OT: - Realignment? | Page 11 | The Boneyard

OT: Realignment?

Reaction Score
I still think people are glossing over the GOR in the ACC. If any team were to leave the acc whatever money they made is supposed to still belong to the league until it expires. Don’t see how a simple 50 million dollar check can make that contract disappear.
If a spot opens up for you, you have to leave. Or you'll get left behind. That's the fear of ever team right now. They see the writing on the wall. It is however very hard to believe in a 20 league team. They are not going to freeze out USC, UCLA, Oregon, Wisconsin, Penn State, North Carolina. The league will need to be bigger than 20.

Reaction Score
Football is killing all the other sports. Best thing to do is remove football from the other leagues.

big 12 can play hoops as is, and football can be the SEC if they want.
It’s getting ridiculous that hoops, baseball, hockey and soccer is not being considered at all in any of this.

Reaction Score
If a spot opens up for you, you have to leave. Or you'll get left behind. That's the fear of ever team right now. They see the writing on the wall. It is however very hard to believe in a 20 league team. They are not going to freeze out USC, UCLA, Oregon, Wisconsin, Penn State, North Carolina. The league will need to be bigger than 20.
Washington, Arizona, Stanford, Clemson, Iowa, Florida State...that's not a league, that's just a collection of schools from all around the country with intents on freezing every other school out. There's going to be antitrust cases all over the country.

Reaction Score
Football is killing all the other sports. Best thing to do is remove football from the other leagues.

big 12 can play hoops as is, and football can be the SEC if they want.
It’s getting ridiculous that hoops, baseball, hockey and soccer is not being considered at all in any of this.
The greed is just insane, I fully expect them to try and abandon all non revenue and women's sports. These people aren't the geniuses they think they are.

Reaction Score

Where things stood in 2017. A lot that was predicted has come to pass.

takeaways:
1. Acc prob not playing musical chairs due to their GOR but The BIG10 and PAC12s tv deals both end in the next couple of years
2. traditional cable subscription numbers are continuing to decrease, so leagues will be less concerned about markets and would instead target members with large, passionate fan bases, willing to pay for streaming subscriptions to see their teams.
3. This would seem to make the Big12 refugees more attractive to the PAC and BIG10 because while they come from crap markets they pretty much all have rabid fan bases

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Washington, Arizona, Stanford, Clemson, Iowa, Florida State...that's not a league, that's just a collection of schools from all around the country with intents on freezing every other school out. There's going to be antitrust cases all over the country.
Clemson and FSU were already included in the 20. I just don't see how schools like UNC can get left behind.

Reaction Score
Clemson and FSU were already included in the 20. I just don't see how schools like UNC can get left behind.
Because they suck at Football. Nothing else matters. The better question is how are teams like Vanderbilt, Miss State, Missouri and Kentucky inlcuded?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I still think people are glossing over the GOR in the ACC. If any team were to leave the acc whatever money they made is supposed to still belong to the league until it expires. Don’t see how a simple 50 million dollar check can make that contract disappear.
Only the media rights from their home games, but that’s enough.

Reaction Score
Only the media rights from their home games, but that’s enough.
GORs are like anti-compete clauses. They are there as a fear mechanism. Truth is, if any network and/or league wants a school bad enough, the GOR won't be a deciding factor. It may prevent a Syracuse or BCU from jumping, but it certainly won't hold back Clemson.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
GORs are like anti-compete clauses. They are there as a fear mechanism. Truth is, if any network and/or league wants a school bad enough, the GOR won't be a deciding factor. It may prevent a Syracuse or BCU from jumping, but it certainly won't hold back Clemson.
I’m not sure that is the best analogy, but I understand your point. It will be interesting to see the results when one is litigated, which I agree will eventually happen.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure that is the best analogy, but I understand your point. It will be interesting to see the results when one is litigated, which I agree will eventually happen.
Analogies were never my strength. With Texas and OU jumping, there is a paradigm shift in the media landscape that will will change forever. Can Clemson or Espn really wait for the ACC GOR to expire before making a move? 15 years is a long time. By then, Clemson and FSU can be left behind entirely. This move is so big that I am sure behind close doors schools(like Clemson and OSU) as well as TV execs are only thinking about themselves and what assets are deemed valuable. Only a handful of schools are in play. Truth is, few if any up top care about any one else.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
If OSU/UM/FSU/Clemson go to the SEC (not saying they will, just if they do) I wonder if Norte Dame considers dropping their independent status and ask for an invite. If the SEC has a mega conference that plays mostly conference games, what high quality east coast games will Notre Dame be left to schedule? With only a few OOC spots open and the league beating up on each other I'd assume the OOC schedule would be mostly buy games for SEC teams (great for UConn football!). FWIW Notre Dame fan base would be additive for the league for sure.

And also going off the assumptions above, does USC & UCLA try to get in the super league as well?

And if that happens what options does the SEC have to boot Vandy, Missouri and one other bottom dweller to keep the league at 20? Or do they let the rest of the college world grovel at their doorstep for the 24th and final spot (Penn State or Stanford presumably as top options).

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Analogies were never my strength. With Texas and OU jumping, there is a paradigm shift in the media landscape that will will change forever. Can Clemson or Espn really wait for the ACC GOR to expire before making a move? 15 years is a long time. By then, Clemson and FSU can be left behind entirely. This move is so big that I am sure behind close doors schools(like Clemson and OSU) as well as TV execs are only thinking about themselves and what assets are deemed valuable. Only a handful of schools are in play. Truth is, few if any up top care about any one else.
This is a really good point no one else has mentioned regarding ACC teams - ESPN owns the contracts for both the ACC and SEC. Gives Clemson & FSU some extra firepower in negotiating with the ACC for release of those school's media rights.

Reaction Score
Not a surprise but seems it’s official now. I know I shouldn’t feel this way but I can’t wait to see who gets screwed. It won’t just be us this time.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

They are not anti-compete clauses. A GOR means a school has sold its media rights in return for consideration. It is like any other asset sale. I will revert back to the example of someone selling their home. Once it is sold, you can't get the house back and sell it to someone else. The house is already sold.

Unless there is some kind of "out" clause in the GOR sale, I don't see how Clemson or anyone else gets out of them.

Reaction Score
The worst part about this is the crap schools that are getting taken along for the ride because they were lucky enough to already be in these conferences. Basketball and the other sports need to break off and be separated from football conference alignments. Separate media deals and conferences.

Reaction Score
They are not anti-compete clauses. A GOR means a school has sold its media rights in return for consideration. It is like any other asset sale. I will revert back to the example of someone selling their home. Once it is sold, you can't get the house back and sell it to someone else. The house is already sold.

Unless there is some kind of "out" clause in the GOR sale, I don't see how Clemson or anyone else gets out of them.
yes, the idea was that you can leave the conference and go somewhere else but whatever money is made belongs to the conference until the contract runs out. That’s why conferences pay out teams and not the other way around. The ACC shouldn’t be willing to give that up for any amount of compensation because you would essentially be giving up your cash cow, this isn’t like the big 12 where it expires in a few years. Can’t see how this can get simply maneuvered past.

Reaction Score
The worst part about this is the crap schools that are getting taken along for the ride because they were lucky enough to already be in these conferences.
That's definitely not the worst part of this.

Reaction Score
yes, the idea was that you can leave the conference and go somewhere else but whatever money is made belongs to the conference until the contract runs out. That’s why conferences pay out teams and not the other way around. The ACC shouldn’t be willing to give that up for any amount of compensation because you would essentially be giving up your cash cow, this isn’t like the big 12 where it expires in a few years. Can’t see how this can get simply maneuvered past.
ESPN owns the ACC Network. If they pony up a truck load of money for a supersized SEC and they decide that Clemson is more valuable to them there, Clemson will surely jump ship. ESPN is running court here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom