Sanogo wants more PT | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Sanogo wants more PT

Reaction Score
Ohhhhh got it. So when we let teams dictate with Bigs which leaves us having to play two of Whaley/Sanogo/Carlton that’s OK, but when teams dictate guards, that’s not OK. Makes sense now.
Bigs are the strength of this team, do you really not see that? Sanogo and Carlton combined are getting the same amount of minutes as Brendan Adams.

Reaction Score
That's called a coach who recognized his strength is with his bigs when Bouk is out. Something he should have remembered today
Oh you mean the bigs that scored 23 points that game compared to 21 points today? HUGE difference. Gotta admit the bigs really controlled that Marquette game offensively.

Reaction Score
Ohhhhh got it. So when we let teams dictate with Bigs which leaves us having to play two of Whaley/Sanogo/Carlton that’s OK, but when teams dictate guards, that’s not OK. Makes sense now.
If your guards are playing like like trash and continuing to blow leads, no that is not okay to put the hot hand on the bench. You are comparing two games together that have nothing to do with each other. Just because one strategy works in one game doesn’t mean it’s working for another.

Reaction Score
Bigs are the strength of this team, do you really not see that? Sanogo and Carlton combined are getting the same amount of minutes as Brendan Adams.
Got it, is that why Sanogo and Carlton have the lowest offensive ratings on the team and Whaley is third?

Reaction Score
Oh you mean the bigs that scored 23 points that game compared to 21 points today? HUGE difference. Gotta admit the bigs really controlled that Marquette game offensively.
Good thing you aren't the coach or else we might never win a game. Good luck having BADams play 38 minutes a game and letting Sanogo rot on the bench

Reaction Score
If your guards are playing like like trash and continuing to blow leads, no that is not okay to put the hot hand on the bench. You are comparing two games together that have nothing to do with each other. Just because one strategy works in one game doesn’t mean it’s working for another.
But I thought the issue here was Hurley letting the other team dictate the game, which apparently you should never do, and which he also did vs Marquette and we won so that wasn’t a problem. But today we lost, so now it is.

Reaction Score
The team played its best when Sanogo was on the floor today so the coaches needed to figure out how to keep him out there. It wasn't like Hurley even tried it the last 10 mins and failed when SJ was passing us by.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
But I thought the issue here was Hurley letting the other team dictate the game, which apparently you should never do, and which he also did vs Marquette and we won so that wasn’t a problem. But today we lost, so now it is.
Do we need to spell it out for you? Marquette WAS dictating the game by playing big. Hurley reacted by playing our bigs which is our STRENGTH. You don't react to a team by playing your weakness. Holy crap

Reaction Score
The issue is Hurley took out the best player in the game and the hot hand in Sanogo. End of story. Not sure what you’re not understanding here.

Reaction Score
Do we need to spell it out for you? Marquette WAS dictating the game by playing big. Hurley reacted by playing our bigs which is our STRENGTH. You don't react to a team by playing your weakness. Holy crap
You mean the strength that scored two more points and played a total of 7 more minutes in that game than they did today? HUGE difference

Reaction Score
Got it, is that why Sanogo and Carlton have the lowest offensive ratings on the team and Whaley is third?
I'd rather all 3 play 30 minutes over BAdams. Nonsense ratings system if Adams has higher offensive rating than any of those guys.

We should have played big with Carlton and Sanogo down the stretch. That would have freed up Polley on the perimeter to splash some threes. It also would have limited Posh driving to the basket.

You need to adjust to play to the best guys that give you a chance to win.

Our big guys are the strength of this team as of now. That is crystal clear.

PS: You don't try to play another team's style to beat them if it is not naturally your own style as well. Identity wins not copycats.

Reaction Score
You mean the strength that scored two more points and played a total of 7 more minutes in that game than they did today? HUGE difference
Dude, our offense goes through our big guys. I'm not sure what you have missed the past 3 years from watching Hurley's offensive scheme. The big guys touch the ball on every single possession. When your best big in the game is on the bench, you will lose. It's not rocket science. A middle school coach could tell you this

Gutter King

Let me drop a deduce on ya
Reaction Score
Dude, our offense goes through our big guys. I'm not sure what you have missed the past 3 years from watching Hurley's offensive scheme. The big guys touch the ball on every single possession. When your best big in the game is on the bench, you will lose. It's not rocket science. A middle school coach could tell you this
I'd argue they don't touch it deep enough. They do run it through the bigs, but is it really in a position they can do something with success? We need to feed these guys down low with intent to fully exploit the advantage.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
He should feel that way today. And maybe 1 or 2 other games. But today was egregious.

We don't speculate about transfers here. Jusr say I'd understand if he did but hope he sticks around.

Hurley needs to shape up or lose his team.
Overreact much? Lose the team? The leagues high scorer unavailable. Their 2nd loss. Both losses are wins with made foul shots. He definitely misused Sanogo, but saying he’ll lose the team? I suppose that if he’d sat Polley - he should have - and they still lose with Sanogo, then some would say sitting Polley would cause him to lose the team. It looked like a bad coaching move today. It’s one game. I’m glad the kid thought he should have played at the end. But he probably should keep that between himself and the coach.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
What I hear: "Competitive kid wants more playing time and wants to be in the game at go-time."
What others hear: "Kid wants to transfer."

You could be right, and hope you are, but we live in a "me, me, me, now, now, now" society. I think a lot of us our conditioned at this point to assume that if someone publicly airs their frustrations with their playing time / team situation it's not a good sign. Both at the college and professional levels, across all sports.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I think Hurley was too focused on having guards on floor to defend on the perimeter that's why Adama was not put into the game . He talked about that in pregame video yesterday. Yes its disappointing that Adama was not in there after the 12 min mark.

Reaction Score
Overreact much? Lose the team? The leagues high scorer unavailable. Their 2nd loss. Both losses are wins with made foul shots. He definitely misused Sanogo, but saying he’ll lose the team? I suppose that if he’d sat Polley - he should have - and they still lose with Sanogo, then some would say sitting Polley would cause him to lose the team. It looked like a bad coaching move today. It’s one game. I’m glad the kid thought he should have played at the end. But he probably should keep that between himself and the coach.

I'm not sure you understand what "losing your team" means

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Of course not. The strength of this team is bigs especially now with Bouknight out. He isn't going big and he's now pissed off the most talented offensive big we've had in probably a decade all while trying to recruit one of the best bigs the state has probably ever produced.

It amazes me that people don’t see this. With no Bouk we have below average guards and wings, but way above average centers and forwards. Guys who are a matchup nightmare for most other teams. When we go small, we sit some of our best players and play our weaker players. When we go big other teams are forced to play their weaker players.

Hurley has got to stop acting like he’s at URI where all his best guys are guards. If Hurley had the 2005-06 UConn Roster Boone would never play and Rob Garrison would get 25 minutes a game.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
So when Hurley countered Marquette’s BIG lineup in the second half with two bigs of his own when they were down 18, letting Marquette dictate the game, leading to a massive comeback, was that coaching malpractice?

Or was that acceptable Because we won? I’m guessing the latter and you’re being extremely results oriented and in turn, a walking contradiction.

You think smaller is better in basketball. Got it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom