Public Service Announcement | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Public Service Announcement

Reaction Score
Because the team wasn't all that good. Absolutely curb-stomped by Louisville. Lost to SMU at home. OOC they won some games, IU by 1, Florida by 1, BC by 2. Even late they were squeaking out close wins over USF and Rutgers. That was not a dominant team.

No other UConn championship team had a resume like that. Very few other championship teams did, and most of them are in the "miracle" category. That includes Kansas in 1988, Nova in 85 and NC State in 83. They needed OT to beat St. Joes. Then something magical happened.
I like to think we peaked at the right time. Frankly, we did. KO figured out what he could get out of Neils and DeAndre and used them perfectly. It was a perfect use of the tools in his tool box. Those guys started hitting some open shots and the confidence of everyone involved, especially KO, just went off the charts. They figured it out. In retrospect, there was a lot of talent out there for us too.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I like to think we peaked at the right time. Frankly, we did. KO figured out what he could get out of Neils and DeAndre and used them perfectly. It was a perfect use of the tools in his tool box. Those guys started hitting some open shots and the confidence of everyone involved, especially KO, just went off the charts. They figured it out. In retrospect, there was a lot of talent out there for us too.

Freakin Terence Samuel was a terror. Think about that.

Reaction Score
I hate to interrupt this riveting HuskyHawk/ADub dialogue, but has anyone seen or heard from Beakumhawks ? He doesn't come up on any searches that I could find and I knew he had some health issues awhile back, but that was before COVID and I think it's been years since he's been around.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I hate to interrupt this riveting HuskyHawk/ADub dialogue, but has anyone seen or heard from Beakumhawks ? He doesn't come up on any searches that I could find and I knew he had some health issues awhile back, but that was before COVID and I think it's been years since he's been around.

He was treated like crap for a while here. He may have asked his account be deleted. Great guy. Never should have been mistreated.

@Beakumhawk

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
A Miracle beating Martelli, Jay Wright 2 seed, Hoiberg 3 seed, Izzo 4 seed, Donovan overall 1 seed and Caliparis 5 star fest. We ass backed into that one!
Didn't say we didn't beat good teams or had an easy path. We beat teams that were mostly better than us.
Yes, certainly some of that. But we weren't the best team. The best team doesn't always win, in any sport. Lots of World Series winners and Super Bowl winners that weren't the best team. There is always an element of luck in sports. Doesn't take anything away from it to acknowledge that team needed it. UConn knew how to grind out defensive games. Maybe Villanova fans don't think there was any luck involved in their team shooting 78% from the floor against the most dominant defensive team in the country.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

Reaction Score
Because the team wasn't all that good. Absolutely curb-stomped by Louisville. Lost to SMU at home. OOC they won some games, IU by 1, Florida by 1, BC by 2. Even late they were squeaking out close wins over USF and Rutgers. That was not a dominant team.

No other UConn championship team had a resume like that. Very few other championship teams did, and most of them are in the "miracle" category. That includes Kansas in 1988, Nova in 85 and NC State in 83. They needed OT to beat St. Joes. Then something magical happened.
Lucky and miracle I take to mean they had huge breaks go their way like the star player on the other team going down 10 seconds into the game, the other team completely choking it away late at the line like Memphis did against Kansas, or a wild shot going in at the buzzer. UConn had one close game in the first round where nothing fluky happened and then they controlled all the other games beating 4 Hall of Fame coaches.

Florida went undefeated in the SEC and was 35-2 after their loss at the beginning of the season to Wisconsin, those two losses to UConn. That UConn team was really good they just couldn't matchup with that Lousiville Pitino team. There was nothing lucky about the run. Kansas winning it all in '08 was certainly lucky.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
1694208235005.png

Season 5 What GIF by The Office

CL82

Reaction Score
He was treated like crap for a while here. He may have asked his account be deleted. Great guy. Never should have been mistreated.
I thought deleting an account wasn't a thing here. Posting is always optional though.

Reaction Score
Ahhh, that sucks. He was pretty much Yard legacy and here longer than most of the people who probably drove him away. Thanks, Tom.

Reaction Score
They also have the biggest homecourt advantage in sports. It's always 8 on 5 playing at Allen Fieldhouse, even one of my Kansas friends is embarrassed by the home whistle they get. It's why I'm already penciling in a loss for us and one of the reasons I was hesitant about UConn going to the Big 12. 83 days before tip-off and you're already whining about the refs?

They also have the biggest homecourt advantage in sports. It's always 8 on 5 playing at Allen Fieldhouse, even one of my Kansas friends is embarrassed by the home whistle they get. It's why I'm already penciling in a loss for us and one of the reasons I was hesitant about UConn going to the Big 12.
83 days before the first whistle and you're already whining about the refs?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I thought deleting an account wasn't a thing here. Posting is always optional though.

All it does is change the username to "Deleted member 806", then deletes account info (email, ip address, etc). All posts remain.

Last edited:

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
There was so much trash talking coming from SDSU fans on the walk up to the stadium in April. I have a fond memory of looking around at all the smiling UConn fans.
I had an absolute ball reminding them what happened the last time the guy whose jersey they were wearing played for them (Kawhi).

Talk about bad mojo.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Lucky and miracle I take to mean they had huge breaks go their way like the star player on the other team going down 10 seconds into the game, the other team completely choking it away late at the line like Memphis did against Kansas, or a wild shot going in at the buzzer. UConn had one close game in the first round where nothing fluky happened and then they controlled all the other games beating 4 Hall of Fame coaches.

Florida went undefeated in the SEC and was 35-2 after their loss at the beginning of the season to Wisconsin, those two losses to UConn. That UConn team was really good they just couldn't matchup with that Lousiville Pitino team. There was nothing lucky about the run. Kansas winning it all in '08 was certainly lucky.
Play that tournament 100 times and somebody else wins 98 of them. That’s not true of 2004. In 1999 Duke or UConn would probably win 96 of them in equal measures. Luck includes being matched up against teams that are better or worse for you and getting refs that call games in ways that fit your playstyle. That Louisville team for example. It happens every year that some teams run into a bad matchup. I consider that bad luck. UConn has very bad luck two years ago facing NM State.

The Kansas team in 08 was 37-3. They weren’t lucky. They were good. Game was close all game long. Rose missed one of two FTs but that wasn’t any more lucky than Chalmers hitting the 3 to tie it. That Memphis team would have had it vacated anyway. Rose wasn’t eligible. Memphis was better from the line in that game than Kentucky was against UConn in 2014.

Reaction Score
Missing tourney sucks. No doubt. But heading into tourney as one of the top 8 seeds in the tourney and consistently missing the mark is a sign of a culture of institutional choking.
Another way of saying Self can’t get it done when it counts.

Reaction Score
We are getting closer to the season, thank JC, and I just want to remind everyone here of something since we are only 2 months and change away from the matchup.

University of Connecticut has 5 National Championships
University of Kansas has 4.

No matter what happens on 12/1, that will be the fact before and after the game.

Also can we take a minute to recognize how dumb people from Kansas are? The School is actually named "University of Kansas" yet they go by the moniker "KU" Why? Isnt that backwards? Is it because they are not even big enough boys to take "UK" from University of Kentucky?

Pretty beta school if truth be told.

Add to the PSA: No requests to fire Danny Hurley after the first loss of the season.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It's kind of the opposite. They take no notice of UConn really, and that causes some of us to lose our minds. But in most cases you're dealing with the KU equivalent of our own UConn Twitter idiots. Mostly just trolling and trying to aggro another fanbase in any way they can. Nothing bothers a UConn fan quite like being ignored or disregarded. It's our Kryptonite.

I haven't changed. My priorities this year are 1. UConn #6 2. Kansas #5. My desire for 1. won't stop me for rooting for 2. if UConn is knocked out. Next year, it will be the same.
Just having fun. You’re one of the good posters so I won’t rub it in that I’m a Bison undergraduate. Went to UConn postgraduate.

Reaction Score
For reference
The 68-team format was adopted in 2011; it had remained largely unchanged since 1985 when it expanded to 64 teams. Before then, the tournament size varied from as little as 8 to as many as 53. The field was restricted to conference champions until at-large bids were extended in 1975 and teams were not fully seeded until 1979.

CL82

Reaction Score
Add to the PSA: No requests to fire Danny Hurley after the first loss of the season.
Absolutely! We need to hold off on those until the postseason. Preferably at halftime.

#mojosuicide

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom