Replace Kia in the starting lineup with ........ | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Replace Kia in the starting lineup with ........

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't think you got the full understanding of the article, I state respectfully. What does paying attention do for the player - does it help mentally or just physically or both? Does at the mental help improve the physical? Is there a connection between the mental and the physical?
I can't with you! The thesis of the article restated a long standing UCONN expectation that any player must be ready MENTALLY to go into the game when their time comes. PHYSICALLY there is not a darn thing you can do to get ready to go into a game. This is not football or track where you can warm up on the side lines. Actually I take that back at the end of the 2013 season Dolson would ride a bike behind the bench to keep her lower body warm. I am really tempted to put you on ignore but I will not be able to tell if I'm getting through to you. Besides Nan and other are encouraging you to hang in there as new poster. But Seriously #STEPYOURGAMEUP!

Reaction Score
Now we entering the land of ridiculousness. Geno has used many different combinations, maybe not the one you like. Differing opinions are good for conversation but like a bad joke, if you have to explain your opinion multiple times, it was bad.
Well, I don't know. Galileo had to explain many times that he believed the earth was not the center of the solar system. I do hope that's taken as a joke; ok a bad joke. But the problem is that these young women are all so talented and loved by the fans that anyone who suggests that any one of them have their minutes reduced had better be wearing a helmet. I wouldn't even suggest that Poli's minutes be reduced unless I was in a tank.

Reaction Score
As strawman arguments go, this is an insult to scarecrows everywhere. Who in their wrong mind, much less their right mind, would bet their house on any team, on Jan. 31, making the NC game. Way too much time for ailment, illness, and injury, not to mention we are talking 18-22 year-olds here. That doesn't mean that there aren't clear trends and likelihoods in play - but, opinion doesn't measure up to 6-figure bets.
Of course they might be on the same side of the semi draw as UCONN....so at best they start with only a 50% chance to get to the final...hardly worth a "bet the house"

Reaction Score
But you can have it BOTH WAYS - they call it situational substitution. Also I don't see Kia bringing up the ball a lot of the times like Mo - I could be wrong and apologize if I am.

1-- Kia does bring the ball up. But as we saw vs Memphis for example when Memphis tried to deny the ball to MoJeff what happened? UCONN got the ball in Kia's hands and she drove toward the basket, stopped pulled up and hit a 10-12-15 foot wide open shot. This was done without having to do substitutions. Keeping the flow of the game intact. And surely you have watched enough UCONN games in which you have seen Kia Nurse lead fastbreaks, right? How many fastbreaks have you seen KLS and Collier lead?

2-- So you said MoJeff getting too many minutes and you want KLS and NC in the backcourt or NC at sf with KLS in backcourt. No doubt you want MoJeff taken out when we are up by a wide margin. So we're up 67-30 let's say. You want KLS as the 2nd ball-handler I suppose? You want to use her in a situation that will slow down the game and which we'll never use vs the top teams in the country vs ND or USC? Why would you want these players to "practice" / "play in the blowout" slowing the game down in positions they are unlikely never going to play this year vs. the elite teams? Wouldn't you want them playing their natural positions with much less to think about (they are freshmen also) at a certain pace of play they can best integrate with the team in a comfortable manner? How does it help UCONN this year vs a potential matchup with USC or ND for example by having KLS bringing up the ball like the 2nd best ball-handler when UCONN wants to utilize an uptempo because they have the best pg in Amerca who is super fast and have Stewart - whom you want to get as many shots as possible while also getting Tuck as many shots as possible? How does playing this slower style and ultimately getting less shots make them better?

3--- Back to the 67-30 score. So it is mid-way 3rd qtr - UCONN pulls MoJeff- now we have Kia and KLS at the guards with the sf Collier. The opposing team presses UCONN. So you replied to me you are in favor of situational substitutions in this manner, correct? So unlike in the example in bold above I gave you when Nurse was able to knock down the wide open jumper because Memphis was denying MoJeff- your proposal is "situational substitution?" You want UCONN to deliberately break the flow of the game because a far inferior team has CAUSED you to go back and forth on substitutions? Why would you even consider wanting to do that? Wouldn't it be easier to keep the flow of the game as close as possible that it was when MoJeff was in (because UCONN DOES want to play at decent fast pace based on their personnel AND vs elite teams Geno will WANT/DEMAND the players keep up playing that pace, right?) , and have the freshmen play in positions best suited for them to succeed vs the elite teams? So for most of the game why not have MoJeff/Kia and Saniya at the 1/2 positions and have the freshmen learn to play mostly with them and at that pace?

Instead you want UCONN to react to an inferior opponent even though they are up by 30-50 points? Why not play at a pace that UCONN wants to play at and let the inferior opponent react to UCONN? Thus there would be then no reason for situational substitutions if UCONN is playing well vs the inferior opponent. Let the opponent to react to the superior team- which this year is definitely UCONN.

Reaction Score
I would not worry about USC right now until the game which then prove who is right but I will say that if Gabby is not afraid but box out a big then she will dominate the boards. The watch words are putting a body on a big, boxing them at the free throw line and making them work themselves under the board. This is take strength from them throughout the game, and IF Gabby is in superior conditioning then USC bigs will be winded in the 4th and Gabby will then dominate with ease!!! Bold statement but I have had undersized teams in superior conditioning and willingness to box out bigs, and it has worked the majority of times. Poor shooting in the ones that we lost.

Why shouldn't I worry about the number 2 ranked team in the country? No offense - but I shouldn't worry about the number two ranked team in the country (and imo Geno is getting his team best prepared to face them) all because you say so? He benches players because he doesn't like their body language and so don't you think he is worried? You don't think Geno is preparing his team vs the top teams? I heard him say it is all about titles. I'm sure you heard that too, right? So how does this mean there should be no worry about this elite team (NUMBER TWO in the COUNTRY) UCONN is about to face maybe two times?

How many minutes do you propose to play Gabby vs USC? You propose to play Gabby 30 minutes and she'll wear down who; Wilson? Who would you want Gabby to guard in this game and for how long you want her to guard and play?

And in regards to the teams you have coached. This reminds me of people I hear that go fishing and told me all the fish they caught but never show them. Or the gambler that always wins in Vegas. OFC your teams never got beat with size? Or did you do a poor coaching job on occasion when you have had smaller teams and were beaten pretty badly by the size? And as a coach you have never respected and opponent? If you respect USC how can you say "Don't worry about USC). Maybe there is one game vs USF to worry about but who else should UCONN worry about if not the number 2 ranked team? IS that how you taught your kids as a coach? Please don't take offense to my comments. Not intended to be. But you brought up about being a coach. And if you are a coach every once in a while you had to take a beating, right? I'm just stunned though- you seem to have such a cavalier attitude toward opponents and substitutions. You don't sound like a coach with these type of attitudes. Don't "worry" about the number 2 ranked team in the country? This coming from a coach?

Reaction Score
You could have just stopped at the bolded part and you would probably get universal agreement.
Cleverness in one's mind is ...................
You could have just stopped at the bolded part and you would probably get universal agreement.
I don't look for agreement from anyone, unless it is heart-felt and true to their nature.

Reaction Score
1-- Kia does bring the ball up. But as we saw vs Memphis for example when Memphis tried to deny the ball to MoJeff what happened? UCONN got the ball in Kia's hands and she drove toward the basket, stopped pulled up and hit a 10-12-15 foot wide open shot. This was done without having to do substitutions. Keeping the flow of the game intact. And surely you have watched enough UCONN games in which you have seen Kia Nurse lead fastbreaks, right? How many fastbreaks have you seen KLS and Collier lead?

2-- So you said MoJeff getting too many minutes and you want KLS and NC in the backcourt or NC at sf with KLS in backcourt. No doubt you want MoJeff taken out when we are up by a wide margin. So we're up 67-30 let's say. You want KLS as the 2nd ball-handler I suppose? You want to use her in a situation that will slow down the game and which we'll never use vs the top teams in the country vs ND or USC? Why would you want these players to "practice" / "play in the blowout" slowing the game down in positions they are unlikely never going to play this year vs. the elite teams? Wouldn't you want them playing their natural positions with much less to think about (they are freshmen also) at a certain pace of play they can best integrate with the team in a comfortable manner? How does it help UCONN this year vs a potential matchup with USC or ND for example by having KLS bringing up the ball like the 2nd best ball-handler when UCONN wants to utilize an uptempo because they have the best pg in Amerca who is super fast and have Stewart - whom you want to get as many shots as possible while also getting Tuck as many shots as possible? How does playing this slower style and ultimately getting less shots make them better?

3--- Back to the 67-30 score. So it is mid-way 3rd qtr - UCONN pulls MoJeff- now we have Kia and KLS at the guards with the sf Collier. The opposing team presses UCONN. So you replied to me you are in favor of situational substitutions in this manner, correct? So unlike in the example in bold above I gave you when Nurse was able to knock down the wide open jumper because Memphis was denying MoJeff- your proposal is "situational substitution?" You want UCONN to deliberately break the flow of the game because a far inferior team has CAUSED you to go back and forth on substitutions? Why would you even consider wanting to do that? Wouldn't it be easier to keep the flow of the game as close as possible that it was when MoJeff was in (because UCONN DOES want to play at decent fast pace based on their personnel AND vs elite teams Geno will WANT/DEMAND the players keep up playing that pace, right?) , and have the freshmen play in positions best suited for them to succeed vs the elite teams? So for most of the game why not have MoJeff/Kia and Saniya at the 1/2 positions and have the freshmen learn to play mostly with them and at that pace?

Instead you want UCONN to react to an inferior opponent even though they are up by 30-50 points? Why not play at a pace that UCONN wants to play at and let the inferior opponent react to UCONN? Thus there would be then no reason for situational substitutions if UCONN is playing well vs the inferior opponent. Let the opponent to react to the superior team- which this year is definitely UCONN.
What I suggested may help in future games when situations are not as predictable with the easy competition we have now. Glad to see the great analysis you presented and passion you put into it. Hope it was worth your valuable time in doing it.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Cleverness in one's mind is ....

I don't look for agreement from anyone, unless it is heart-felt and true to their nature.
This sounds like something from an old Kung script or was it in my last fortune cookie.

Reaction Score
I can't with you! The thesis of the article restated a long standing UCONN expectation that any player must be ready MENTALLY to go into the game when their time comes. PHYSICALLY there is not a darn thing you can do to get ready to go into a game. This is not football or track where you can warm up one the side lines. Actually I take that back at the end of the 2013 season Dolson would ride a bike behind the bench to keep her lower body warm. I am really tempted to put you on ignore but I will not be able to tell if I'm getting through to you. Besides Nan and other are encouraging you to hang in there as new poster. But Seriously #STEPYOURGAMEUP!
Here you go again - not understanding the relationship between how the mind affects the physical and I am not talking about machines like bikes during a game. i.e. If a shooter has low confidence in her/his shot will it translate into a good shot? If an athlete has supreme confidence does it not translate into extraordinary strength and skill? If you say NO then you are missing the point, do your research between the two (mind and body) and have a nice day.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If a shooter has low confidence in her/his shot will it translate into a good shot? If an athlete has supreme confidence does it not translate into extraordinary strength and skill? If you say NO then you are missing the point, do your research between the two (mind and body) and have a nice day.
If I say No, I mean No. No! Supreme CONFIDENCE DOES NOT TRANSLATE into Extraordinary STRENGTH! This is not the little engine that could, it is basketball. In basketball strength comes from being in the weight room, and confidence comes usually from successful repetitions. Neither comes from sitting on the bench and thinking "I think I can, I think I can".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom