Replace Kia in the starting lineup with ........ | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Replace Kia in the starting lineup with ........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You're still going on about this silly idea??...
No, you have not thought it out. u r too quick to react. You would be easy to manipulate on the court as an opponent.
Please be wise - think clearly first

Reaction Score
Unless I am watching another team called UConn Women---Geno tinkers with his starting line up at least 3 times or more this season. And in games multiple times. To his credit he is assessing the merits of various lineups during these games.
As to not putting a "forward" out on the perimeter against as small guard--GABBY does that every game. She big, shes quick, she's fast and she can guard. Her shot from the top of the Key is accurate, her attacking the basket shots are efficient. She has replaced Kia in the line up in a few games this year. Because a forward is a forward does not mean they cannot guard a guard. That's 1950 technology. Using a player where that player best fits at the moment or during a game--Geno does and has done it for years.
So all the theories of the newbie have merit based on Geno's adjustments. Will Geno do it, hell no!
Why? Because Kia is more than just a pretty face, tough kid, good guard, she has a 3 ball shot that arrives in big games that puts 2,3 or 4 3 ball shots when necessary. She is a crunch time kid.
My hopes are that Katie lou will take fewer 3 ball shots and more jumpers from the key--she hasn't missed one yet.
So all you who enjoy nitpicking and tearing apart---do your damnedest

Reaction Score
You're still going on about this silly idea??...
Why is it that you have a question mark as your identifying sign-in? Unsure about a lot of things? Why r u asking questions
sarcastically?

Reaction Score
Yes, tinker with the chemistry of this team that is on a 50+ game win streak, soon to be 60+. Wait, don't do that until right before you play Baylor in the National Championship game.
Watch out you may have to tinker, especially if you have freshmen in the starting lineup!

Reaction Score
Now we entering the land of ridiculousness. Geno has used many different combinations, maybe not the one you like. Differing opinions are good for conversation but like a bad joke, if you have to explain your opinion multiple times, it was bad.
Not wanting to offend anyone, I am sorry for anything that may have been construed as offensive, but my intention(s) was/were not so.

Reaction Score
I am very surprised - getting close to 5,000 views in 3 days so I will just read all the opinions from now on. Thank you for the privilege of posting to this blog.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know people are disagreeing with you in this thread but don't be discouraged. Keep posting!
Actually I love it! When one is being criticized they are doing something, whether it is viewed right or wrong.
Show me a person who has not failed and I will show you a person who has not done anything.

Reaction Score
New

2 things and I've had my fun:why even have a forum if everyone wears the same rose-colored glasses; and 2, with a team as good as uconn and virtually everyone on it, one has to nitpick to create any excitement(I think there's a well known fairly successful coach who does something similar to help his players become the best they can).
If you've bothered to read other threads you'll know people can, and do, criticize the team and Geno. I must say, though, that your admission that you're having fun by deliberately raising the hackles of fan makes you, by definition, a troll. People tend to treat trolls with some hostility.

Usually people who criticize the team or geno get roasted, but I understand the fervor of these people. I remember an older forum(I don't think it was this one) people were tarred and feathered for anything 'anti'. I don't mind the hostility, though I don't deliberately try to upset people and will check this in the future.
I only thought we were talking about 'basketball' here, not Isis or peace or hunger in the world. My bad.
Troll

Appreciate the work you do, nan. Seriously

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Did you read that wonderful article on Kia today on SNY website -
Williams making noise on, off the court
Here are 2 quotes from Geno himself:

"That's the hardest thing for players today to do, actually be in the game when they are sitting on the bench," Auriemma said.

Also he said: “Be in the game when you're sitting there because that will help you be better when you actually get in the game. Gabby understands that now."

So CocoHusky - This is strictly for YOU: Yes, you can improve your game by sitting on the bench - whether placed there by your poor playing or getting your rest, as long as you take advantage of the time on the bench, and not just sit there mentally empty.

Here are more fragmented statements from the article:
But, unlike last year, she's getting the job done in the early stages instead of when victory is secure.

And I'm doing more things when it matters, when the game could be decided.

I'm very vocal off the court," Williams said. "I try to have a lot of energy and it was a matter of me bringing it to the court."

you have to trust the coaches. It's like when they changed my position. I wasn't necessarily happy to be a forward. But look where I am now."

Auriemma said. "What sets her apart from everyone else is her explosiveness, her ability to just instinctively make plays.

So CoCoHusky, a good benching warming for anyone will improve their game, if taken advantage of. Also after your benching the fire inside of you should be so hot that you will work after practice that half hour more, get up earlier to run,etc and do all the other things like shoot, shoot, shoot to be better.

BTW:
from the article again:
On the season, Williams is averaging 9.8 points and 6.3 rebounds in 19.4 minutes. She leads the AAC in field-goal percentage (61.9)

There is also a rant by the Wisconsin coach that I saw on the boneyard yesterday where she says that players should get their butts in the gym!!!

Gabby has surely done that!
I did read the article. Did you read my comment? I stand by my comment: A player cannot improve shooting percentage ( shoot their way out of a shooting slump) from the bench. Of course a player should be a good teammate by paying attention and cheering for teammates while they are on the bench.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Sorry. I forgot. Thou shall not criticize the king and his court. :)
If by King you mean Geno, be advised he has been promoted.- more godlike than King these days.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco - don't usually disagree on these types of things and I think Stewart compares very well to both DT and Maya, but ...
I don't think Stewart is the type of 'leader' that either of those two players were or that Morgan and Moriah are on the current team. I think it is a question of how much you need to put on a players shoulders, and with Stef and Bria and Morgan and Moriah there was no reason to push Stewart to take on those responsibilities as well. With DT and Maya the first two years of their careers there was no need either with Sue et al, and Rene around. But in their last two years there was no one else, and they already tended in that direction anyway.
Stewart leads with her skill on the court but has been allowed to defer more of the team responsibility because Morgan is a natural, and Moriah by position is as well. You saw that dynamic play out in the U19 team as well where Morgan was appointed captain by the coach to lessen the burden on Stewart.
Not saying Stewart isn't capable and hasn't taken a part in the leadership, just that it is a lesser responsibility for her than for others.
Leadership takes many dimensions and I personally give little credence to UCONN having a "leadership vacum" in the aftermath of the Stanford game. The vocal dimension that Morgan & Moriah provide, you are never going to get from Stewie-not her personality. The dimension that you consistently get from Stewie you will only occasionally get from Morgan & Moriah. Both are necessary and important. Stewie's dimension is to lead by example and deliver by putting the team on her back, get the team off to a good starts, and make tough shots in a close game. In short for 3 years now (especially in big games) the way to have a chance to beat UCONN is to have Stewie play poorly. It has not happened. When you deliver consistently you have people who emulate and want to follow you-that makes you a leader.
Even when Dolson & Hartley were on the team Stewie was still providing this dimension: At Baylor she took over a closely contested game, At Duke although many remember the KML return & barrage of 3 Points it was Stewie who got the team up by double digits within the first 5 minutes of the game. Stephanie Dolson once famously called out Stewie at half time of an NCAA tournament game. Sewie delivered in the second half. IMO both were excellent examples of leadership with the delivery of positive results sightly more important.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Prolly best not to replace her at all, doncha think? Things actually seem to be going pretty well.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Leadership takes many dimensions and I personally give little credence to UCONN having a "leadership vacum" in the aftermath of the Stanford game. The vocal dimension that Morgan & Moriah provide, you are never going to get from Stewie-not her personality. The dimension that you consistently get from Stewie you will only occasionally get from Morgan & Moriah. Both are necessary and important. Stewie's dimension is to lead by example and deliver by putting the team on her back, get the team off to a good starts, and make tough shots in a close game. In short for 3 years now (especially in big games) the way to have a chance to beat UCONN is to have Stewie play poorly. It has not happened. When you deliver consistently you have people who emulate and want to follow you-that makes you a leader.
Even when Dolson & Hartley were on the team Stewie was still providing this dimension: At Baylor she took over a closely contested game, At Duke although many remember the KML return & barrage of 3 Points it was Stewie who got the team up by double digits within the first 5 minutes of the game. Stephanie Dolson once famously called out Stewie at half time of an NCAA tournament game. Sewie delivered in the second half. IMO both were excellent examples of leadership with the delivery of positive results sightly more important.
Not disagreeing at all on those aspects of leadership that Stewart provides - where my quibble lies is in what all coaches need - someone on the team that reenforces the coaches messages - the person that takes a player aside and says 'stop skating and get your ass in gear', or 'something is wrong here, if I can't help, I can find someone who can, but you need to talk to me' or who just makes sure no one is feeling excluded or that groups aren't forming within the team that are counter productive. The one that goes into the coaches offices and says 'something isn't right with _____, and you need to get involved'. And to whom the coaches will speak about the same types of concerns. They are the manager of the team dynamic off the court which can be as important as anything happening between the lines.

Reaction Score
As crazy as it might sound and it is - drop MoJeff minutes by 3-5 minutes, insert Collier and Katie to bring the ball against AAC competition, leave MoJeff in for 40 minutes against SC then drop her minutes along

All UCONN would need is MoJeff and 6'3" Katie to dribble then pass to each other until they get to the half court line then pass to the other 3 near our basketball without dribbling too much. Passing is one of our best assets. Press broken!

In one post you say you that you want to reduce MoJeff's minutes yet in another you use MoJeff in a clear example of how she will be so vital in breaking the press. You can't have it both ways. If you have KLS as your pg (which imo is absolutely crazy) and Collier as your sg - then MoJeff isn't in the game, right? Anyhow with no MoJeff and with your proposal- the other team doesn't NEED to force a turnover. They press to slow the game down then sit back in a zone after the press.

So initially on this thread you wanted more shot opportunities. Now you want to further slow the game down? So we have the most talented team in the country and your philosophy is to slow the game down because you want a more equal opportunity minute distribution? Do you realize that is opposite of what you had 1st said about wanting more shots? Now you will keep scores lower -- while you are giving our stars less opportunities to shoot. So you think that will also help future recruiting? You think stars love to play slower and have less opportunities to shoot? The big posts do but many of these same players realize if they want pro aspirations they had better get used to running. At UCONN many have pro aspirations.

*I can see in blowouts using KLS/Collier and Gabby at the 2/3/4 positions in very, very, very very, very , very limited time - and next year if all three improve their outside shooting and further improve their ball-handling and passing-- then sure. But they need to be much more improved. Right now this wouldn't be a title winning grouping. No reason to play this lineup this year other than maybe minor/mop-up minutes. The idea this year is still to win a championship though while trying to play better. This lineup would never be used vs an elite team unless we have injuries or blow them out. The idea is for the team to win a title. Not worry as much about minuet distribution. I was surprised he only played 15 minutes of Gabby last game. But that isn't what got this thread all started. It was to bench Nurse. Maybe he will if she keeps throwing up bricks. But overall UCONN is a much better team if they have guards MoJeff and Kia Nurse running the ball down the other team's throat.

***AND for those of you knocking KLS's 3pt attempts - I agree that maybe she could reduce a couple- but more than that are we talking out of 2 sides of the mouth? In part the idea when we play these much lesser teams with no hope to win is for UCONN to work on things that will make us better/ make us even more unbeatable. Even Geno has said he is concerned in NCAA's going against very good 3pt shooting teams while his team isn't shooting well. SO why wouldn't we want to see KLS keep shooting in these games we know the other team has no chance? Her history is that she IS a 3point shooter. Isn't it best she keep working that part of her game during these blowouts?

Reaction Score
Unless I am watching another team called UConn Women---Geno tinkers with his starting line up at least 3 times or more this season. And in games multiple times. To his credit he is assessing the merits of various lineups during these games.
As to not putting a "forward" out on the perimeter against as small guard--GABBY does that every game. She big, shes quick, she's fast and she can guard. Her shot from the top of the Key is accurate, her attacking the basket shots are efficient. She has replaced Kia in the line up in a few games this year. Because a forward is a forward does not mean they cannot guard a guard. That's 1950 technology. Using a player where that player best fits at the moment or during a game--Geno does and has done it for years.
So all the theories of the newbie have merit based on Geno's adjustments. Will Geno do it, hell no!
Why? Because Kia is more than just a pretty face, tough kid, good guard, she has a 3 ball shot that arrives in big games that puts 2,3 or 4 3 ball shots when necessary. She is a crunch time kid.
My hopes are that Katie lou will take fewer 3 ball shots and more jumpers from the key--she hasn't missed one yet.

I agree with some of things you say. But I don't agree Gabby has shown "top of the key accuracy." IMO it has been ft line accuracy. Secondly I don't agree she attacks the basket efficiently unless you mean she attacks offensive rebounds hard. Much of her "efficiency" imo is from offensive rebounds, fast breaks/steals and a low post (and now maybe ft line jump shots! :)) with one dribble or less. But when think of "attacking the basket" - I think of slashing toward the basket off the dribble (not just one dribble unless maybe you are Shaq).

In regards to Gabby replacing Kia in what circumstances has this happened and how often?

I don't know what you mean when you said "she has a 3 ball shot that arrives in big games that puts 2,3 or 4 3 ball shots when necessary."

And in regards to KLS - I want her to keep trying to knock down 3's.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Broadway!! You're back. I had assumed you had forsaken us. Hope you are well.

Reaction Score
Let me get this straight, she is going to shoot her way out of the slump from the bench? That would be a first!
A first maybe for you but they do it in baseball and in football. If you are not producing, then sit awhile until you get another chance to contribute. Is basketball an exception???

Reaction Score
You think she is going to get more rebounds vs USC? Maybe. But because she is so small maybe she'll struggle vs the elite teams that pose a threat to us like USC too. And you realize Nurse has a near 2-1 assists to turnover ratio while with Gabby it is 1 to 1, right? SO for one thing you can count on Nurse to pass the ball well. We don't know what we can count on with Gabby vs USC, do we? So when Nurse is in the game there is a better chance she'll get the ball in good positions for players like Stewie and Tuck while you propose less ball movement and propose to take away better shots for Stewie and Tuck. I say that because- I'll reiterate-- the assists vs turnovers Nurse is far superior.

So you want to limit touches for Stewie and Tuck, want less ball movement so you can watch Gabby get more offensive rebounds? There was a coach down in Tennessee who believed in less ball movement (not necessarily but never ran much of a creative offense) and pound the glass telling everyone rebounds wins titles - but later on when UCONN started to become a bigger threat she sought out greater offensive ball movement, right? So you want us to go backwards and not play the style of two guards that we've done for so many years while winning many titles and then call your method "thinking out of the box?" IMO your box has been closed and become obsolete for many years. No reason to open it.

It's not "thinking out of the box" when you are limiting chances of getting Stewie and Tuck the ball in winning positions. Gabby's 1-to-1 assists to turnover ratio doesn't help Stewie or Tuck as much as Nurse's near 2 to 1. And now that you have taken away our 2nd best ball-handler - you've hindered our fastbreak potential because we only have one "very good" ball handler that can pass well on the run in the open court. Now you've turned us into a more halfcourt team thereby we take less shots and are a lot less exciting for both fans and recruits. I'm sorry but the box you are proposing is completely the wrong size and the material extinct like the dinosaur.
I would not worry about USC right now until the game which then prove who is right but I will say that if Gabby is not afraid but box out a big then she will dominate the boards. The watch words are putting a body on a big, boxing them at the free throw line and making them work themselves under the board. This is take strength from them throughout the game, and IF Gabby is in superior conditioning then USC bigs will be winded in the 4th and Gabby will then dominate with ease!!! Bold statement but I have had undersized teams in superior conditioning and willingness to box out bigs, and it has worked the majority of times. Poor shooting in the ones that we lost.

Reaction Score
Yes, tinker with the chemistry of this team that is on a 50+ game win streak, soon to be 60+. Wait, don't do that until right before you play Baylor in the National Championship game.
I like that you think Baylor will be in the NC game. But will you bet your house they will be there???

Reaction Score
I did read the article. Did you read my comment? I stand by my comment: A player cannot improve shooting percentage ( shoot their way out of a shooting slump) from the bench. Of course a player should be a good teammate by paying attention and cheering for teammates while they are on the bench.
I don't think you got the full understanding of the article, I state respectfully. What does paying attention do for the player - does it help mentally or just physically or both? Does at the mental help improve the physical? Is there a connection between the mental and the physical?

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
I like that you think Baylor will be in the NC game. But will you bet your house they will be there???
As strawman arguments go, this is an insult to scarecrows everywhere. Who in their wrong mind, much less their right mind, would bet their house on any team, on Jan. 31, making the NC game. Way too much time for ailment, illness, and injury, not to mention we are talking 18-22 year-olds here. That doesn't mean that there aren't clear trends and likelihoods in play - but, opinion doesn't measure up to 6-figure bets.

Reaction Score
In one post you say you that you want to reduce MoJeff's minutes yet in another you use MoJeff in a clear example of how she will be so vital in breaking the press. You can't have it both ways. If you have KLS as your pg (which imo is absolutely crazy) and Collier as your sg - then MoJeff isn't in the game, right? Anyhow with no MoJeff and with your proposal- the other team doesn't NEED to force a turnover. They press to slow the game down then sit back in a zone after the press.

So initially on this thread you wanted more shot opportunities. Now you want to further slow the game down? So we have the most talented team in the country and your philosophy is to slow the game down because you want a more equal opportunity minute distribution? Do you realize that is opposite of what you had 1st said about wanting more shots? Now you will keep scores lower -- while you are giving our stars less opportunities to shoot. So you think that will also help future recruiting? You think stars love to play slower and have less opportunities to shoot? The big posts do but many of these same players realize if they want pro aspirations they had better get used to running. At UCONN many have pro aspirations.

*I can see in blowouts using KLS/Collier and Gabby at the 2/3/4 positions in very, very, very very, very , very limited time - and next year if all three improve their outside shooting and further improve their ball-handling and passing-- then sure. But they need to be much more improved. Right now this wouldn't be a title winning grouping. No reason to play this lineup this year other than maybe minor/mop-up minutes. The idea this year is still to win a championship though while trying to play better. This lineup would never be used vs an elite team unless we have injuries or blow them out. The idea is for the team to win a title. Not worry as much about minuet distribution. I was surprised he only played 15 minutes of Gabby last game. But that isn't what got this thread all started. It was to bench Nurse. Maybe he will if she keeps throwing up bricks. But overall UCONN is a much better team if they have guards MoJeff and Kia Nurse running the ball down the other team's throat.

***AND for those of you knocking KLS's 3pt attempts - I agree that maybe she could reduce a couple- but more than that are we talking out of 2 sides of the mouth? In part the idea when we play these much lesser teams with no hope to win is for UCONN to work on things that will make us better/ make us even more unbeatable. Even Geno has said he is concerned in NCAA's going against very good 3pt shooting teams while his team isn't shooting well. SO why wouldn't we want to see KLS keep shooting in these games we know the other team has no chance? Her history is that she IS a 3point shooter. Isn't it best she keep working that part of her game during these blowouts?

Reaction Score

But you can have it BOTH WAYS - they call it situational substitution. Also I don't see Kia bringing up the ball a lot of the times like Mo - I could be wrong and apologize if I am.

Reaction Score
As crazy as it might sound and it is - drop MoJeff minutes by 3-5 minutes, insert Collier and Katie to bring the ball against AAC competition, leave MoJeff in for 40 minutes against SC then drop her minutes along

All UCONN would need is MoJeff and 6'3" Katie to dribble then pass to each other until they get to the half court line then pass to the other 3 near our basketball without dribbling too much. Passing is one of our best assets. Press broken!
Sorry I would like to complete my sentence that I forgot to complete:
As crazy as it might sound and it is - drop MoJeff minutes by 3-5 minutes, insert Collier and Katie to bring the ball against AAC competition, leave MoJeff in for 40 minutes against SC then drop her minutes until tournament time then play her 40 minutes on rested legs and increased stamina. In blowouts limit Stewie to a full a half a game unless it is a close game so she will also be well rested to capture #11!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Sorry I would like to complete my sentence that I forgot to complete:
As crazy as it might sound and it is - drop MoJeff minutes by 3-5 minutes, insert Collier and Katie to bring the ball against AAC competition, leave MoJeff in for 40 minutes against SC then drop her minutes until tournament time then play her 40 minutes on rested legs and increased stamina. In blowouts limit Stewie to a full a half a game unless it is a close game so she will also be well rested to capture #11!
You could have just stopped at the bolded part and you would probably get universal agreement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom