2022 Recruiting: - Rodney Rice | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2022 Recruiting: Rodney Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
What is with you old farts and thinking dipping the basketball is a bad thing? It's like you don't even watch the players you claim are elite shooters. The best shooters on the planet dip--the best of the best adjust their dip depending on how much time they have to shoot. It's used to find rhythm and consistency.

This is him on a catch and shoot. Minimal dip. I'd call that a pretty close to textbook jumper, actually.

First of all it's not a 'dip' whippersnapper. It's a gather and your player does have a gather and is not a quick release. Now, guys with a slow release tend to be more accurate. the problem with the gather is poor footwork before the catch. With this guy the catch and the shoot are two distinct moves and it needs to be in flow to be quicker. Watch Stef Curry and you will see the best footwork of a catch and shoot. I think there's a video of Azzi Fudd working on the footwork Stef showed her.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
First of all it's not a 'dip' whippersnapper. It's a gather and your player does have a gather and is not a quick release. Now, guys with a slow release tend to be more accurate. the problem with the gather is poor footwork before the catch. With this guy the catch and the shoot are two distinct moves and it needs to be in flow to be quicker. Watch Stef Curry and you will see the best footwork of a catch and shoot. I think there's a video of Azzi Fudd working on the footwork Stef showed her.

Trying to explain basketball to people who don't watch basketball is going to be tough. I wish yout he best of luck.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
1597668949864.png

@temery I think it's broken...

Reaction Score

You do realize that a "dip" and a "gather" are two separate things? Shooters "gather" the ball, then "dip" the ball. I'm not even talking about the merits of any kind of shooting motion--this just seems kind of obvious. Players gather the ball on drives too (ie. we refer to the "gather step" in NBA and how high school kids think they can get away with the same thing). You gather the ball every time you pick it up or catch it. Ain't nobody dipping the ball on a layup. They're two separate things. This is all over the FIBA/NBA/NFHS rulebooks.

Gather = literally gathering the ball in your hands
Dip = Ball is already in your hands.

If I'm teaching a kid to improve his gather, we're working on pick up point off the dribble, catching with good hand placement. If I'm teaching a dip, we're working on staying low early, the timing of energy transfer from the hips, and using a dip to re-center and find a rhythm through bad passes.

Agree that his pre-catch footwork is meh. I'd imagine the coaches at Dematha are going to make that part of his training program. Needs to get his hands and feet ready earlier. But that probably wasn't necessary at the level he was playing at, so it makes sense why he hasn't needed to speed up his release. I do like that he used a hop in one and a 1-2 step on another in the highlight. Shooters always favor one, but it's a good sign if they can use both.

Really impressed that you found out Steph Curry has good footwork. Where'd you learn that? Would love to know the resource. Thanks for the insight.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Dip, gather, hitch...
Every shooter has their own style. A good, consistent scorer with proven results will keep doing it their way.

Sock sock shoe shoe vs sock shoe sock shoe.....

Same result

Reaction Score
You do realize that a "dip" and a "gather" are two separate things? Shooters "gather" the ball, then "dip" the ball. I'm not even talking about the merits of any kind of shooting motion--this just seems kind of obvious. Players gather the ball on drives too (ie. we refer to the "gather step" in NBA and how high school kids think they can get away with the same thing). You gather the ball every time you pick it up or catch it. Ain't nobody dipping the ball on a layup. They're two separate things. This is all over the FIBA/NBA/NFHS rulebooks.

Gather = literally gathering the ball in your hands
Dip = Ball is already in your hands.

If I'm teaching a kid to improve his gather, we're working on pick up point off the dribble, catching with good hand placement. If I'm teaching a dip, we're working on staying low early, the timing of energy transfer from the hips, and using a dip to re-center and find a rhythm through bad passes.

Agree that his pre-catch footwork is meh. I'd imagine the coaches at Dematha are going to make that part of his training program. Needs to get his hands and feet ready earlier. But that probably wasn't necessary at the level he was playing at, so it makes sense why he hasn't needed to speed up his release. I do like that he used a hop in one and a 1-2 step on another in the highlight. Shooters always favor one, but it's a good sign if they can use both.

Really impressed that you found out Steph Curry has good footwork. Where'd you learn that? Would love to know the resource. Thanks for the insight.

When I dip you dip.... Ah never mind.

Reaction Score
we’re on [Rice] in a big way. He’s our 2022 CG priority. Still a long ways to go in this one but starting off in a good spot.
unlike the posts citing kenya as the reason why Sallis is suddenly interested in IU, kenya leaving is surely the reason we went from starting in a good spot with Rice to not being one of the 5 teams most involved, while IU is. especially considering Rice was supposed to be our CG priority.

Cuffe is a great plan B at CG though. he's friends with Avery Brown who we know is very good friends with Clingan. i've said this before, but signing Cuffe could have a domino effect in 2022. Cuffe could help us recruit Brown who could very well push us across the finish line with Clingan.

let's be honest, 2022 is all about clingan, so i'm in favor of doing anything to swing the odds. it wouldn't matter if we signed rice, gayle, and karaban.... if we didn't sign clingan too we'd never hear the end of it, especially if we lost him to Cuse, god forbid.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
unlike the posts citing kenya as the reason why Sallis is suddenly interested in IU, kenya leaving is surely the reason we went from starting in a good spot with Rice to not being one of the 5 teams most involved, while IU is.

Cuffe is a great plan B at CG though. he's friends with Avery Brown who we know is very good friends with Clingan. i've said this before, but signing Cuffe could have a domino effect in 2022. Cuffe could help us recruit Brown who could very well push us across the finish line with Clingan.

let's be honest, 2022 is all about clingan, so i'm in favor of doing anything to swing the odds. it wouldn't matter if we signed rice, gayle, and karaban.... if we didn't sign clingan too we'd never hear the end of losing him to MSU or Cuse, god forbid.
I pretty much disagree with this entire post and personally could care less about what MSU and Cuse fans think. That should have zero effect on anything. Toughen up

Reaction Score
I pretty much disagree with this entire post and personally could care less about what MSU and Cuse fans think. That should have zero effect on anything. Toughen up
what else do you disagree with? if you don't think Clingan would be the biggest recruiting miss since marcus camby, which is still talked about 25 years later, then agree to disagree

P.S. you could *not* care less.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member