Saniya off to a good start overseas | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Saniya off to a good start overseas

Reaction Score
Saniya's team is now again tied for first place. She had some great numbers in the last two games.

From the Dallas Wings Website:

Overseas Player of the Week, Jan 3-9; Saniya Chong

January 11, 2018

Saniya Chong has been named Dallas Wings Overseas Player of the Week for the week of January 3-9. This is the third time she has been given the award this overseas season.

Chong had two outstanding performances this past week, scoring 26 points in back-to-back games. On January 4, she went 10-for-15 from the field with seven total rebounds and five assists. In her second game played, Chong was stellar from the free throw line going 10-for-12. She also went 8-for-13 from the field with a total of six rebounds and seven assists.

Currently, Chong ranks third in scoring in the Israeli D1 league and fourth in assists. She is averaging 20.1 points and 5.5 assists per game, as her and team Elitzur Holon are in first place with a 12-4 record. Up next for Chong and team Elitzur Holon, is a match-up against team Hap. Peta Tikva on January 15. It is one of two games that remain in the round of 18 games.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Saniya's team is now again tied for first place. She had some great numbers in the last two games.

From the Dallas Wings Website:

Overseas Player of the Week, Jan 3-9; Saniya Chong

January 11, 2018

Saniya Chong has been named Dallas Wings Overseas Player of the Week for the week of January 3-9. This is the third time she has been given the award this overseas season.

Chong had two outstanding performances this past week, scoring 26 points in back-to-back games. On January 4, she went 10-for-15 from the field with seven total rebounds and five assists. In her second game played, Chong was stellar from the free throw line going 10-for-12. She also went 8-for-13 from the field with a total of six rebounds and seven assists.

Currently, Chong ranks third in scoring in the Israeli D1 league and fourth in assists. She is averaging 20.1 points and 5.5 assists per game, as her and team Elitzur Holon are in first place with a 12-4 record. Up next for Chong and team Elitzur Holon, is a match-up against team Hap. Peta Tikva on January 15. It is one of two games that remain in the round of 18 games.

Without knowing the specifics about her recent success overseas, I'd bet a can of diet Mountain Dew (Skip Bayless), that the harness that Chong wore here in college and the W., has been removed by her coach(s) there. She is able to play without restriction, and has no doubt become comfortable in her new surroundings, with her new teammates.

The "awe" factor that many rookies come in with has evaporated forever for Cong. She no longer thinks, but now knows (as do her teammates) she can play at this level. Now she can just concentrate on improving her game. As time goes on, the size of the basket will grow in circumference, and more of her shots will go in.

There is no way she can return to the states without bringing that newly found confidence with her. Saniya has not enjoyed this much notoriety and success since she left Ossining. I'm very happy for Saniya. This is good news. I could use some good news right now. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I wish there were videos of some of these games to see if (i) the defensive tenacity that she showed during her senior year at UConn is still being displayed and (ii) if the passing and ball sharing by the team from Holon is modeled at all like the Huskies. I have no idea what the style of those games is like, but it does look like they get a fair number of assists.

Reaction Score
Just out of curiosity how many UConn players like Saniya who hardly play and ended up starting there senior year? I get the impression she is a rarity and if you’re not starting by your 3rd year at least it’s not happening . Any other examples in past few years like Saniya? Z not included .

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I wish there were videos of some of these games to see if (i) the defensive tenacity that she showed during her senior year at UConn is still being displayed and (ii) if the passing and ball sharing by the team from Holon is modeled at all like the Huskies. I have no idea what the style of those games is like, but it does look like they get a fair number of assists.

I've been wishing for video, too. Crystal Bradford, who was a biggish, physical guard, had been in the post most of the season, so they did have a very good-passing former-guard post player like Gabby. Danielle Adams is in the post now, and is also a good passer.

From my perusal of the league box scores and stats, it doesn't look like there's a real premium put on defense. If anyone is familiar with the league, I'd be really interested in hearing what it's really like.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom