Rodney Purvis on campus | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rodney Purvis on campus

Reaction Score
Maybe, but it is surprising to see it just put out there plainly.

I frequently have said on the board that Kevin was the only person who could have coached the 2014 team to victory. Afterwards, he was abysmal, but during that season he was the right man at the right time.

I may need to rethink that.
I agree… I thought that was one of the best coaching jobs ever…he even said they were going to win it all before the tournament… then he was just awful after 2014

Reaction Score
Aligns with what a lot of people have already said - 2012-2014 KO was a lot different than 2015-2018 KO.
KO deserves credit for the championship run. Even the most talented college player in history would likely not be able to beat 4 or 5 hall of fame coaches in a row en route to a title without some coaching help. But KO also got lucky that Shabazz probably had the highest basketball IQ of any player to ever step foot in Storrs. Bazz masked so many of the areas where KO was deficient (which evidently was quite a lot lol), and it showed immediately after Bazz graduated.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Hell yeah I hope players keep talking about their time with KO like this. Lots of talented young men trusted him and put their futures in his hands and he failed them.

A job in amateur athletics is about more than just winning (which he also failed at). I’ll never get the apologists.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
KO deserves credit for the championship run. Even the most talented college player in history would likely not be able to beat 4 or 5 hall of fame coaches in a row en route to a title without some coaching help. But KO also got lucky that Shabazz probably had the highest basketball IQ of any player to ever step foot in Storrs. Bazz masked so many of the areas where KO was deficient (which evidently was quite a lot lol), and it showed immediately after Bazz graduated.

Reaction Score
I would love to see Shabazz as a assistant coach at uconn

Reaction Score

I agree with what Purvis is saying but KO’s defensive gameplans in the 2014 NCAAT were legit HOF worthy. That entire team executed to perfection, especially in crunch time. I don’t think we win the title in 2014 with Calhoun and he’s the best college coach of all time. Beyond that title, KO doesn’t deserve any credit for anything. He torpedoed the program and the biggest victims were the players who had their entire futures squandered because of his negligence. They trusted him and he cost them the opportunity to make generation wealth in the NBA, and then he walked away with an $11M check

Reaction Score
I would love to see Shabazz as a assistant coach at uconn
Me too but sometimes those super high IQ guys don’t want to be coaches because it’s a completely different skillset. Look at Tom Brady, highest IQ ever for a QB but he’s said numerous times he could never be a coach.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Didn’t see this one. Excuse if a duplicate

I believe what he’s saying about everything, but this does give him motive to dunk on KO out of spite.

Reaction Score
I remember hearing that it was Miller that developed all the defensive game plan during that run, especially against UK. But I could be out in left field.

KO gets the title next to his name, but I’m not sure it’s because of him or in spite of him and that’s only partially in jest.

Purvis is great, he got hosed, no player development at all by that staff.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
And people will still defend KO when player after player points to his gross negligence as coach which led to some of the darkest years in UConn history for both its fans and its players. Kids with an insane amount of talent who should’ve gotten drafted had their careers derailed because of this guy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom