Sanogo's the star, but Clingan's paint protection changed the game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sanogo's the star, but Clingan's paint protection changed the game

Reaction Score
Teams getting to the rim at will when sanogo in is a bit of a problem. I get he’s not a rim protector but it was like a layup line.
Clingan played great in the 2nd half and we extended the lead, but Sanogo checked in with 7:35 to go and St Mary's made 1 FG the rest of the game. After that rough 3 minute stretch to start the 2nd half both bigs played great defense

Reaction Score
His help defense lacks, but 1on 1 in the paint no one can back him down. That’s a valuable asset as well.
That's why he matched up so well with Mitchell Saxon. Saxon is a good player, trust me. But he doesn't shoot far away from the basket and he uses muscle and strength to make his impact and, well, he ain't moving Sanogo.

Reaction Score
I don’t really know if Adama has a serious decision. He should go pro, wherever. His outside game will develop better at the next level than it will here.
Sanogo's decision is "Will I make more money overseas/g league or NIL at UConn and does Hurley want me back or did he promise Clingan 25-30 min and wants to keep our current offensive philosophy"

Reaction Score
very much so. Sanogo keeps UConn in the game in the first half. Clingan turns the tide and the Sanogo comes back in to deliver the kill.
This has been the Hurley formula lately. When the opponent gets used to Sanogo, put in Clingan. A little later put Adama back in and finish them. They are just too much to handle. I can’t see not playing both at once here and there just to confuse everyone.

Reaction Score
Teams getting to the rim at will when sanogo in is a bit of a problem. I get he’s not a rim protector but it was like a layup line.
It’s a conundrum. We can’t ride Adama and trade layups, but you need Adama’s O presence. DC is a game changer that just takes teams out of their game.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
Adama Sanogo has been the best player in the tournament. 28 and 13. Followed by 24 and 8.

Just two dominating performances.

This team just needs a few players to step up in a few key spots — like Jordan hitting those second half threes — and this team can beat anyone in the field.

We have that player that is the difference maker in every game.
Look, I’m wearing the glasses too, but Oscar T had a nice little tourney. I’ll still take where we are compared to them!

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
It’s a conundrum. We can’t ride Adama and trade layups, but you need Adama’s O presence. DC is a game changer that just takes teams out of their game.
Agreed but you can’t just play Clingan 3/4 minutes in the first half when we’re struggling at defending the rim.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
The killer run didn't happen until we started getting stops, and man did we string together some stops in the middle of the second half as soon as Clingan came on. Kid's got unreal defensive awareness.

Let's go win 4 more.
Couldn't agree more. DC is a game changer.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
Sanogo's decision is "Will I make more money overseas/g league or NIL at UConn and does Hurley want me back or did he promise Clingan 25-30 min and wants to keep our current offensive philosophy"
I thought Sanogo wasn't eligible for direct NIL contracts. Only indirect $.

Reaction Score
Play our best players. Positions don't matter this time of year. Clingan makes the other team miss, a lot. Sanogo has been automatic in the paint and expanded his offense to the 3 and now off the drive... Clingan can step outside on offense and let Sanogo work. It's not that difficult.

Reaction Score
Agreed but you can’t just play Clingan 3/4 minutes in the first half when we’re struggling at defending the rim.
I think Danny uses DC in the first half to give Adama a rest, and saves him up to use in the middle minutes of the second to wear down teams that are wearing out. It’s smart, but it kind of deleverages our efficiency. We are keeping teams in the game the first half with loose interior D.

Reaction Score
As a foreign player here on a student visa he is not allowed to participate in NIL. Geno explained it very well in yesterday’s post game press conference. It’s a government thing, not an NCAA prohibition.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom