Sanogo wants more PT | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Sanogo wants more PT

Reaction Score
I know exactly what it means.

Well then you're just wrong. Bad coaching decisions and inability to take ownership leads to losing buy-in. We're a long way off from that but he better be taking some steps privately to right the ship.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Well then you're just wrong. Bad coaching decisions and inability to take ownership leads to losing buy-in. We're a long way off from that but he better be taking some steps privately to right the ship.

If you are a very tall kid with the initials DC you just saw a coach say that all a team needs to do to eliminate you from the game is go small. We won’t betray our beloved man defense and go zone for a few minutes to thwart that strategy. It’s a problem. If we don’t have a one in four out zone in our defensive arsenal that’s inexcusable.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The first thing that pops into your mind after one game with a questionable personnel choice is he might lose the team. Maybe after 4 or 5 games. Remember. there will always be only 5 guys on the court at a time. If he sends in Sanogo and benches Polley, and if they still lose, he looks bad if hindsight shows we maybe wouid’ve been better off with a shooter

A total overreaction. Give the guy some credit. He’s missing one of the hardest players in college ball to defend and they could be 3-0. Sanogo should be quiet in public.

Reaction Score
The problem is Hurley too rigidly sticks to his script.

Obviously the script for this year is to play Sanogo for stretches at a time, let him learn playing behind Whaley and Carlton, and then be ready to dominate next year when those guys are gone.

The end of game script is to win with ballhandling, athleticism, quickness, and flexibility on D. That's not a bad idea in general, but it clearly wasn't working today.

Reaction Score
Not speculating. Just stating that when your best player is saying he feels he should be on the floor, that is not a good sign. Who wants to play 10 minutes a game when you are the only unstoppable player on the court?
We only have 3 “guards” (with no JB only Cole, Gaffney, and maybe Adams), so at least 2 bigs need to play. Martin and Polley and Whalley having to guard the 3pt line against guards won’t work. Try a different defense if you have to.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
If we play zone for 5 mins at the under 16 we win. Polley doesn’t have the foot speed to guard anyone on the court

Reaction Score
Gotta keep Sanogo happy and on the team. That kind of physical specimen doesn’t come to UCONN that often and he’s only getting better. I’m looking to the next 3 years.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
WRONG. Sanogo is not a moron. He sees that Hurley has a huge bias towards guards, and will play backup guards over good big men. Why would any forward play for a coach that does that?
If the coach isn't learning from this, you're probably right, but give this teachable moment a chance.

To me, too many conclusions are being drawn here on too small a sample. You'll get your chance to be right if you turn out to be.

It was a bad game for Hurley, and I was excited by Sanogo's confidence.

Season 3, game 9, in a rebuild.

Reaction Score
I've got 2 complaints. Keep in mind we were up by 14 in the first half and hitting on all cylinders, rather than rotating a player in, Hurley basically makes a mass substitution and kills the momentum and they start back. Why would a coach completely bust a lineup that was working? Second half Adama is kicking St John's butts offensively AND defensively, and I said in the chat that the only person that could shut him down was Hurley. The next dead ball I said "expect Hurley to take him out", he's playing too well. On cue he took him out and a couple of guys said it was reasonable because Sanogo looked gassed. I hate the move. Some posters have had complaints because he doesn't kill the other team's momentum with time outs, but in his defense, he really knows how to kill our momentum. It was clear that Polley wasn't shooting daggers, playing D, or rebounding, but he stays with it. Anderson is laughing because he knows his team had no answer for Sanogo. A expect him to privately give a shout out to Danny.

Reaction Score
I've got 2 complaints. Keep in mind we were up by 14 in the first half and hitting on all cylinders, rather than rotating a player in, Hurley basically makes a mass substitution and kills the momentum and they start back. Why would a coach completely bust a lineup that was working? Second half Adama is kicking St John's butts offensively AND defensively, and I said in the chat that the only person that could shut him down was Hurley. The next dead ball I said "expect Hurley to take him out", he's playing too well. On cue he took him out and a couple of guys said it was reasonable because Sanogo looked gassed. I hate the move. Some posters have had complaints because he doesn't kill the other team's momentum with time outs, but in his defense, he really knows how to kill our momentum. It was clear that Polley wasn't shooting daggers, playing D, or rebounding, but he stays with it. Anderson is laughing because he knows his team had no answer for Sanogo. A expect him to privately give a shout out to Danny.
The wholesale momentum killing substitutions have been a problem since he's been here as has taking out the hot hand. He's great running the program and building us back up and he seems to be improving at running stuff during games but he still leaves us scratching our heads with this stuff.

Reaction Score
Hurley has always favored upperclassmen and guards.
This is not Wagner or URI and the caliber of guys he is bringing in are much better.
You can let seniority dictate who plays. Also playing 3 guards when the only really good guard you have is out indefinitely is begging for games like today to happen.

The better the talent DH bring in the more he has to adjust his thinking and not be stubborn.

Reaction Score
The wholesale momentum killing substitutions have been a problem since he's been here as has taking out the hot hand. He's great running the program and building us back up and he seems to be improving at running stuff during games but he still leaves us scratching our heads with this stuff.
I wish a guy like Moore or Kimani would step up and say something. There’s no way they haven’t noticed this either, right? It kills us every single game. And he always does it! If every UConn fan can see it, how does a guy making $3million a year not see it?

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score

This is just a weak look from a guy with so much intensity. I'd expect a comment like this from the previous regime, but sad to see if coming from the current staff. They need to reevaluate how they prepare their game scripts and focus being the team that dictates the game, especially when you have an unstoppable force like Sanogo was today. The fact he couldn't figure out how to exploit St. Johns small ball with Sanogo playing out of his mind inside is a little scary and eyeopening. Instead he let us our poor perimeter defenders get exploited by St Johns.

If Adama played maybe we could have mixed in a 3-1-1 match up zone to slow the drives and keep our bigs out of foul trouble?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If the coach isn't learning from this, you're probably right, but give this teachable moment a chance.

To me, too many conclusions are being drawn here on too small a sample. You'll get your chance to be right if you turn out to be.

It was a bad game for Hurley, and I was excited by Sanogo's confidence.

Season 3, game 9, in a rebuild.

My chance to be right when I identified Hurley's over-reliance on small lineups after the Hartford game and got a multi day banning. Now I am just pointing out the obvious.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If Adama played maybe we could have mixed in a 3-1-1 match up zone to slow the drives and keep our bigs out of foul trouble?

5 out is actually a terrible offense for shooting 3's, and any coach that is not a moron can defend the perimeter against a 5 out easily with a 3-2 or 3-1-1 matchup zone.

Edit: I would stretch a basic 2-3 though if I was the coach. defenders could easily close out to the corners, and the top of the zone could cover the 3 other shooters easily since it is hard to properly space with a 5 out.

Honestly, I would be ripscalito if I was Hurley and another coach humiliated me like that. Anderson laughed in Hurley's face by going 5 guards, and honestly, it was disrespectful. Unfortunately, Hurley was not capable of doing anything about it.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Yeah, bottom line is you can’t have one coaching philosophy. You need to coach to the talent you have. We said it earlier with some of how he used Bouk. We are unbelievably lucky to have Hurley leading our program but his biggest weakness is his lack of experience at this level riding the most talented players on the floor... although he seemed to figure it out quickly with Bouk

Reaction Score
Hurley has always favored upperclassmen and guards.
This is not Wagner or URI and the caliber of guys he is bringing in are much better.
You can let seniority dictate who plays. Also playing 3 guards when the only really good guard you have is out indefinitely is begging for games like today to happen.

The better the talent DH bring in the more he has to adjust his thinking and not be stubborn.
I think this is about right. He plays who he's most comfortable with, based on his experience having generally under-talented teams.

That's seniors, and that's guards. And that usually is what gets it done at the mid-major level. Hell, usually guard play is what gets it done at the high-major level too when you have the personnel.

But he needs to be able to adjust.

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
Honestly, I would be ripscalito if I was Hurley and another coach humiliated me like that. Anderson laughed in Hurley's face by going 5 guards, and honestly, it was disrespectful. Unfortunately, Hurley was not capable of doing anything about it.

Yesterday Hurley wore a shirt with the famous Tyson quote "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face." Today Mike Anderson punched Danny in the face and he didn't swing back.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
5 out is actually a terrible offense for shooting 3's, and any coach that is not a moron can defend the perimeter against a 5 out easily with a 3-2 or 3-1-1 matchup zone.

Edit: I would stretch a basic 2-3 though if I was the coach. defenders could easily close out to the corners, and the top of the zone could cover the 3 other shooters easily since it is hard to properly space with a 5 out.

I just watched some of the Xavier St Johns game and every time Xavier went zone St Johns struggled. And guess what Xavier won that game. If some knows Coach Hurley personally on here please plead with him to try zone and pound it inside to our bigs next time we play those clowns.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I just watched some of the Xavier St Johns game and every time Xavier went zone St Johns struggled. And guess what Xavier won that game. If some knows Coach Hurley personally on here please plead with him to try zone and pound it inside to our bigs next time we play those clowns.
I read that Hurley didn't want to go zone because SJU was hitting 3s . I also think he hates doing it kinda of like Calhoun. But he's going to have to try to be adaptable to the situation more for us to survive until Bouk returns.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The problem is Hurley too rigidly sticks to his script.

Obviously the script for this year is to play Sanogo for stretches at a time, let him learn playing behind Whaley and Carlton, and then be ready to dominate next year when those guys are gone.

The end of game script is to win with ballhandling, athleticism, quickness, and flexibility on D. That's not a bad idea in general, but it clearly wasn't working today.

And the sad part, or the part leading to hope, is he obviously game plans well. Very rare for UConn to go in to the first TV timeout without a lead or at least functioning as a team. Gone are the days of getting down 13-2 because the players weren't prepped.

Hurley is still average at best and definitely outside the top tier of in-game coaches. He just seems to be off by 2-3 possessions when momentum is changing and hasn't shown the midas touch of knowing which substitution needs to be made to continue positive momentum for UConn or to break up momentum for the opponent.

Reaction Score
This needs to be nipped in the bud before it becomes an issue. Not a great look that we just had a big guy transfer out because of lack of playing time, now another one is complaining about the same thing. I keep saying that its a good thing we don’t play again until Saturday. The entire team and staff needs the break mentally for than anything at this point
They just had a week off, lol.

Reaction Score
I have no insight into Sanogo's mind. Maybe he is considering a transfer due to limited pt. Probably not, but who knows.

From a broadcasting/entertainment standpoint, I like his honesty. Sports interviews are always filled with cliche nonsense. It's nice to hear legit comments.

So good fo Sanogo. Poke the bear. Shake things up a bit.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
My chance to be right when I identified Hurley's over-reliance on small lineups after the Hartford game and got a multi day banning. Now I am just pointing out the obvious.
I suppose it's better that you pat yourself on the back for being so right, rather than whining that others don't recognize or acknowledge how right you are...but not by much.

Reaction Score
While AS was 6 for 11 (54.5%), the rest of the entire team was 18 for 49 (36.7%).

In addition, he scored at more than twice the rate of the rest of the team:

12 points in 8.5% of the minutes equals 0.71 points per minute played for AS while 58 points in 91.5% of the minutes equals 0.32 points per minute played by the rest of the entire team.

Comparison of all the big men plus Adams (for no particular reason):
Sanogo
: 6 for 11 for 12 points in 17 minutes. Plus 4 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 block, 1 steal, 1 turnover and 1 foul;
Whaley: 4 for 8 (1 for 2 FT) for 9 points in 36 minutes. Plus 8 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 blocks, 1 steal, 3 TO's and 3 fouls.
Carlton: 0 for 1 (0 for 2 FT) for 0 points in 3 minutes. Plus 0 rebounds, 0 assists, 0 blocks, 1 foul and 1 TO.
Polley: 2 for 9 (1 for 6 on 3's, 2 for 2 FT's) for 7 points in 26 minutes. Plus 1 rebound, 0 assists, 0 blocks, 1 steal, 2 fouls and 0 TO's.
Adams: 1 for 3 (1 for 2 on 3's, 4 for 4 FT's) for 7 points in 30 minutes. Plus 3 rebounds, 3 assists, 0 blocks, 1 steal, 4 foulss and 2 TO's.
Akok: 0 for 1 for 0 points in 2 minutes. Plus 2 rebounds, but nothing else.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom