Saniya off to a good start overseas | The Boneyard

Saniya off to a good start overseas

Reaction Score
WNBA Retweeted
Dallas Wings‏Verified account @DallasWings 54m54 minutes ago
Overseas Player of the wk for Oct.10-16 is Saniya Chong. She scored 39 points in 39 min. w/5 assists and 1 stop Tyler Phommachanh://wings.wnba.com

DMcoUXlU8AE3ud1.jpg

Reaction Score
October 18, 2017

Saniya Chong has been named Dallas Wings Overseas Player of the Week for the week of October 10-16, after an outstanding performance with Elitzur Maclaren Holon this past week. The 5-8 guard made her grand debut overseas recording a historical game of 39 points in 39 minutes, along with five assists and one blocked shot.

Chong is one of three rookies from the Dallas Wings playing overseas this year. Her next game with team Elitzur Maclaren Holon will take place on October 23.

Overseas Player of the Week, Oct. 10-16: Saniya Chong - Dallas Wings

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
So, anyone want to speculate as to the origin of this scoring outburst?

Based on the Israeli league stats from last year, it doesn't look like Americans just come in and dominate. The leading scorers last year were Israelis averaging around 20 ppg. Does anyone know how well it's respected in the Euroleague family?

Saniya took 23 shots. Could it be that the coach is just SO encouraging of her offense? I find this one hard to believe since Geno was often critical of her passing up open looks. It could also be that the team just doesn't have any other viable offensive options.

I'd welcome any other theories. In any case, she's my favorite Husky and it's good to see her thriving. As someone else said, it certainly bodes well for next year in the W.

Reaction Score

Based on the Israeli league stats from last year, it doesn't look like Americans just come in and dominate. The leading scorers last year were Israelis averaging around 20 ppg. Does anyone know how well it's respected in the Euroleague family?

Saniya took 23 shots. Could it be that the coach is just SO encouraging of her offense? I find this one hard to believe since Geno was often critical of her passing up open looks. It could also be that the team just doesn't have any other viable offensive options.

I'd welcome any other theories. In any case, she's my favorite Husky and it's good to see her thriving. As someone else said, it certainly bodes well for next year in the W.

Maybe it's just as simple as gaining confidence. She's always had skills. She came in as the only freshman if I recall; had to have been a tough transition from high school. I believe she struggled a bit with her studies. Had some injury issues. Anyway, long-winded way to say that all these kids come from different places and move at different speeds, have different challenges. I know that the Saniya I saw play last year wasn't the same "deer in the headlights" kid I saw early on. She's one of my favorites too.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Well.......it certainly appears that Saniya has blossomed. A late bloomer to be sure. I can't tell you how happy I am for Saniya. Lord knows she paid her dues, and endured all the challenges that life at UConn threw at her.

Who saw Saniya making a WNBA roster at anytime during her first three years at UConn? It's nice to see her have the success she's having at the next level.

Thirty nine points is nothing to scoff at. I'm very pleased to hear of her success in her foray overseas. I hope to hear more reports like in the weeks and months to come. Please keep these reports coming.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

Maybe it's just as simple as gaining confidence. She's always had skills. She came in as the only freshman if I recall; had to have been a tough transition from high school. I believe she struggled a bit with her studies. Had some injury issues. Anyway, long-winded way to say that all these kids come from different places and move at different speeds, have different challenges. I know that the Saniya I saw play last year wasn't the same "deer in the headlights" kid I saw early on. She's one of my favorites too.

Saniya had 3rd 4th and 5th scoring options ahead of her... she had to wait til her senior year for us to get a glimpse of what she could do. and of course she was scared to make a mistake cause Geno could yank her and easily replace her

HGN

Reaction Score
Saniya had 3rd 4th and 5th scoring options ahead of her... she had to wait til her senior year for us to get a glimpse of what she could do. and of course she was scared to make a mistake cause Geno could yank her and easily replace her
All true.............

Reaction Score

I vaguely remember that very early on Saniya was put in a game from the bench and promptly turned the ball over. Out she came. I imagine it's hard enough to get "tough love" from Geno during practice, but in front of a large audience, including TV, I can only imagine.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the update. I love the fact that the BY follows the Alumni as you fall in love with all these players and the love continues after they leave. I'm happy Saniya has hit her stride and I hope she continues to gain confidence and play well.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I vaguely remember that very early on Saniya was put in a game from the bench and promptly turned the ball over. Out she came. I imagine it's hard enough to get "tough love" from Geno during practice, but in front of a large audience, including TV, I can only imagine.
Name the player who has graduated from UCONN WBB and not received "tough love" from Geno.
Very happy that Saniya is doing well in this league, very sad when I hear that Geno was the one holding her back at UCONN, because I don't believe that for a second.

This is in line with her high school stats.

Q: Who is the only person who can keep Saniya Chong under 30 points?

A: Geno Auriemma
So is this league in line with her HS competition/league? If so isn't that like saying Saniya hasn't gotten better since HS?
Q:Who is the only person who can keep Saniya Chong under 30 points?
A: Saniya

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Based on the Israeli league stats from last year, it doesn't look like Americans just come in and dominate.

Where did you find last year's Israeli league stats? The stats I can find on eurobasket (LINK) list these as last year's leading scorers.

Shae Kelley - 20.8
Tayler Hill - 20.8
Keisha Hampton - 19.8
Danielle Adams - 19.3
Tiffany Hayes - 18.9
Atonye Nyingifa - 18.4
Alexis Hornbuckle - 18.4
Alex Harden - 17.2
Markel Walker - 16.6
Jada Payne - 16.3

The leading rebounder was Cierra Burdick. The assist leader was Chelsea Hopkins.

It does seem to be a league totally dominated by Americans. And, to be frank, those 10 listed above (with apologies to Tiff Hayes) are hardly a WNBA all-star team.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Name the player who has graduated from UCONN WBB and not received "tough love" from Geno.
Very happy that Saniya is doing well in this league, very sad when I hear that Geno was the one holding her back at UCONN, because I don't believe that for a second.

So is this league in line with her HS competition/league? If so isn't that like saying Saniya hasn't gotten better since HS?
If you look at the list of players, the pro league is far superior to ANY high school competition. Players include Brittney Sykes, Tiffany Hayes, Nia Coffey, Syd Colson, Bashaara Graves, and Alexis Peterson. Obviously, it's not the best pro league outside the U.S., but it provides decent competition, especially as a sort of developmental league.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Where did you find last year's Israeli league stats? The stats I can find on eurobasket (LINK) list these as last year's leading scorers.

Shae Kelley - 20.8
Tayler Hill - 20.8
Keisha Hampton - 19.8
Danielle Adams - 19.3
Tiffany Hayes - 18.9
Atonye Nyingifa - 18.4
Alexis Hornbuckle - 18.4
Alex Harden - 17.2
Markel Walker - 16.6
Jada Payne - 16.3

The leading rebounder was Cierra Burdick. The assist leader was Chelsea Hopkins.

It does seem to be a league totally dominated by Americans. And, to be frank, those 10 listed above (with apologies to Tiff Hayes) are hardly a WNBA all-star team.

It was this page: Israeli Basketball, News, Teams, Scores, Stats, Standings, Awards - eurobasket , but last week. I could be mis-remembering, may have seen two Israeli names and remembered eight. The numbers are similar but not identical to what I remember. I'm a quant, so numbers make a bigger impression on me than names.

Reaction Score

Other than early in her UConn career (as with most young Huskies), not sure Geno held her back as much as injuries.

Reaction Score

And by senior year, I recall a comment from Geno to the effect that he couldn't take Saniya out of the game or everything would go to hell.

Reaction Score
That is so phenomenal for Saniya. I like her so much. I remember Holly Rowe saying to her during a short interview, "I know you thought of transferring early on in your UConn career." Saniya replied with an emphatic no. She had her struggles but just kept on going. So happy for her.

Reaction Score
That is so phenomenal for Saniya. I like her so much. I remember Holly Rowe saying to her during a short interview, "I know you thought of transferring early on in your UConn career." Saniya replied with an emphatic no. She had her struggles but just kept on going. So happy for her.
No that was Justine who said that during a post-game interview on Senior Day.

Reaction Score
So happy for Saniya and happy that she is a husky alum so we can keep rooting for her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom