S.C. Gamecocks 2023 off season | Page 3 | The Boneyard

S.C. Gamecocks 2023 off season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Kitts is a true wing who has a face up mid range jumper as her best weapon and the ability to drive to the rim. She is not a true 4 in any sense like Watkins and Feagin are. She needs to be more on the perimeter than the interior, 3 is perfect for her and that is where Dawn will play her. Think Kiki.

As for Watkins, she played the most minutes of all the Soph’s and freshman not named Hall last year and I believe she starts next to Feagin with Kitts being the first off the bench most games. Kitts will likely make a big jump next season. And Fulwiley will play a bunch, Dawn has called her generational and knows what she has in her, which is a game changer needing only experience to soar.

As a group, this team needs to work on free throw shooting, many shot a horrendous percentage from the line, horrendous as in 50% or below, ouch.
As an outsider (UCONN fan) looking, I agree with the bolded statement above. I’ve seen some tapes of her game, and she’s just awesome. Also, Dawn will make sure her talented skill set is developed and executed while she’s a Gamecock.

Reaction Score
Kitts is a true wing who has a face up mid range jumper as her best weapon and the ability to drive to the rim. She is not a true 4 in any sense like Watkins and Feagin are. She needs to be more on the perimeter than the interior, 3 is perfect for her and that is where Dawn will play her. Think Kiki.

As for Watkins, she played the most minutes of all the Soph’s and freshman not named Hall last year and I believe she starts next to Feagin with Kitts being the first off the bench most games. Kitts will likely make a big jump next season. And Fulwiley will play a bunch, Dawn has called her generational and knows what she has in her, which is a game changer needing only experience to soar.

As a group, this team needs to work on free throw shooting, many shot a horrendous percentage from the line, horrendous as in 50% or below, ouch.
Agreed. Kitts is not a 4 but she will probably be an emergency reserve at that position if we do not snag a transfer forward or center. This season in her limited minutes she mostly held the wing position.

Feagin and Watkins played the 4/5. Watkins is one of those utility players that could possibly fit in Amihere's role but I think she'll mostly play the 4. I could see her easily defending 1-5 once she gets comfortable in Dawn's system.

Reaction Score
With Morrow officially in the portal. I think Dawn and Staff will definitely be in contact with her.

Reaction Score
We need a guard.

Morrow is a great player, but not a great need. We don't need another big. Dawn would probably take her, but I'm not sure on the chemistry. Feagin is ready and has been waiting two years for the frontcourt logjam to clear.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I think Morrow would be a perfect fit for SC. She's an aggressive rebounder and a capable go to player that would pair well alongside Cardoso. She'd slide in well playing the 4 and has opportunity to work on playing the 3 when SC goes with a big lineup. It likely pushes Feagin out of the rotation but I think it'd be a worthwhile trade for South Carolina if Morrow will fit in personality wise. She's a stud.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
We need a guard.

Morrow is a great player, but not a great need. We don't need another big. Dawn would probably take her, but I'm not sure on the chemistry. Feagin is ready and has been waiting two years for the frontcourt logjam to clear.
There's only ten on the roster for next year. SC could easily use 2-3 more players. Chemistry is the big concern with Morrow IMO (I don't know her personality, but adding a player of her caliber into an already established roster is bound to ruffle some feathers).

Reaction Score
I think Morrow would be a perfect fit for SC. She's an aggressive rebounder and a capable go to player that would pair well alongside Cardoso. She'd slide in well playing the 4 and has opportunity to work on playing the 3 when SC goes with a big lineup. It likely pushes Feagin out of the rotation but I think it'd be a worthwhile trade for South Carolina if Morrow will fit in personality wise. She's a stud.
Is she willing to play only 25-30 minutes per game?

I may be a prejudiced oldtimer because I don't believe in pushing a top 5 ranked recruit out of the rotation when she has patiently stayed with i for two years behind the nation's best front court. The portal may offer shiny pretty short term possibilities, but you still build a team for the longterm around talented high schoolers who are loyal to the team and earn their way up the ladder.

Reaction Score
Haven’t watched too many DePaul games. Didn’t know Morrow shot so many 3’s. Not a great %.

Startin’ to see more interesting names enter the portal.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Is she willing to play only 25-30 minutes per game?

I may be a prejudiced oldtimer because I don't believe in pushing a top 5 ranked recruit out of the rotation when she has patiently stayed with i for two years behind the nation's best front court. The portal may offer shiny pretty short term possibilities, but you still build a team for the longterm around talented high schoolers who are loyal to the team and earn their way up the ladder.

It depends on if Morrow wants to prioritize winning or being a star. I agree with the sentiment and think there is merit to it, but both have 2 years of eligibility left and Morrow is clearly the better player at this point. Dawn also hasn't shied away from bringing in big players in the portal (Tea Cooper, Kaela Davis, Alisha Gray). Ultimately her job is to put the best product on the court, and if Feagin can't emerge as a top 3 post on her team as a junior, I think that's more on Feagin than it is on Dawn trying to win.

Reaction Score
I'm not sold on Morrow like you all. She is a volume shooter and she is a little short for a post player (same height as Brea Beal). That could be a liability against tall teams. I would rather she played the 3 but I don't think she has the skill set for that. I'm going to look at her stats and see how she fared against top 25 competition.

Reaction Score
Morrow stats:
42% FG % for the season

This is her efficiency against Sweet 16 caliber teams:
UConn - 20 points (8-26); 25 points (11-23)
Miami - 34 points (13-28)
Maryland - 22 points (8-19)
Louisville - 17 points (6-24)
Villanova - 28 points (12-34); 29 points (11-29); 24 points (10-27)

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I've watched her play at USC, for USA, and in all star games and I just totally disagree.

She's no more a perimeter player at this point than Feagin.

Face up jumpers is what 4s do now. Wings need to handle the ball and hit perimeter shots. Her handle is weak right now and she would struggle defending guards, which wings need to be able to do.

Reaction Score
Admittedly, I only saw clips of Kitts in HS, but I wasn’t all that impressed. She seemed a step slow, not much hop in her jump, and didn’t finish all that well at the rim. My guess is she’ll never crack the starting lineup. But she may be better than what I saw, and may flourish with a bigger challenge. What I don’t really get is why she came to SC early. Am I right in thinking she’s given up a year of eligibility? Was she hoping to get a ring?
I tend to agree.

Reaction Score
42% FG % for the season

Volume shooting scorer. Is this Morrow?.

Reaction Score
I think Morrow could go back and fourth from the 3/4 and same with Feagin. I really like Morrow cause like Bball but said, she would pair well with Watkins and Feagin. All 3 are pretty much interchangeable. They can all play 3-5 so why not land Morrow and skip on having a true Post backup, especially if we’re going to be faster next season. I’m personally past the double post lineup and if you want to go that route at least have a versatile 4 that can strike from inside and out. I felt Saxton held us back a little in that regard.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
42% FG % for the season

Percentages were much better as a freshman. DePaul this year was poorly constructed and over reliant on Morrow/Rogers who took 57% of the shots. Morrow took 24 shots per game this past year, for comparison Caitlin Clark was around 19 per game. Wherever she ends up, she'll likely carry a much lighter load. If she wants to be the star, a school like SC isn't for her.

Reaction Score
We need a guard.

We absolutely need another 4/5. We have Camilla, Sania and Ashlyn. You can’t go thru a season like that.

Reaction Score
We absolutely need another 4/5. We have Camilla, Sania and Ashlyn. You can’t go thru a season like that.
Exactly and like I said before her, Feagin and Watkins would be interchangeable at those positions. The odd woman out would be Jah. But she’s a freshman and inexperienced. She can watch and learn from the older players like Watkins and Feagin did.

Reaction Score
Molly and Craig are so good. The Freshies, as an entire class, did not miss 1 game in their entire career because of injury.

Attachments

• DD226941-D21C-4EBF-B1CF-CAD48BBDECF8.jpeg
    DD226941-D21C-4EBF-B1CF-CAD48BBDECF8.jpeg
    534.8 KB · Views: 93
Reaction Score
I think Morrow could go back and fourth from the 3/4 and same with Feagin. I really like Morrow cause like Bball but said, she would pair well with Watkins and Feagin. All 3 are pretty much interchangeable. They can all play 3-5 so why not land Morrow and skip on having a true Post backup, especially if we’re going to be faster next season. I’m personally past the double post lineup and if you want to go that route at least have a versatile 4 that can strike from inside and out. I felt Saxton held us back a little in that regard.

I don't think adding an undersized four that takes a bunch of shots in the paint and doesn't stretch the floor is better than having two posts that can't really be defended one on one.

Reaction Score
Admittedly, I only saw clips of Kitts in HS, but I wasn’t all that impressed. She seemed a step slow, not much hop in her jump, and didn’t finish all that well at the rim. My guess is she’ll never crack the starting lineup. But she may be better than what I saw, and may flourish with a bigger challenge. What I don’t really get is why she came to SC early. Am I right in thinking she’s given up a year of eligibility? Was she hoping to get a ring?
I’m not sure why she came early either and yes she burned a year of eligibility. I will say this. When she did play she was ALWAYS around the ball. If there was a loose ball or a rebound she found it. If she got in for a minute, she had a stat.

Reaction Score
I think we need a five. Not a four. We have three fours plus Jah and Hall.

If Cardoso turns out to be foul prone we'll have a real problem matching up size to size with bigger teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom