QB, time to open it up… | Page 2 | The Boneyard

QB, time to open it up…

Reaction Score
TR played well, despite the fumble. Wind was a factor all day especially on kicking and field position. Receiver drops—as well as drops by DB’s on interception chances hurt.
But #1issue was the play calling. It was atrocious at every turn. 2nd and 1 deep in USF territory. Why waste a 1 yd run for 1st down. Try play action pass for a TD. If incomplete, there are two more chances to pick up 1st down.
No flip reverses after several sideways run plays? Pass routes constantly pinning our receivers against sidelines? Running on every first down? No imagination—at all—all day.
And the defense, wow! It was 4th quarter awful!.
Still, it’s not the time to crumble. We persevere and head to Boston. No reason we can’t compete with them if our coaches let us.

Reaction Score
Play calling was predictable, too many passes behind LOS, sideline routes as you pointed out instead of over the middle. Win was there for the taking and they could not close.

Reaction Score
This is a really crazy discussion. Did Roberson make an awful mistake by fumbling after he had picked up the first down that left us within 30 yards from a tieing FG? Heck yes. But this is a guy with the physical talents to be a good QB for us at our level who has been shaking off the rust of barely having played for about 4 years and recovering from knee surgery who has been getting better and better at a good rate. And I don’t want to hear about next year — we are not able to count on the freshman from TX either showing up Here or being ready to play effectively from day one.

Reaction Score
-We probably lost an easy 80-100 yards of field position due to just poor special teams play. Too many things to mention. Impact tough to quantify but we started an offensive series 10-20 yds deeper that we should have on at least 2 occasions. I don’t like to malign Caratan because he’s our best ST player, but in the 1st & 3rd quarter, why the heck did he keep every punt super- low with the strong wind at his back? Each punt would have easily gone 10-20 yards farther if he had put them up into the jet stream. Would have at least flipped the field for better field position.

It's entirely possible he has been told to focus on trying to locate the ball in a certain area... we lack the team speed... the special teams issues on kick coverage stem from an inability to get down the field and (on punts) Caratan's ability to out-kick his coverage.

Reaction Score
It's entirely possible he has been told to focus on trying to locate the ball in a certain area... we lack the team speed... the special teams issues on kick coverage stem from an inability to get down the field and (on punts) Caratan's ability to out-kick his coverage.
Yea I’m not going to get on him too much for reasons you mentioned. In the case of those punts with the wind at his back, it was completely possible that he felt he’d put them in the end zone for touchbacks vs possible inside the 20. But honestly, with our coverage, I’d take safe touchbacks! :confused:

Reaction Score
That is my thought also.
to be clear, I'm not recommending that he loses starting job. he played well enough to keep it, and to think positively about his future in a UConn uniform.

But him just going in for every snap, while at one and six, and the game ending fumble - think it's time to mix it up a bit in all aspects of our game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The time to play the backups QB was when Edsall was losing by 30 or 40 points. Not when you're ahead by 10 with 12 minutes to go.

I most certainly would start Roberson against BCU because he gives us the best chance to win. If BCU goes up 30 points bring in a back up. Otherwise TR has earned the right to try to land a victory.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
This loss is not on TR but the lousy play calling in the second half with run run run on first down when they should have done more play action and outright throws.

Yes he should have carried the ball closer to his body, but there were a few other things that were issues like the drops

Reaction Score
to be clear, I'm not recommending that he loses starting job. he played well enough to keep it, and to think positively about his future in a UConn uniform.

But him just going in for every snap, while at one and six, and the game ending fumble - think it's time to mix it up a bit in all aspects of our game.
No. You are absolutely recommending that. What do you think it means when you give the others a shot. Stop talking out of both sides of your mouth.

Reaction Score
This is a really crazy discussion. Did Roberson make an awful mistake by fumbling after he had picked up the first down that left us within 30 yards from a tieing FG? Heck yes. But this is a guy with the physical talents to be a good QB for us at our level who has been shaking off the rust of barely having played for about 4 years and recovering from knee surgery who has been getting better and better at a good rate. And I don’t want to hear about next year — we are not able to count on the freshman from TX either showing up Here or being ready to play effectively from day one.
100% if he’s on the team, TR is likely our starter next year as well.

Reaction Score
The qb is not the problem but we should act like the QB is the problem???? Why?!??!
Because the qb has so much of an outsized influence on the game? I think he’s better than he was a few games ago, and he might not fumble again, but … he doesn’t have much touch on his passes it seems to me. Lots of fastballs. Maybe that’s why we’re seeing so many drops?

Reaction Score
Does the OP want the team and program to be worse then it already is?

Reaction Score
Because the qb has so much of an outsized influence on the game? I think he’s better than he was a few games ago, and he might not fumble again, but … he doesn’t have much touch on his passes it seems to me. Lots of fastballs. Maybe that’s why we’re seeing so many drops?
So the qb is the problem? Look. Op's position is schizophrenic. If you want to open it up I think it would be a mistake but at least it is a consistent position based on a reason

Reaction Score
Roberson was an issue his first 2 games, but he clearly is improving and getting much more confident under center. The problem is, is receivers are not doing them any favor.

Reaction Score
I’d like to see ZT start next week and is McDonald still with us?
We just have to try something new at QB and at other positions on the field. Out season went bust today, time to make the most out of the games we have left. Winning really doesn’t matter from here on in. Just play to get better for next year.
This is so incredibly uneducated. TR has been our best QB in YEARs, he has multiple years of eligibility left too. There is no reason to move on from him...we need to build with him.

Reaction Score
This is so incredibly uneducated. TR has been our best QB in YEARs, he has multiple years of eligibility left too. There is no reason to move on from him...we need to build with him.

Does the OP want the team and program to be worse then it already is?

TR I believe has 1 year left - Years?

Move on from him? At 1-6 any move to give another QB a few snaps is suddenly “moving on?”

I am a UConn fan and have been through thick and thin with the team. Watching TR so carelessly lose the ball made me think maybe we’re asking too much from him,… Maybe we should give ZT/TM a few snaps to lighten the load. It may not be a popular opinion but folks we are 1-6 and having worst season anyone thought possible. It should all be on the table.

Reaction Score
So the qb is the problem? Look. Op's position is schizophrenic. If you want to open it up I think it would be a mistake but at least it is a consistent position based on a reason
Not saying he’s THE problem. There are no perfect players or coaches here. I just made an observation.

Reaction Score
He has at least one year left after this year. This is the first season of his career with over four games played. From there, add in that hes a recipient of a Covid year and his injury last year, I would bet he has a solid chance at two more.

Ill add in that he is being rated as a top 30 QB in the nation since taking over. We suck....but its in spite of his good performances, not because of him.
TR I believe has 1 year left - Years?

Move on from him? At 1-6 any move to give another QB a few snaps is suddenly “moving on?”

I am a UConn fan and have been through thick and thin with the team. Watching TR so carelessly lose the ball made me think maybe we’re asking too much from him,… Maybe we should give ZT/TM a few snaps to lighten the load. It may not be a popular opinion but folks we are 1-6 and having worst season anyone thought possible. It should all be on the table.

Reaction Score
He has at least one year left after this year. This is the first season of his career with over four games played. From there, add in that hes a recipient of a Covid year and his injury last year, I would bet he has a solid chance at two more.

Ill add in that he is being rated as a top 30 QB in the nation since taking over. We suck....but its in spite of his good performances, not because of him.
Well, this is where I think we are getting a little over the top w/ praise of TR.

Let’s talk USF
The fumble was huge mistake, one of worse in recent memory at pivotal time of game. It was an completely avoidable back breaker.
His play in the 2nd half was not very good as the USF QB just got better and better as the game went on,
And we are 1-6.

When we say top 30 - we’ve had some cupcakes in our schedule but aside from that, we are just one of the worst teams in college football. Is it TR’s fault, heck no, Is he playing good enough to take every single snap regardless on how tired he looks on field? IMO, no.

Reaction Score
TR is out first legit Qb in a long time. He made a huge mistake but losses and wins are the sum total of everything that occurred on the field. We had momentum and we squandered it. Had we stayed aggressive and kept exploiting the middle of the field with a nice pass mix, we would have won by 10+. Lots of dropped passes is a result of not a lot of contested pass reps all season. Keep throwing and balls will get caught. In fact, enough were caught in the first 25 minutes to keep us ahead. Charlton is a Grade A clown. Mora playing that stupid soft rush D is no good. Using the proven weaker kicker is inexplicable.

No, TR is not remotely the issue despite a horrible mistake.
When you say not remotely the issue… We had 77 yards offense in the first half against BC today….

Passing not sure maybe 30 yards?

How many did he run for? Likely 0.

So when you say not nearly an issue, think the numbers speak for themselves.

Now he did have lots of dropped balls and played well in my estimation in the first half.

But we need better play at the QB position. If our receivers want to drop balls all day then we need a mobile QB that is willing to run, to do what it takes to get a first down. On that last drive of game we needed him to be willing to run for it - he wasn’t…

That is the standard for any good college football team these days.

I really like TR and wish so many balls had not been dropped and the holds did not happen in last drive of game but he will have to play better if we are going to win more than one game this year.

Reaction Score
When you say not remotely the issue… We had 77 yards offense in the first half against BC today….

Passing not sure maybe 30 yards?

How many did he run for? Likely 0.

So when you say not nearly an issue, think the numbers speak for themselves.

Now he did have lots of dropped balls and played well in my estimation in the first half.

But we need better play at the QB position. If our receivers want to drop balls all day then we need a mobile QB that is willing to run, to do what it takes to get a first down. On that last drive of game we needed him to be willing to run for it - he wasn’t…

That is the standard for any good college football team these days.

I really like TR and wish so many balls had not been dropped and the holds did not happen in last drive of game but he will have to play better if we are going to win more than one game this year.

We don’t have a better QB on the roster at the moment.

End of discussion.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
He has no touch, whips the ball, and does not run. But yeah, we have no better option.

Reaction Score
He has no touch, whips the ball, and does not run. But yeah, we have no better option.

I don’t love him. I’m still turned off by not chasing that fumble way back.

But it’s silly to think that we have someone else we that would do better.

He does throw a great ball at times.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom