QB, time to open it up… | The Boneyard

QB, time to open it up…

Reaction Score
There is lots of praise for TR today vs USF and much of it well deserved. There were a lot of dropped balls, that was not TR’s fault.

But that was an epic and entirely avoidable fumble that gave away the game today. It should have been a game winning drive but it was thrown away - so carelessly. It was the whole game on the line.

With the season for pretty much over, I think the coaching staff needs to scrap whatever plans they have now and start playing for next year.

Rotate QB’s like it’s Spring practice, try some Freshman out that might have sitting all year - the time is now to start trying something new. This is one of the only benefits to having such a bad season materialize like this - having a chance to try something new. I think some players - not all - but some could use a bit of a shake-up - earn your minutes on the field.

Reaction Score
How many QBs do you think we have?
I’d like to see ZT start next week and is McDonald still with us?
We just have to try something new at QB and at other positions on the field. Out season went bust today, time to make the most out of the games we have left. Winning really doesn’t matter from here on in. Just play to get better for next year.

Reaction Score
We just have to try something new at QB and at other positions on the field. Out season went bust today, time to make the most out of the games we have left. Winning really doesn’t matter from here on in. Just play to get better for next year.
TR is twice the QB ZT is. Why you want to see him again is beyond me. McDonald might get some play when there are only 4 games left.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
Really? Roberson is the best QB we've had in quite some time..

Reaction Score
TR is twice the QB ZT is. Why you want to see him again is beyond me. McDonald might get some play when there are only 4 games left.
It’s the fumble that cost us the game… that’s why. An egregious error that ended the game.
It should not be overlooked. It was the lack of care securing the ball that caused any chance of winning the game to go bye bye.

We haven’t seen ZT play or McDonald, so I have no idea - what I am saying is based on our 1-6 record, it’s time to find out.

Reaction Score
It’s the fumble that cost us the game… that’s why. An egregious error that ended the game.
It should not be overlooked. It was the lack of care securing the ball that caused any chance of winning the game to go bye bye.

We haven’t seen ZT play or McDonald, so I have no idea - what I am saying is based on our 1-6 record, it’s time to find out.
Brother we ran the ball almost every down in the third quarter and when TR did put the ball on someone tonight, they dropped it.

TR didn't lose the game. The coaches did.

Reaction Score
I thought Roberson played a pretty good game and is kind of coming into his own. The fumble was unfortunate but he shaking off the rust and making some nice throws.
TR to me is no better and no worse than Shireffs. He's good enough to go bowling with

Reaction Score
I think we threw the ball on 1st down once the entire game. And that one throw was an immediate catch for another first down.

I feel like the offense is INCREDIBLY predictable. We’re down to what, 2.5 active running backs on the roster, with Rosa’s injury today? Stop running Edwards into the ground and start throwing the ball consistently on more than just 3rd and long. I swear I don’t know what Charlton does. Just puzzling.

Reaction Score
I think we threw the ball on 1st down once the entire game. And that one throw was an immediate catch for another first down.

I feel like the offense is INCREDIBLY predictable. We’re down to what, 2.5 active running backs on the roster, with Rosa’s injury today? Stop running Edwards into the ground and start throwing the ball consistently on more than just 3rd and long. I swear I don’t know what Charlton does. Just puzzling.
This is literally why we lost the game

Reaction Score
There is lots of praise for TR today vs USF and much of it well deserved. There were a lot of dropped balls, that was not TR’s fault.

But that was an epic and entirely avoidable fumble that gave away the game today. It should have been a game winning drive but it was thrown away - so carelessly. It was the whole game on the line.

With the season for pretty much over, I think the coaching staff needs to scrap whatever plans they have now and start playing for next year.

Rotate QB’s like it’s Spring practice, try some Freshman out that might have sitting all year - the time is now to start trying something new. This is one of the only benefits to having such a bad season materialize like this - having a chance to try something new. I think some players - not all - but some could use a bit of a shake-up - earn your minutes on the field.
The qb is not the problem but we should act like the QB is the problem???? Why?!??!

Reaction Score
Winning really doesn’t matter from here on in. Just play to get better for next year.
No attack @UGo I just talk and cheer loud. ;) WINNING ALWAYS MATTERS !!!!!!
This is D1 sports and a big $$$ business! I don't claim to know everything and not a fan of the transfer portal system as it is. BUT, if you are not winning your better players are going to be poached. That and the players coming in from the portal are not all what they were made up to be.
Coaching staffs no longer have a full view of what they have to work with next year. No longer a development situation but more like free agency. I'm not whining for UConn, coaches at the highest levels are baffled. Just playing to get better for next year does not sell tickets.

Reaction Score
The qb is not the problem but we should act like the QB is the problem???? Why?!??
Can we stop pretending that TR didn’t completely lose the ball on the what should have been a game winning drive?

He did.

It wasn’t some great defensive play but careless with the ball And it cost us a chance to win the game. Losing not his fault though but hard to see what starting another QB and some others while we finish up this miserable season, could hurt us at this point in time.

We’re just going through motions now, let’s open up the playbook.

Reaction Score
If the theme of this is "Try other guys at QB", then this is one of the dumber ones ever posted.
Roberson is getting better every game. The OLine is doing a great job of protection (Sheriffs and Pindel had to run for their lives). Problems are dropped passes and the inability of coaching to put him in good situations. For example, play action drop backs from under center worked great. He seems comfortable passing from the pocket and was being protected. So they started rolling him out where he is less effective.
Don't like being critical of coaching, because I know, they know more than me, but why did they stop doing what was working? Should only change when you are forced to.

Reaction Score
Brother we ran the ball almost every down in the third quarter and when TR did put the ball on someone tonight, they dropped it.

TR didn't lose the game. The coaches did.
Did you read that before hitting post reply.

Reaction Score
It could cause Taquan to leave.
I would hope not but how to you think Turner feels during a 1-6 season.. Not getting in for any snaps.

I’ve said TR played well but that fumble should be overlooked - again failure to secure the ball - that’s football 101.

Like to see some new things on offense, rotating players in, different looks. This year is beyond turnaround stage and it is time to look ahead.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Can we stop pretending that TR didn’t completely lose the ball on the what should have been a game winning drive?

He did.

It wasn’t some great defensive play but careless with the ball And it cost us a chance to win the game. Losing not his fault though but hard to see what starting another QB and some others while we finish up this miserable season, could hurt us at this point in time.

We’re just going through motions now, let’s open up the playbook.
He held the ball, as they say, like a loaf of bread. Then stared at the loose ball as he is apt to do.

Reaction Score

Thought the title meant a more exciting aggressive offense. Giving up on him is ludicrous. TR is coming around, the fumble was awful, but not a reason to try someone else. Wait until you have a blowout win and give the freshman or ZT a chance to play.

TR is inexperienced in every aspect of the game due to his past history. Is it me, or was yesterday the first time he looked like a threat with his feet? He will do better next time, as long as he is willing to accept he screwed up, and learn from it.

TR is our guy, keep coaching him up! Accentuate the positives, work on the negatives.

Reaction Score
TR is not the issue. The play call is not up to par to say the least
Team-wide execution is the problem.

For example:

-If the Defense makes just one stop on 3rd down or grabs a catchable INT ball on those two late USF TD drives, we win.

-If the receivers don’t drop 3-4 well thrown balls for 1st downs/big gains, we probably score 7+ more points and win

-We probably lost an easy 80-100 yards of field position due to just poor special teams play. Too many things to mention. Impact tough to quantify but we started an offensive series 10-20 yds deeper that we should have on at least 2 occasions. I don’t like to malign Caratan because he’s our best ST player, but in the 1st & 3rd quarter, why the heck did he keep every punt super- low with the strong wind at his back? Each punt would have easily gone 10-20 yards farther if he had put them up into the jet stream. Would have at least flipped the field for better field position.

Reaction Score
No way, he’s our guy. Yes that turnover at the end is unacceptable but he is giving us a chance to win despite wr drops and horrid coaching.

Reaction Score
TR is out first legit Qb in a long time. He made a huge mistake but losses and wins are the sum total of everything that occurred on the field. We had momentum and we squandered it. Had we stayed aggressive and kept exploiting the middle of the field with a nice pass mix, we would have won by 10+. Lots of dropped passes is a result of not a lot of contested pass reps all season. Keep throwing and balls will get caught. In fact, enough were caught in the first 25 minutes to keep us ahead. Charlton is a Grade A clown. Mora playing that stupid soft rush D is no good. Using the proven weaker kicker is inexplicable.

No, TR is not remotely the issue despite a horrible mistake.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom