Replace Kia in the starting lineup with ........ | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Replace Kia in the starting lineup with ........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nurse just needs to jack-up more 3's. She's such a great shooter. ;-)

Hope I didn't hurt anyone's sensibilities or feelings. Just callin' it liked it is.
While I'm watching, wish Collier could make a lay-up. Remember how frustrating it was watching Charles shoot lay-ups as a freshman? Those poor backboards.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Nurse just needs to jack-up more 3's. She's such a great shooter. ;-)

Hope I didn't hurt anyone's sensibilities or feelings. Just callin' it liked it is.
While I'm watching, wish Collier could make a lay-up. Remember how frustrating it was watching Charles shoot lay-ups as a freshman? Those poor backboards.
Thanks for your contribution.

Reaction Score
Sorry. I forgot. Thou shall not criticize the king and his court. :)

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I love how some people can find fault with a team that's on the third-longest winning streak ever. It's unbelievable. I'm not saying they are perfect, but geez, the nitpicking on here is unreal. I'm sure tons of teams would love to have Kia Nurse's shooting. Or Collier at all, for that matter.

Reaction Score
UCONN hasn't lost a game since Kia entered the starting lineup. Enough said. If you fail to see her on-court contributions then you're not watching closely enough....or you've simply decided your favorite is being short-changed and should have her minutes.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
The OP has asserted that he is a man of strong faith. I suggest he aim some of it toward Geno's coaching judgment. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
2 things and I've had my fun:why even have a forum if everyone wears the same rose-colored glasses; and 2, with a team as good as uconn and virtually everyone on it, one has to nitpick to create any excitement(I think there's a well known fairly successful coach who does something similar to help his players become the best they can).

Reaction Score
2 things and I've had my fun:why even have a forum if everyone wears the same rose-colored glasses; and 2, with a team as good as uconn and virtually everyone on it, one has to nitpick to create any excitement(I think there's a well known fairly successful coach who does something similar to help his players become the best they can).

Why do posters like you get so defensive? Why does everyone have to agree with you? Or talk about only what you want to talk about? I don't get why you feel a need to define what is fun in a forum.

And could you explain why there shouldn't be so many rose-colored glasses? Because you say-so?

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Well, A) it's a fan forum, so yes, we are mostly fans

and B) Uconn hasn't lost since Kia has started, hence the rose colored glasses. Things look pretty rosy with our starting five right now.

Reaction Score
Because we are UCONN. We have Geno. Geno is not in the habit of changing the starting line up based on the opponent. His philosophy is to be balanced enough that if a team wants to go small 4 guards then our bigs- ( regardless of how many start) have got to be able to take advantage of that. We like the box Geno has put us in!
It has worked so far!

Reaction Score
Yes, Geno's approach hasn't worked at all. Definitely time to change. Let's go with a mismatched starting five instead

Makes no sense at all.
Makes no sense to you. Yes Geno has been successful - can't argue with that and like it very much. But if YOU have NOT tried it then what facts do you have to form a good decision, unless it is a personal BIASED one that you have presented (but don't take this as a negative statement against you but just realize that others do have opinions which are to be respected). Remember we all here are not getting paid to do this, just having fun - hopefully!

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I'm surprised Geno hasn't figured this out yet- imagine how many more NC's he would have if he thought outside the box- like you???
Don't judge a book by its cover O Wise One - for the person you judge might be a person who is very successful in their profession thinking outside of the box! Maybe he would have won more in a row like John Wooden or the Red of the Celtics

Reaction Score
You think she is going to get more rebounds vs USC? Maybe. But because she is so small maybe she'll struggle vs the elite teams that pose a threat to us like USC too. And you realize Nurse has a near 2-1 assists to turnover ratio while with Gabby it is 1 to 1, right? SO for one thing you can count on Nurse to pass the ball well. We don't know what we can count on with Gabby vs USC, do we? So when Nurse is in the game there is a better chance she'll get the ball in good positions for players like Stewie and Tuck while you propose less ball movement and propose to take away better shots for Stewie and Tuck. I say that because- I'll reiterate-- the assists vs turnovers Nurse is far superior.

So you want to limit touches for Stewie and Tuck, want less ball movement so you can watch Gabby get more offensive rebounds? There was a coach down in Tennessee who believed in less ball movement (not necessarily but never ran much of a creative offense) and pound the glass telling everyone rebounds wins titles - but later on when UCONN started to become a bigger threat she sought out greater offensive ball movement, right? So you want us to go backwards and not play the style of two guards that we've done for so many years while winning many titles and then call your method "thinking out of the box?" IMO your box has been closed and become obsolete for many years. No reason to open it.

It's not "thinking out of the box" when you are limiting chances of getting Stewie and Tuck the ball in winning positions. Gabby's 1-to-1 assists to turnover ratio doesn't help Stewie or Tuck as much as Nurse's near 2 to 1. And now that you have taken away our 2nd best ball-handler - you've hindered our fastbreak potential because we only have one "very good" ball handler that can pass well on the run in the open court. Now you've turned us into a more halfcourt team thereby we take less shots and are a lot less exciting for both fans and recruits. I'm sorry but the box you are proposing is completely the wrong size and the material extinct like the dinosaur.

Reaction Score
You think she is going to get more rebounds vs USC? Maybe. But because she is so small maybe she'll struggle vs the elite teams that pose a threat to us like USC too. And you realize Nurse has a near 2-1 assists to turnover ratio while with Gabby it is 1 to 1, right? SO for one thing you can count on Nurse to pass the ball well. We don't know what we can count on with Gabby vs USC, do we? So when Nurse is in the game there is a better chance she'll get the ball in good positions for players like Stewie and Tuck while you propose less ball movement and propose to take away better shots for Stewie and Tuck. I say that because- I'll reiterate-- the assists vs turnovers Nurse is far superior.

So you want to limit touches for Stewie and Tuck, want less ball movement so you can watch Gabby get more offensive rebounds? There was a coach down in Tennessee who believed in less ball movement (not necessarily but never ran much of a creative offense) and pound the glass telling everyone rebounds wins titles - but later on when UCONN started to become a bigger threat she sought out greater offensive ball movement, right? So you want us to go backwards and not play the style of two guards that we've done for so many years while winning many titles and then call your method "thinking out of the box?" IMO your box has been closed and become obsolete for many years. No reason to open it.

It's not "thinking out of the box" when you are limiting chances of getting Stewie and Tuck the ball in winning positions. Gabby's 1-to-1 assists to turnover ratio doesn't help Stewie or Tuck as much as Nurse's near 2 to 1. And now that you have taken away our 2nd best ball-handler - you've hindered our fastbreak potential because we only have one "very good" ball handler that can pass well on the run in the open court. Now you've turned us into a more halfcourt team thereby we take less shots and are a lot less exciting for both fans and recruits. I'm sorry but the box you are proposing is completely the wrong size and the material extinct like the dinosaur.
You have a very good point and I appreciate the tone and style of writing in which you presented your view. Thank you

Reaction Score
Don't judge a book by its cover O Wise One - for the person you judge might be a person who is very successful in their profession thinking outside of the box! Maybe he would have won more in a row like John Wooden or the Red of the Celtics
Now we entering the land of ridiculousness. Geno has used many different combinations, maybe not the one you like. Differing opinions are good for conversation but like a bad joke, if you have to explain your opinion multiple times, it was bad.

Reaction Score
I like your analysis and solid reasoning
The SC game will see if we can box out the bigs so they can't dominate the boards, keep them from stacking the middle with ball movement side to side. BOX OUT is the key, don't take your eyes off the bigs when you under the basket, start boxing them out from the foul line and make them fight their way under the basketball. This will use up a lot of their energy so that their shots will fall short beginning the middle of the 3rd quarter. Rotate Big Natalie, Gabby, Tuck and Collier like the Dayton coach used on us in his game against us, and let these 4 bang the SC bigs. But it is easier to play good BIGS then good GUARDS

Reaction Score
Stewie is as good a leader as any player to ever EVER EVER wear a UCONN uniform. If you really want to go there and compare her to DT just remember Freshmen DT came up short in the game previously referenced. Freshmen Stewie ripped the heart out of a Diggins ND team and ND has still not recovered almost 4 years later.
You make a very good point

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Stewie is as good a leader as any player to ever EVER EVER wear a UCONN uniform. If you really want to go there and compare her to DT just remember Freshmen DT came up short in the game previously referenced. Freshmen Stewie ripped the heart out of a Diggins ND team and ND has still not recovered almost 4 years later.
Coco - don't usually disagree on these types of things and I think Stewart compares very well to both DT and Maya, but ...
I don't think Stewart is the type of 'leader' that either of those two players were or that Morgan and Moriah are on the current team. I think it is a question of how much you need to put on a players shoulders, and with Stef and Bria and Morgan and Moriah there was no reason to push Stewart to take on those responsibilities as well. With DT and Maya the first two years of their careers there was no need either with Sue et al, and Rene around. But in their last two years there was no one else, and they already tended in that direction anyway.
Stewart leads with her skill on the court but has been allowed to defer more of the team responsibility because Morgan is a natural, and Moriah by position is as well. You saw that dynamic play out in the U19 team as well where Morgan was appointed captain by the coach to lessen the burden on Stewart.
Not saying Stewart isn't capable and hasn't taken a part in the leadership, just that it is a lesser responsibility for her than for others.

Reaction Score
Whose minutes will you drop? Gabby is getting close to 20 right now at 19.6.
As crazy as it might sound and it is - drop MoJeff minutes by 3-5 minutes, insert Collier and Katie to bring the ball against AAC competition, leave MoJeff in for 40 minutes against SC then drop her minutes along
If UConn went with that lineup, opponents would press the heck out of them trying to take advantage of the lack of ball handlers. Forwards can also have a hard time guarding guards on the perimeter as quicker ones can go right by them for a pull up jumper or drive to the hoops.
All UCONN would need is MoJeff and 6'3" Katie to dribble then pass to each other until they get to the half court line then pass to the other 3 near our basketball without dribbling too much. Passing is one of our best assets. Press broken!

Reaction Score
As crazy as it might sound and it is - drop MoJeff minutes by 3-5 minutes, insert Collier and Katie to bring the ball against AAC competition, leave MoJeff in for 40 minutes against SC then drop her minutes along

All UCONN would need is MoJeff and 6'3" Katie to dribble then pass to each other until they get to the half court line then pass to the other 3 near our basketball without dribbling too much. Passing is one of our best assets. Press broken!
No the guards would be met by the bigs near the basket, just like they were in the last game - that is team defense at its best.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
If you've bothered to read other threads you'll know people can, and do, criticize the team and Geno. I must say, though, that your admission that you're having fun by deliberately raising the hackles of fan makes you, by definition, a troll. People tend to treat trolls with some hostility.

Reaction Score
Let me get this straight, she is going to shoot her way out of the slump from the bench? That would be a first!
Did you read that wonderful article on Kia today on SNY website -
Williams making noise on, off the court
Here are 2 quotes from Geno himself:

"That's the hardest thing for players today to do, actually be in the game when they are sitting on the bench," Auriemma said.

Also he said: “Be in the game when you're sitting there because that will help you be better when you actually get in the game. Gabby understands that now."

So CocoHusky - This is strictly for YOU: Yes, you can improve your game by sitting on the bench - whether placed there by your poor playing or getting your rest, as long as you take advantage of the time on the bench, and not just sit there mentally empty.

Here are more fragmented statements from the article:
But, unlike last year, she's getting the job done in the early stages instead of when victory is secure.

And I'm doing more things when it matters, when the game could be decided.

I'm very vocal off the court," Williams said. "I try to have a lot of energy and it was a matter of me bringing it to the court."

you have to trust the coaches. It's like when they changed my position. I wasn't necessarily happy to be a forward. But look where I am now."

Auriemma said. "What sets her apart from everyone else is her explosiveness, her ability to just instinctively make plays.

So CoCoHusky, a good benching warming for anyone will improve their game, if taken advantage of. Also after your benching the fire inside of you should be so hot that you will work after practice that half hour more, get up earlier to run,etc and do all the other things like shoot, shoot, shoot to be better.

BTW:
from the article again:
On the season, Williams is averaging 9.8 points and 6.3 rebounds in 19.4 minutes. She leads the AAC in field-goal percentage (61.9)

There is also a rant by the Wisconsin coach that I saw on the boneyard yesterday where she says that players should get their butts in the gym!!!

Gabby has surely done that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin