OT: - Realignment? | Page 35 | The Boneyard

OT: Realignment?

Reaction Score
A little off topic but I fully believe in the next 5-8 years the B1G will raid the ACC for UNC and UVA. UConn and WVU will be the replacements.
Are we sure UNC and UVA will want to leave the ACC. I could see Georgia Tech, Miami, Florida State, Clemson maybe bolting for the B10 or the SEC. I think UConn will be invited to the ACC or perhaps the B10 in this decade if the football team gets cleaned up.

Reaction Score
I don't know. Fickell and Cincy have some serious momentum right now. His abilities to identify and develop players coupled with the level of guys he's got rolling in now, and he has them where he says he wanted and that was being a top 10 program. I don't think the new coaches at Texas(Sark) and Oklahoma(Venables) are as good at developing kids as he is, and let's face it nothing takes the steam out of a program like facing an SEC schedule. I get a kick out of the Dude of WV talking about the SEC. Cincy is moving past them and it's evident in recruiting. WV getting an impact kid out of Ohio is a thing of the past. Fickell is almost done with his 23 class in June.

Fickell is a great coach, but Texas and Oklahoma are brands in this country that networks etc are willing to pay for. You can’t say that about Cincinnati

Reaction Score
Fickell is a great coach, but Texas and Oklahoma are brands in this country that networks etc are willing to pay for. You can’t say that about Cincinnati
Fickell was rumored to want the Notre Dame job this past year, but it did not open up and I think he would move to a top Big 10 job or Notre Dame if they open up. Although the Big 12 is a step up from the AAC, Cincinnati is a geographical outlier and that will hurt Cincy over time. And, Cincy benefitted from a down AAC in 2021. The Big 12 is a much tougher conference and Cincy will experience more losses.

Reaction Score
Fickell was rumored to want the Notre Dame job this past year, but it did not open up and I think he would move to a top Big 10 job or Notre Dame if they open up. Although the Big 12 is a step up from the AAC, Cincinnati is a geographical outlier and that will hurt Cincy over time. And, Cincy benefitted from a down AAC in 2021. The Big 12 is a much tougher conference and Cincy will experience more losses.
Notre Dame was literally open. Freeman got the job as Fickell declined to interview.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame was literally open. Freeman got the job as Fickell declined to interview.
Not what I heard. He wanted it, but Freeman was the choice as they were able to keep both the DC, Freeman, and the OC, Tommy Rees.

Reaction Score
Not what I heard. He wanted it, but Freeman was the choice as they were able to keep both the DC, Freeman, and the OC, Tommy Rees.
Regardless of the details on the notre dame job I would agree with you that this is probably not his last stop as a coach, and when he leaves the program will not likely take a step back.

Reaction Score
ND is really high on Marcus Freeman. He has ND recruiting at #1 for 2023 and #2 for 2024.

He is 36 years old and a dynamite recruiter. ND didn't want to fool around and lose him to someone else.

ND was hoping for stability and saving the 2022 recruiting class after Kelly left.

Fickell's team was in the playoffs and ND pulled the trigger on Freeman rather than wait for Fickell.

Reaction Score
ND is really high on Marcus Freeman. He has ND recruiting at #1 for 2023 and #2 for 2024.

He is 36 years old and a dynamite recruiter. ND didn't want to fool around and lose him to someone else.

ND was hoping for stability and saving the 2022 recruiting class after Kelly left.

Fickell's team was in the playoffs and ND pulled the trigger on Freeman rather than wait for Fickell.
The IBM of college sports speaks

Reaction Score
Ohio State will be fairly dominant.... their QB recruit driving a free $150,000 Bentley and given a million plus...is a sign of how they will have talent.

Reaction Score
Ohio State will be fairly dominant.... their QB recruit driving a free $150,000 Bentley and given a million plus...is a sign of how they will have talent.
He decided the 150k Bentley wasn't good enough so he opted for a 200k Mercedes instead

Reaction Score
We'll see how high ND's Fans are on Freeman after they visit Columbus Ohio...
I’m not sure there weren‘t a couple of worried looks passed among Irish fans in the second half of the Fiesta Bowl.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure there weren‘t a couple of worried looks passed among Irish fans in the second half of the Fiesta Bowl.
They should be worried. Day's not going to call the dogs off until he's done making a statement in what will be the day's most watched game. It could get out of hand if ND doesn't come ready to play.

Reaction Score
At those rates he better deliver or he’ll find himself driving a Yugo in Akron next year. I’m with those who 5hink the NIL stuff is out of hand and is going to eventually lead to its own demise. Most players aren’t as good as they appear coming out of high school, and if most donors won’t want to pay a kid to redshirt or be a b@ckup. Gonna be a mess.

Reaction Score
OMG...a new thought...the NIL is out of hand.
I thought you were a big NIL fan. Funny thing is all this NIL stuff relies on outside sources to make the payments. The argument has always been schools and coaches make millions while players get nothing ( though one could argue $40-60,000/ year plus the opportunity to get a college degree AND be trained for the NFL/NBA/NHL etc ain’t exactly nothing). Now players get money, but the schools and coaches still get their millions. What a racket. One would hope they stop referring to student athletes pretty soon.

Oh, as an aside, apparently high school players are now being offered NIL payment in some places to attend particular high schools. LOL. Education is the priority, of course.

Reaction Score
How would you think that I was a big NIL fan...I think that you made an assumption without evidence.

Reaction Score
The New York Times, using somewhat dated data from 2019-20, FWIW, agrees with you:

NYTimes College Fanbases 1.png
NYTimes College Fanbases 6.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't have a lot of faith in these "estimates." TV ratings completely disagree with them. BC has 3x the fanbase as Cincinnati and 2x Baylor? Yeah freaking right. BYU is laughably low as well. The methodology is based heavily on revenue. Being in P5 conference does not automatically make you have a bigger fan base, but it does get you a ton more TV revenue. And who cares how big the alleged fanbase is? What matters is how many people tune in to watch your games.

BC had 1 game (1.2M) that drew 1M viewers last year. No other drew even 500k. Cincinnati had 8 games over 1M including 4 over 2M. Who's more valuable? Pretty obvious. BYU had 6 games over 1M viewers. This chart means little when it comes to TV value.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
https://theathletic.com/news/george-kliavkoff-college-football-ncaa-governance/FJGzwxGUENIX/?source=twitterhq…
George Kliavkoff (Pac-12 commissioner) talking about how he thinks more than five conferences should govern football but less than 32 should govern basketball. That to me makes me think he is planning a breakaway with about 150 schools (football or not) that will be pay for play.

Who I think makes the cut:
SEC
B1G
Pac-12
ACC
Big 12
Big East
Atlantic 10
Mountain West
WCC
American

There would be 130 basketball schools (assuming Hawaii joins the MW for all sports) and 98 football schools.
They could keep the 64-team March Madness format and even bluff their way into staying in the NCAA and continuing to be called Division 1 while every other team moves down a division.
Each conference could have three auto bids in the tourney and then there would be 34 at-large spots left for the six major leagues to add to.

The conferences would likely all have at least 20-22 game schedules.

Football would have a 12-team playoff. Army and Navy would get a waiver to play Division 1 football with the rest of the sports in Division 2, and the current FCS football programs in basketball leagues (Big East, A-10, WCC) would play Division 2 football if they so choose.

Division 1 revenue sports (m/w basketball, football) would be pay for play.

Reaction Score
https://theathletic.com/news/george-kliavkoff-college-football-ncaa-governance/FJGzwxGUENIX/?source=twitterhq…
George Kliavkoff (Pac-12 commissioner) talking about how he thinks more than five conferences should govern football but less than 32 should govern basketball. That to me makes me think he is planning a breakaway with about 150 schools (football or not) that will be pay for play.

Who I think makes the cut:
SEC
B1G
Pac-12
ACC
Big 12
Big East
Atlantic 10
Mountain West
WCC
American

There would be 130 basketball schools (assuming Hawaii joins the MW for all sports) and 98 football schools.
They could keep the 64-team March Madness format and even bluff their way into staying in the NCAA and continuing to be called Division 1 while every other team moves down a division.
Each conference could have three auto bids in the tourney and then there would be 34 at-large spots left for the six major leagues to add to.

The conferences would likely all have at least 20-22 game schedules.

Football would have a 12-team playoff. Army and Navy would get a waiver to play Division 1 football with the rest of the sports in Division 2, and the current FCS football programs in basketball leagues (Big East, A-10, WCC) would play Division 2 football if they so choose.

Division 1 revenue sports (m/w basketball, football) would be pay for play.
This seems directionally correct/plausible. One would think UConn will have to negotiate their way into the breakaway P5+) football level along with Army and Navy.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
This seems directionally correct/plausible. One would think UConn will have to negotiate their way into the breakaway P5+) football level along with Army and Navy.
UConn, UMass, and Army would get to stay Division 1.

Reaction Score
I have determined that the entire concept of "conference realignment" is meaningless, including the misnomer in the first place. 10 plus years of this nonsense and going strong. B1G, SEC, what else. We've got the Big East and Coach Jim Mora.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score

I have been told by some people pretty high up/knowledgeable with this situation mess that the "P5" have a problem if UConn is left out of any breakway because of women's basketball and Title IX. The optics would look terrible (assumes the split will include basketball(s)), and might be basis for a lawsuit or anti-trust violation.

I'd also assume it would be tough to leave Army, Navy and Air Force out for patriotic reasons.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom