OT: - Realignment? | Page 12 | The Boneyard

OT: Realignment?

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Disney and Fox is in charge of all entertainment they decide what happens. These schools are just cogs in a system. If ESPN or FOX wanted to raise the profile of Big12 they could have but they didn’t want to for various reasons.

Reaction Score
ESPN owns the ACC Network. If they pony up a truck load of money for a supersized SEC and they decide that Clemson is more valuable to them there, Clemson will surely jump ship. ESPN is running court here.
The acc network and the acc are two different things though. why would the acc give away all that makes their conference a money maker. Strip the conference if it’s good football teams and what is espn giving the acc in the next round of negotiations?

Reaction Score
The acc network and the acc are two different things though. why would the acc give away all that makes their conference a money maker. Strip the conference if it’s good football teams and what is espn giving the acc in the next round of negotiations?
The ACC is giving anything away. ESPN is just going to take what is in their best interest for making the most money

Reaction Score

Big East proposed a sort of merger with the ACC right before ACC raided the Big East out of existence.

Why would SEC want to merge with the ACC? SEC just wait and take all of ACC's top properties like Clemson and FSU when they are able to do so once GOR is done or if ACC teams can figure out a way to get out of that GOR.

There is not a chance of hell Bama wants to share equal revenue with teams like BCU and Wake.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
If I see someone stealing my car, I would merely ask them if they would consider a merger of our interests instead.

Reaction Score
The ACC is giving anything away. ESPN is just going to take what is in their best interest for making the most money
And the ACCs interest and espns are not necessarily aligned on this topic. ESPN may be able to get more money by splitting up the league and focusing on a few teams. You think that aligns with the ACC’s vision for its leftover members and less prestigious standing?

Reaction Score
I see WVU to the ACC...

Reinstate rivalry games with VT, Pitt.

Reaction Score
West Virginia back to the Big East? How bout Kansas?
seriously the only thing West Va is worried about is football for obvious reasons
Why not the ACC
They allegedly were rejected by Tobacco Road as not up to academic standards .
Then they took Louisville a commuter school
Are colleges still concerned with academics ?
Kansas has a chance for the B1G .
The Big East is a basketball only conference only schools without viable football programs see that as a landing spot.
Frankly if either can hook up with a power conference
a meager with th3 top 5-6 teams in the AAC is more likely

Reaction Score
I see WVU to the ACC...

Reinstate rivalry games with VT, Pitt.
Will adding WVU make current ACC members more money? I doubt it.

I actually don't believe the ACC, PAC 12 or Big 10 will expand anytime soon (next couple years). Just don't believe there are realistic wealth enhancing options currently available to any of them. But who knows? :confused:

Reaction Score
With the SEC going to 16, and having a whole kettle full of matches that will draw eyeballs, I can see pressure on the ACC to nail down another team (or two) that will create watchable inventory.

WVU isn't a titan but there are no titans left in the east....WVU does offer decent football match ups....

If the ACC adds a team, it will open up the contract for renegotiation for whatever that is worth. If the ACC does offer, they will already have negotiated with ESPN. If WVU is not additive, no deal.

There is a little pressure. You snooze, you lose...as the Big 12 is finding out.

Wait and some desirable teams will reform under a GOR and not be available. The Big Ten reportably wanted Virginia and UNC some years back. They did not move and those programs are locked into 15 more years of a GOR...thus unavailable.

Reaction Score
L.M.A.O. yeah, that surely moves the needle. i am sure the folks at Clemson are pushing hard for this.

More than for Houston, Memphis, Tulsa, et al.

Who do you think moves tbe needle?

Reaction Score
Will adding WVU make current ACC members more money? I doubt it.

I actually don't believe the ACC, PAC 12 or Big 10 will expand anytime soon (next couple years). Just don't believe there are realistic wealth enhancing options currently available to any of them. But who knows? :confused:

I would tend to agree...under the old system of "markets"...but with the emphasis on creating matches for viewing...I don't know....WVU is a middle weight football brand...and with BC, Cuse, Wake, Duke on board...the ACC needs watchable match partners

The Backyard Brawl with Pitt and the VT match were rivalries....and...fer gawd's sake...with WVU maybe the ACC could realign and FSU wouldn't play BC and Cuse every year.

All we have to do is get enough people to say "we hereby waive the GOR" out loud three times. That's how contracts work.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I can't even understand what the conference talk outside the SEC is all about. The SEC just ended all discussion forever. It will get ALL the football players soon. Ole Miss and Tennessee will outrecruit Michigan very very soon. Clemson will be left holding its you know what. These top schools need to plan with the SEC now to create a superleague or they will get left behind. FranktheTank is whistling past the graveyard as he touts the B1Gs ticket package. What are the ratings going to be for a Michigan team that can't compete against the SEC playing let's say Illinois?

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
I can't even understand what the conference talk outside the SEC is all about. The SEC just ended all discussion forever. It will get ALL the football players soon. Ole Miss and Tennessee will outrecruit Michigan very very soon. Clemson will be left holding its you know what. These top schools need to plan with the SEC now to create a superleague or they will get left behind. FranktheTank is whistling past the graveyard as he touts the B1Gs ticket package. What are the ratings going to be for a Michigan team that can't compete against the SEC playing let's say Illinois?
Michigan already can't compete against SEC teams

Reaction Score
With the SEC going to 16, and having a whole kettle full of matches that will draw eyeballs, I can see pressure on the ACC to nail down another team (or two) that will create watchable inventory.

WVU isn't a titan but there are no titans left in the east....WVU does offer decent football match ups....

If the ACC adds a team, it will open up the contract for renegotiation for whatever that is worth. If the ACC does offer, they will already have negotiated with ESPN. If WVU is not additive, no deal.

There is a little pressure. You snooze, you lose...as the Big 12 is finding out.

Wait and some desirable teams will reform under a GOR and not be available. The Big Ten reportably wanted Virginia and UNC some years back. They did not move and those programs are locked into 15 more years of a GOR...thus unavailable.
WVU has done pretty well athletically, but they really don't move the needle financially. How do they create more value for the ACC to get a much larger media deal? They don't so why add another mouth to feed?

The ACC has made many mistakes in conference realignment as they should have offered Rutgers and UConn and created the ACC Network earlier which may have kept Maryland in the fold as the ACCN would have had NY/NJ/CT/MD/DC and been making money close to the Big 10 Network. Instead, the primary cable provider in the Boston area doesn't even carry the ACCN. That doesn't bode well for the value of BC in a streaming world. And, locking in a LT media contract when the viewing market was changing is looking like a colossal mistake.

This may sound crazy, but the ACC should look at cutting 1 or 2 schools that do not add to their media value instead of adding schools that don't add value. My guess is that their media contract would not change at all if they cut some of the low value teams and they could split the savings with the remaining ACC schools.

Reaction Score
UConnJim...

FSU guys agree with you....they loathe the ACC and the Carolina crew....and hate being stuck with Syracuse, BC, and Wake Forest in their division.

WVU is a lesser of Weevils.

All we have to do is get enough people to say "we hereby waive the GOR" out loud three times. That's how contracts work.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom