RJ Cole not returning | Page 2 | The Boneyard

RJ Cole not returning

Reaction Score
Phrasing might be important here.

Tyrese Martin’s announcement explicitly stated that he’s forgoing his final year of eligibility and going pro. I think RJ Cole might be leaving the door open to return. Just a thought.
I’ll just say phrasing isn’t important and he’s for sure gone.

EDIT: this looks like I’m responding from a burner lol. For clarification, someone who would know confirmed to me that RJ Cole isn’t returning.

Last edited:

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Best of luck to RJ. Great kid and player. Glad he could fulfill his dream of playing for UConn... he lived up to UConn PG standards, which says a lot.

Currently, we're pretty effed at PG next year.

Gaffney can't be our PG next year, and I'm hesitant about him even staying in his backup role. We need a transfer, maybe even 2 based on Diggins barely seeing the floor this year.

Jackson will be a point forward, but he shouldn't be relied on as primary PG and ball handler.

It will be really interesting to see if Hurley goes into the transfer portal this year after priding himself on the UConn family. If so, it needs to be an impact transfer.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Mad respect for RJ, he helped accelerate our rebuild. We we’re coming off a bubble season the off season he committed, but he didn’t run from the challenge. Whaley/Cole/Tyrese/Bouknight built the foundation for the program to bounce back to prominence on, their efforts will pay dividends down the road. Best of luck to RJ.

Reaction Score
Is there any truth to Castle’s ability/desire to reclass or is that all made up rumors
Would love insight on this. To be honest, I’d rather a Castle reclass than any transfer and go full developmental year. Tons of minutes for Castle, Floyd, Diggins, Hawkins, Karaban & Samson. Would make us EXTREMELY dangerous in ‘23-24 if everyone (mainly Hawkins, Jackson + Sanogo) is still here.

Reaction Score
Would love insight on this. To be honest, I’d rather a Castle reclass than any transfer and go full developmental year. Tons of minutes for Castle, Floyd, Diggins, Hawkins, Karaban & Samson. Would make us EXTREMELY dangerous in ‘23-24 if everyone (mainly Hawkins, Jackson + Sanogo) is still here.
Yea kinda where I'm at too. Probably still need another body back there but if Creighton can get both Nembhard and Trey Alexander to play point at a high level as freshmen you'd think we'd be able to have at least one of Castle/Diggins step up.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
This was the right decision for him and quite frankly the program as a whole. We have two young guards who need minutes. It will be ugly at first next season but that’s the only way they’ll truly grow.

With that said, Hurley better get a high caliber scorer from the transfer portal.
I doubt Diggins is going to be in the rotation. He couldn't even beat out Gaffney in practice.

The starting five will likely be
Sanogo
Karaban
Jackson
Hawkins
Transfer PG

The bench
Clingan
Floyd Jr.
Transfer F
Johnson

Akok
Gaffney
Diggins
Springs

Reaction Score
Good for RJ and Rese. Now were forced to press reset and get our youth involved and do the necessary work to get new blood on the court.

Reaction Score
Sad to see him leave. He was my favorite player this year. The most consistent player and the only one who could create their own shot. A huge loss that we will have to replace in the Transfer Portal if we want to stay competitive next year. I will always remember his big floater against Villanova to give us the win. He was someone a lot of his doubted due to his size and lack of athlectic hops but he was just a winner. Good fortune RJ "Harden" Cole. You will succeed in your next level of competition due your drive and hard play. You will be sorely missed by all Uconn Fans!

Reaction Score
This entire board is sleeping on Rahsool. I know he hasn't shown much. Nor does he have much experience. But I wouldn't be surprised if he surprises many on this board with his output next year. Kid was a top 60 player outside of high school for a reason.
It's tough to feel good about giving serious minutes to a guy who couldn't get on the floor despite a desperate need for another ballhandler, and who looked as bad as Diggins looked when he did get minutes. Sure, he might make a leap before next year, but you could spend all day listing guys who were ranked higher than Diggins only to be complete busts in college.

Reaction Score
This was the right decision for him and quite frankly the program as a whole. We have two young guards who need minutes. It will be ugly at first next season but that’s the only way they’ll truly grow.

With that said, Hurley better get a high caliber scorer from the transfer portal.
We need a PG really bad who can create and break down defenders and get his own shot too in the Transfer Portal.

Reaction Score
I doubt Diggins is going to be in the rotation. He couldn't even beat out Gaffney in practice.

The starting five will likely be
Sanogo
Karaban
Jackson
Hawkins
Transfer PG

The bench
Clingan
Floyd Jr.
Transfer F
Johnson

Akok
Gaffney
Diggins
Springs
I think Samson might start ahead of Karaban at the 4 as he does have a good shot and is a better athlete with a year of experience. Though if he dissapoints Karaban will take of the position.

Reaction Score
Absolutely not. You cannot be running out a lineup with Curbelo and Jackson. Neither of them can shoot. You can't win games scoring 50 points
You must’ve missed the part about hiring a shooting coach..

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Good for RJ. Thank you for all you did. It’s time to get on with his life and career, and I wish him much success.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom