OT: - Realignment? | Page 37 | The Boneyard

OT: Realignment?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It's "are" home if you enjoy being a bully in a midmajor conference. UConn should be dominating in every sport in the Big East. UConn I believe would leap at an invite to the ACC now or in the future. Independence in football is a great experiment but conference affiliation is basically required for success. Independence in football for UConn is a necessary evil at this point, but cannot be sustained.

I think the nature of realignment is going to change dramatically in the next couple of years.

I would not be shocked to see the Big 10 acquire the entire Pac 12, and the Big 10, ACC or SEC do the same with the Big East. Streaming needs content, and NIL is going to change which programs are valuable and can compete at the highest level. The corporate sponsorship and non-alumni booster community available in big cities make the Big East programs valuable. A third tier academic, rural university like Mississippi State has a more questionable value proposition.

I think there is a good chance that the majors to merge up into two.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I think the nature of realignment is going to change dramatically in the next couple of years.

I would not be shocked to see the Big 10 acquire the entire Pac 12, and the Big 10, ACC or SEC do the same with the Big East. Streaming needs content, and NIL is going to change which programs are valuable and can compete at the highest level. The corporate sponsorship and non-alumni booster community available in big cities make the Big East programs valuable. A third tier academic, rural university like Mississippi State has a more questionable value proposition.

I think there is a good chance that the majors to merge up into two.

I largely agree - but I think the conferences don’t necessarily merge, but they align to create more content under one umbrella in order to compete in our streaming future. And to organize the alignment and manage the content they partner with Fox or some other media company (Hulu? peacock?amazon?).

Reaction Score
In Florida...the athletic departments of the University of Florida, FSU, and UCF...are now incorporated as DSO's...Direct Service Organizations.

At FSU, the athletics department is renamed The Florida State University Athletic Association uniting Seminole Boosters, Inc and the athletic department.

“It’s a shift away from that traditional model of a university running a college sports program centrally as part of the educational process to something that is more consistent with modern college sports,” Rapp told The Athletic. “It’s big business, and this is part of the university’s business interest.

The move to the AD being incorporated as a DSO essentially removes layers of state bureacracy from processes.

“So why do we want to go through the layers of bureaucracy, board committees on finance and property acquisition, full board meetings,
etc. ?

Every time we want to make a business move, we’re constrained to operate like a slow-moving state bureaucracy, but what we are is a multi-million or -billion dollar business, and we want to be able to move at the speed that that requires. Florida State hasn’t done anything wrong in making this move.”

Under Florida Statutes, as a DSO, the FSUAA receives a public records exemption and public meetings exemption. FSUAA donors can retain anonymity even in the required annual financial audit of its accounts and records.

“Even though they have state-level liability protections, they’re a layer removed from the public eye in terms of their obligation to produce documents, open meetings laws and things like that,” Rapp said. “I think that is probably not the motivating factor, but it’s certainly an added benefit for FSU in making a move like this.”

Reaction Score
Other schools have gone to this arrangement...at Georgia, it is the University of Georgia Athletic Association.

Reaction Score
I’m not so sure Uconn should accept a acc invite… I can see ND bolting to the big 10 with all the money they are getting with the next tv deal…if that happens the better teams in the acc will be trying to get in the sec.. could be a dumpster fire… the big east tv contract is coming up.. I think we will see a big increase in money with the uconn add and also the conference is going to be very good next year…are football team might start playing better with are new coach… that tv contract is also expiring…maybe we will get more there also
The ACC will look more and more like the old Big East, and then it will merge with the new Big East, and we will have come full circle. That is the sound of inevitability.

Reaction Score
I don’t think we will get $10 million either… I just want enough so we can compete ..I just love uconn in the big east, I feel like it’s are home
You realize the new big 10 and sec deals are for north of 100 million per school per year?

Reaction Score
Even baseball coaches like Link Jarrett are now inking contracts worth $ 1 million per year.

Ohio State has just signed four top wide receivers and is #2 in 2023 team rankings while their coach declares it will take $13 million a year to maintain a roster.

The increased cost to be nationally competitive just solidifies the divide between $$$ programs and $ programs

Reaction Score
When your 19 year old QB gets his choice of 200k vehicles -you know that it's an arms race that won't stop
10 years ago a University couldn't give a kid a bicycle..,....without being put on probation

Reaction Score
I realize we can’t complete against the big 10 and sec with their tv deal but the acc schools are getting 17million per school ..maybe we can get close to 10 million and a few million with are football deal… and with schools like bc and SU which are in the north playing southern schools which require a lot of travel the cap isn’t to much

Reaction Score
I realize we can’t complete against the big 10 and sec with their tv deal but the acc schools are getting 17million per school ..maybe we can get close to 10 million and a few million with are football deal… and with schools like bc and SU which are in the north playing southern schools which require a lot of travel the cap isn’t to much

Might want to check your math….

The ACC’s per-school payouts for 2021 were between $35 and $38 million, putting the league well ahead of the Pac-12, on par with the Big 12, but still well behind the SEC and Big Ten.”

Reaction Score
People who say they want to stay in the New Big East are, for all intents and purposes, saying they want to go back to the Yankee Conference. That’s fine. Just realize it for what it is. We can have nationally relevant programs in womens basketball, maybe, though I wouldn’t bet the house on it now that major programs are focusing on it, and mens hockey like BU, UNH, Maine and such.

Reaction Score
I think they tv contract is 17 million… didn’t know they overall payment

The ACC was boosted by the second year of the ACC Network, the ESPN channel that launched in 2019 and was closer to full distribution in 2020-21 than it had been during its debut year. The conference reported $397,411,225 in television revenue for this fiscal year, up 20 percent from last year.

Reaction Score
The ACC was boosted by the second year of the ACC Network, the ESPN channel that launched in 2019 and was closer to full distribution in 2020-21 than it had been during its debut year. The conference reported $397,411,225 in television revenue for this fiscal year, up 20 percent from last year.
Wow…I stand corrected…we ain’t getting that kind of money ☹️

Reaction Score
People who say they want to stay in the New Big East are, for all intents and purposes, saying they want to go back to the Yankee Conference. That’s fine. Just realize it for what it is. We can have nationally relevant programs in womens basketball, maybe, though I wouldn’t bet the house on it now that major programs are focusing on it, and mens hockey like BU, UNH, Maine and such.
Exactly

Reaction Score
I much prefer playing the teams in the big east… we have history with them and a bus ride away… we are not getting a invite in the acc unless some of the conference schools start leaving…. Then we will be in the same position we where in when we where in the big east

Reaction Score
I much prefer playing the teams in the big east… we have history with them and a bus ride away… we are not getting a invite in the acc unless some of the conference schools start leaving…. Then we will be in the same position we where in when we where in the big east
The old big east

Reaction Score
The big east is
One of the best conferences in the country… theYankee conference certainly wasn’t

Reaction Score
The big east is
One of the best basketball conferences in the country… theYankee conference certainly wasn’t

FIFY

....In terms of conference realignment, I don't see teams (outside of maybe UCONN) that would be of interest to the B1G, ACC, SEC, Big 12...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

You have convinced me. UConn should join the Big 10.

Now back in reality, the Big East bashers would have left us in the ACC with ECU, North Texas, whatever other detritus is in that league. It would have been a death sentence for our athletic program. Staying in the AAC as long as UConn did may have turned out to be a death sentence anyway for the football program. It was the stupidest decision any school made in realignment.

Reaction Score
I like your post, but those with the benjamins will outlast those without. Not many midmajors go on to win championships. Other than Villanova and UConn in men's basketball, I can't recall any in the past twenty years, and I believe it will only become more difficult as the rules for athletes.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I like your post, but those with the benjamins will outlast those without. Not many midmajors go on to win championships. Other than Villanova and UConn in men's basketball, I can't recall any in the past twenty years, and I believe it will only become more difficult as the rules for athletes.
Midmajor? Lol.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Bizarre logic

You think the Big East of Syracuse, Rutgers, UConn, Pitt, WVU, Louisville, Cincinnati and USF would have been a BCS conference without the lawsuit? If you do, you should stop posting on this topic.

Reaction Score
You and dickie must be the only 2 individuals who walk around proclaiming he preserved bcs status for a few years for the BE and getting that in exchange for a potential lifetime ban from the big boys club was a good thing.

I’m still trying to understand BCS tie to BB championships but I’m sure you and dickie will set us straight as u continue to revise the facts.

Reaction Score
True the local fans put 19,000 into MSG to watch the BE tournament....

But...the glitch is TV viewership...the BE Final was watched by less than 50% of the numbers put up by the Big Ten, ACC, SEC, and Big 12

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom