S.C. Gamecocks 2023 off season | Page 4 | The Boneyard

S.C. Gamecocks 2023 off season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Morrow is a Pili type player, strong and quick in the post. Her footwork gets her better position than defenders which means she gets to the FT line a lot. Also, like Pili, she’s only 6’1”. She has a decent midrange shot. Not an effective 3 pt shooter. She took a few this season but I imagine it was only because that’s DePaul’s identity.

I don’t see her adding much to SC, or UConn for that matter. But she could fill in at the 4 and probably be as good as Saxton was with a lot more offensive production. A short 4 could benefit from playing next to Kamila. But SC really has that position covered.

Morrow’s best role seems to be in the low post where she can turn and shoot really quickly. She is also really active on the boards and difficult to box out.

Reaction Score
If Cardoso turns out to be foul prone we'll have a real problem matching up size to size with bigger teams.
I’m not sure I agree about the need for size. We just saw the NC go to a team with only so-so size in the post — 6’4” and 6’3” — but really active post players. The runner up team was the same. Dawn has plenty of size, if they’re active players, and they sure look that way to me.

UConn had an active 6’5” and 6’3”, with a slow 6’6” who rode the bench. If we had just one more active post, even if she wasn’t 6’3”, we’d have had a chance at a better result.

Reaction Score
Morrow is a Pili type player, strong and quick in the post. Her footwork gets her better position than defenders which means she gets to the FT line a lot. Also, like Pili, she’s only 6’1”. She has a decent midrange shot. Not an effective 3 pt shooter. She took a few this season but I imagine it was only because that’s DePaul’s identity.

I don’t see her adding much to SC, or UConn for that matter. But she could fill in at the 4 and probably be as good as Saxton was with a lot more offensive production. A short 4 could benefit from playing next to Kamila. But SC really has that position covered.

Morrow’s best role seems to be in the low post where she can turn and shoot really quickly. She is also really active on the boards and difficult to box out.
She needed a lot of shots to put up numbers against good competition. She's probably do better next to Cardoso.

I just don't think it's a need.

I'd really just like to get a three level guard that can defend a little. That seems like the obvious need to me.

I'm not big on it needing to be a player that shoots 45% on threes and does nothing else, but hey sure that too would be fine.

Just want someone who take and make a reasonable percentage of open shots without hesitation.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure I agree about the need for size. We just saw the NC go to a team with only so-so size in the post — 6’4” and 6’3” — but really active post players. The runner up team was the same. Dawn has plenty of size, if they’re active players, and they sure look that way to me.

UConn had an active 6’5” and 6’3”, with a slow 6’6” who rode the bench. If we had just one more active post, even if she wasn’t 6’3”, we’d have had a chance at a better result.

Watkins is maybe 6'2 and is the best center candidate. Kitts and Feagin are 6'4 ish perhaps but not really known for defense at this point.

I'd like a strong defense and rebounding player that can legitimately guard 6'6 and potentially Reese and Barker. That's a lot to ask but it is what we've had.

I think what we had was the best thing you can have if you can't have the all levels unguardable scorer.

Reaction Score
I don't think adding an undersized four that takes a bunch of shots in the paint and doesn't stretch the floor is better than having two posts that can't really be defended one on one.
Which is why you take the next best thing… what big is in the portal or will be in the portal that you think SC should target? I mean Gakdeng got snatched up by UNC very quickly and Morrow won’t be in the portal long! Dawn isn’t going to hesitate and wait if a talent like Morrow is interested. It seems you’re looking for something that will likely never be there. Morrow is there now and would definitely help the team in some sort of way despite your negative thoughts. Dawn is a HOF coach I trust she could turn a 26 ppg & 12 rpg player into something positive for the team next year.

Reaction Score
Which is why you take the next best thing… what big is in the portal or will be in the portal that you think SC should target? I mean Gakdeng got snatched up by UNC very quickly and Morrow won’t be in the portal long! Dawn isn’t going to hesitate and wait if a talent like Morrow is interested. It seems you’re looking for something that will likely never be there. Morrow is there now and would definitely help the team in some sort of way despite your negative thoughts. Dawn is a HOF coach I trust she could turn a 26 ppg & 12 rpg player into something positive for the team next year.

As of yet I've not seen an indication that Dawn wants to ?

Reaction Score
Morrow could be a Godsend, or a curse depending on her willingness to share the ball and stay within 12 ft of the basket on offense........when UConn played Depaul nothing made me happier than when she would freelance at the three-point line and launch shots.........

Reaction Score

She took “a few”? Try over 200 three point attempts and she hit 25%.

Reaction Score
Transfers In the SEC I think the staff would show interest :
I know Coach Staley liked Erynn Barnum at Arkansas. I know she has a Covid year. she is an offensive upgrade to Saxton. Their best rebounder at Ark.
Not quite. That would be Poffenbarger. I love Erynn's game. She had some great offensive performances, and she would thrive in a system where she didn't have to essentially play the 5, but she is not a great rebounder.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Morrow could be a Godsend, or a curse depending on her willingness to share the ball and stay within 12 ft of the basket on offense........when UConn played Depaul nothing made me happier than when she would freelance at the three-point line and launch shots.........

Despite her terrible shooting percentage, on the right team she could be one that force’s defenses to play her honest. She’s already super tough down low despite being undersized so if she can add a consistent 3 point shot and continue to hone on her other skills I think the best is still to come for her. A lot of people forget she’s so young still. The right coach will make her even better.

Reaction Score
Despite her terrible shooting percentage, on the right team she could be one that force’s defenses to play her honest. She’s already super tough down low despite being undersized so if she can add a consistent 3 point shot and continue to hone on her other skills I think the best is still to come for her. A lot of people forget she’s so young still. The right coach will make her even better.
If she plays inside, she's of great value to every team in the country...........the minute she heads towards that three-point line she makes herself less available to grab offensive rebounds which is one of her strengths...........the fact that she is a lousy three-point shooter is secondary...........I would hope that whatever team she plays for has other starters that are far more proficient at making those shots.......

Reaction Score
I like Morrow and she would definitely be accepted with open open arms at SC. She can rebound with best of them and can shoot from the midrange. People are making too much of her shooting numbers, she's an undersized post on a not so great team. She's #1 on the scouting report by a large margin, so her taking as much shots as she does has more to do with the team's personnel and style of play, rather than her being a poor shooter.

Reaction Score
Let’s say she comes to us and shoots 100 three pt shots per hi year instead of 200 because Dawn let’s her shoot only those 3 pointers that she is wide open for.. would her percentage increase? I think it would.

At DePaul, she is the opponents defensive focus. Thus, she is being covered on many of her 3 pt attempts. Againt our team, opponents are forced to sag on Cardosa. Thus, they would not be able to pick Morrow up on corner threes and she can still crash the boards - like Kiki did.

It all depends on two things: (1) Morrow’s jwillingness to play for a team where she is not getting near as many offensive touches; and (2) whether Dawn believes she will work as a team player rather than a me player without upsetting team chemistry.

I have my doubts, but I’m not Dawn.I , of course, trust her judgment.

Reaction Score
Let’s say she comes to us and shoots 100 three pt shots per hi year instead of 200 because Dawn let’s her shoot only those 3 pointers that she is wide open for.. would her percentage increase? I think it would.

At DePaul, she is the opponents defensive focus. Thus, she is being covered on many of her 3 pt attempts. Againt our team, opponents are forced to sag on Cardosa. Thus, they would not be able to pick Morrow up on corner threes and she can still crash the boards - like Kiki did.

It all depends on two things: (1) Morrow’s jwillingness to play for a team where she is not getting near as many offensive touches; and (2) whether Dawn believes she will work as a team player rather than a me player without upsetting team chemistry.

I have my doubts, but I’m not Dawn.I , of course, trust her judgment.
@visitingcock spot on analysis. ..but I believe the other selling point for her to consider would be--being able to play on the perimeter..

Reaction Score
@visitingcock spot on analysis. ..but I believe the other selling point for her to consider would be--being able to play on the perimeter..
She gets her 25/12 mostly when playing within 10-12 feet of the hoop. When she freelances out to the perimeter, as she so often did last season, her offensive efficiency dropped significantly.

Reaction Score
She gets her 25/12 mostly when playing within 10-12 feet of the hoop. When she freelances out to the perimeter, as she so often did last season, her offensive efficiency dropped significantly.

By numbers yes but if you go and watch some games she definitely has range and a nice shooting touch. Surrounded by better players her numbers could be drastically better inside and out.

Reaction Score
Hailey Van Lith jumped up to my #1 want on the wishlist. We would jump back into the national title talk if we added her. A starting 5 of Johnson - Van Lith - Hall - Feagin - Cardoso would be lethal!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Hailey Van Lith jumped up to my #1 want on the wishlist. We would jump back into the national title talk if we added her. A starting 5 of Johnson - Van Lith - Hall - Feagin - Cardoso would be lethal!
UConn fans can certainly understand how an unexpected loss shakes fans’ confidence but South Carolina doesn’t need to get back into the national title talk because you never left it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom