OT: - Realignment? | Page 33 | The Boneyard

OT: Realignment?

Hondo 77

The voice of reason
Reaction Score
AAC must have regrets about the way it treated UConn. Thank god the AAC treated UConn badly.
What regrets? Not having UConn as a football only member? Yea that sunk the conference.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What regrets? Not having UConn as a football only member? Yea that sunk the conference.
Would Cinci, Houston and UCF have left if UConn were still in the conference? Certainly it would have made if tougher for UCF to leave and give up a rivalry game.

Hondo 77

The voice of reason
Reaction Score
his point is they would gladly take UConn now over the likes of the po-dunk no-name schools they were just forced to add
Not without the basketball team. The football team is worthless.

Reaction Score
we werent a football only member and he didnt say theyd want us as one.

youre tilting at windmills.

Reaction Score
It’s hard to know how some of the smaller moves could change history. If AAC had allowed UConn football-only and had added Nova as football-only and JMU as a full member, then there would not have been a need to dilute with 6 CUSA schools after the B12 raid.

Temple would have a reasonable footprint with UConn, Nova, and JMU. With this latest round the old footprint has left Temple, and instead of them being central they are an outlier.

Reaction Score
Villanova might have been looked at back then as not really yet viable for FBS football competition...other than three wins against Temple..Nova is 1-19 against FBS...with that lone win coming against a 1-11 Rutgers.

Reaction Score
Villanova might have been looked at back then as not really yet viable for FBS football competition...other than three wins against Temple..Nova is 1-19 against FBS...with that lone win coming against a 1-11 Rutgers.
Nova football is right where they belong. Small private school which can facilitate basketball at a high level but not FBS.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It’s hard to know how some of the smaller moves could change history. If AAC had allowed UConn football-only and had added Nova as football-only and JMU as a full member, then there would not have been a need to dilute with 6 CUSA schools after the B12 raid.

Temple would have a reasonable footprint with UConn, Nova, and JMU. With this latest round the old footprint has left Temple, and instead of them being central they are an outlier.
if we are going to what if, one of mine is what if Villanova had upgraded their football when given in the chance in the old Big East? in all likelihood, the “C6“ doesn’t break off oh and the big east stays together in some format. I wouldn’t expect them to make P5 money, but I do suspect their media contract would be significantly more than the American.

Reaction Score
if we are going to what if, one of mine is what if Villanova had upgraded their football when given in the chance in the old Big East? in all likelihood, the “C6“ doesn’t break off oh and the big east stays together in some format. I wouldn’t expect them to make P5 money, but I do suspect their media contract would be significantly more than the American.
I believe in that What If.

If Nova moves up then the Tulane invite probably doesn’t happen. Nova is mostly to blame as they studied the invite until it was stale. WVU & Pitt blocked Nova in the end, which is interesting as Pitt knew at that time it was on its way out. Pitt played a troubling role in its last days with the Big East, scuttling the TV contract, blocking Nova, and then leaving.

Reaction Score
Nova football is right where they belong. Small private school which can facilitate basketball at a high level but not FBS.
It’s a choice to make. Certainly a good list of private power FBS teams…. ND, Baylor, USC, Northwestern, Stanford…

Not too many teams excel in both sports. We are thankful to have built a spot at the top of the basketball world.

Reaction Score
Have you been paying attention to what's going on with the AAC lately?

Reaction Score
Again, here are the teams that AAC just added.

• The University of Alabama at Birmingham – Birmingham, Alabama.
  • Florida Atlantic University – Boca Raton, Florida.
  • The University of North Carolina at Charlotte – Charlotte, North Carolina.
  • The University of North Texas – Denton, Texas.
  • Rice University – Houston, Texas.
  • UT San Antonio
This is problematic, to say the least. FAU is the only school in this list that adds a big school with good football. Otherwise it's 4 commuter schools and another that decided to get rid of football but added it back do to some political pressure.

This is just deadly for schools like South Florida, Memphis, Temple & East Carolina.

USF must be wondering what the hell happened between its days in the Big East and this.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
we werent a football only member and he didnt say theyd want us as one.

youre tilting at windmills.
You're right in the sense that, yes, I was referring to how they screwed UConn over badly when they took away our women's bball revenue while allowing other schools to keep revenue in other sports.

But I would also say that, yes, they could use UConn football as a football only now that they've added a bunch of schools that are questionable at best.

Reaction Score
You're right in the sense that, yes, I was referring to how they screwed UConn over badly when they took away our women's bball revenue while allowing other schools to keep revenue in other sports.

But I would also say that, yes, they could use UConn football as a football only now that they've added a bunch of schools that are questionable at best.
We got an additional $4,000,000 to $6,000,000 for 5 years by staying in the AAC
Not counting Media or BB credits
The women lost a $1,000,000
That we would have been asked by the C7 is not a given. Which still left FB homeless
So our choices were hang in or
A10? MAC ? Indy

Reaction Score
It’s a choice to make. Certainly a good list of private power FBS teams…. ND, Baylor, USC, Northwestern, Stanford…

Not too many teams excel in both sports. We are thankful to have built a spot at the top of the basketball world.
But it's not really a choice for Nova and certainly the private schools you listed have 2-5 times the enrollment and resources of Nova (only Notre Dame's is close and and we all know they're a different kind if cat entirely).

Reaction Score
But it's not really a choice for Nova and certainly the private schools you listed have 2-5 times the enrollment and resources of Nova (only Notre Dame's is close and and we all know they're a different kind if cat entirely).
Here’s more, major private programs with less than 10,000 undergrad
Boston College 9,100
TCU 8,700
Northwestern 8,400
Notre Dame 8,400
(vs Villanova @ 7,100)
Stanford 6,900
Vanderbilt 6,800
Duke 6,400
Wake Forest 4,100

You may also consider the service academies.

Reaction Score
Here’s more, major private programs with less than 10,000 undergrad
Boston College 9,100
TCU 8,700
Northwestern 8,400
Notre Dame 8,400
(vs Villanova @ 7,100)
Stanford 6,900
Vanderbilt 6,800
Duke 6,400
Wake Forest 4,100

You may also consider the service academies.

Reminds me of the puzzles...."which one of these doesn't belong ?"

Reaction Score
Huh? Stanford lists an enrollment of 16,900

That is the one that doen't belong....LOL...you were assuming Nova?

Reaction Score
Huh? Stanford lists an enrollment of 16,900

That is the one that doen't belong....LOL...you were assuming Nova?
I feel like you are trolling me, but I’ll respond anyway. Your quoted number is total enrollment, which would include grad students, med school, etc.

As noted, I referenced undergrad. Grad students are not typically engaged in the larger university culture / sports programs to anywhere near the undergrad level.

I thought you had a university admin background? This is basic.

Reaction Score
Well...I guess it really isn't Stanford that doesn't belong on that list...what program on that list doesn't compare ?

Maybe an FCS program ?

Reaction Score
Well...I guess it really isn't Stanford that doesn't belong on that list...what program on that list doesn't compare ?

Maybe an FCS program ?
You mean a lowly FCS program, like Jacksonville State? Be careful who you look down on!

That’s the comparison we are making, Billy, the FCS program Nova to current small private FBS programs.

Undefeated Wake is on that list. They should be
familiar to you.

Reaction Score
Nova doesn't compare at all...not to Wake, certainly. Nor any of the others.

Wake usually beats, in one season, more FBS programs than Villanova has in their history.

Nova might compare to Sam Houston State...nope, guess not since Sam Houston has 18,790 under grads...but they did just win the FCS Football Championship.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom