBA anymore.

I agree with you but man it's been fun to watch his improvement. That play where he pump faked at the elbow and drove for that lefty finger role? He did not have that a year ago. He's basically ambidextrous around the hoop too. Just tremendous improvement from the kid over his career.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom