Public Service Announcement | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Public Service Announcement

Reaction Score
And then the other argument from them is "......muh!!!! consistency, we won the conference title x number of years in a row, and we made NCAA tourney x number of years in a row........." Im not going to lie, they are both impressive feats. But in the end doesn't that just indicate that you have gagged a million times when the lights are the brightest?
They also have the biggest homecourt advantage in sports. It's always 8 on 5 playing at Allen Fieldhouse, even one of my Kansas friends is embarrassed by the home whistle they get. It's why I'm already penciling in a loss for us and one of the reasons I was hesitant about UConn going to the Big 12.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
so lets get this straight, they are only one behind us because they cut down the peach baskets in a 1952 tournament and then were handed a title in a point shaving scandal in 2008? So they have 2 titles really.

Talk about lucky, Kansas counts 2008 as a title when CDR and Rose miss every FT possible in last 90 seconds of game, but @HuskyHawk calls UConn titles lucky?
I think 2014 was lucky. But honestly, every national title involves some luck along the way. I fully expected us to win it last year. And in 1999 and 2004. 2011 knew we had a chance. 2014, that was a miracle. Not sure what this manufactured controversy is, aside from you doing the voodoo that you do so well. You going to the game in December? I checked and Angel Du$t is playing at the Bottleneck on the 2nd.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Yeah gonna disagree on that. That's more a Rutgers thing. The Connecticut fan default is quiet confidence. That's where the "arrogant" tag comes from. People can throw any shade they want at our program and we can smile and shrug knowing that we are not only five time national champions, but five times national champions in the last 25 years. That is staggering and it breeds confidence that, apparently, is threatening to fans of lesser programs.
You're on the CR board enough to know this isn't true. Fortunately, the UConn response to it is "just win baby". And that's the right answer.

Reaction Score
Nah. That's the one where we disagree. Really gagging is missing the tournament altogether. As a fan, that's the worst feeling. No program has had the level of success UConn has at winning it all as a % of how often we get in. But that's only part of the story, getting in is the other part. Not missing the tournament since before some on this board were born is indeed an achievement.

Yet they still had that sweet 16 run for the fans more than we did. As a fan, I'd prefer that. Wouldn't you? Big 12/8 was very good in the 90s. Mizzou and Oklahoma State were both very strong then. But Big East was tops in that era.
I prefer 5 national championships in 23 tournaments for UConn to 2 for Kansas.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Nah. That's the one where we disagree. Really gagging is missing the tournament altogether. As a fan, that's the worst feeling. No program has had the level of success UConn has at winning it all as a % of how often we get in. But that's only part of the story, getting in is the other part. Not missing the tournament since before some on this board were born is indeed an achievement.

Yet they still had that sweet 16 run for the fans more than we did. As a fan, I'd prefer that. Wouldn't you? Big 12/8 was very good in the 90s. Mizzou and Oklahoma State were both very strong then. But Big East was tops in that era.
For sure those "Count" It's just been painted that there is this gigantic gap between UConn ( who Kansas fans define as the epitome of feast or famine) and Kansas as the epitome of consistency.

For all those mental gymnastics, it comes down to this - in a 6 year cycle - UConn goes to the sweet 16 3 times and one of those 3 wins it all once. Kansas goes to the sweet 16 4 times and wins it all once every two cycles.

That's the difference in 32 years.

So yes, while that extra sweet 16 does matter, if that's the razor's edge between most consistent program of the last 30 years and feast or famine then yes, sign me up for feast and famine. There's no asterisk to be found on UConn's success.

One edit to add - I don't think it feels any better to be a 1 seed sniped by a 8/9 then it does to miss the tourney all together. If anything, its been a joy watching UConn's young teams develop into champions instead of reloading with Mc'D's who choked when the lights came on.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I think 2014 was lucky. But honestly, every national title involves some luck along the way. I fully expected us to win it last year. And in 1999 and 2004. 2011 knew we had a chance. 2014, that was a miracle. Not sure what this manufactured controversy is, aside from you doing the voodoo that you do so well. You going to the game in December? I checked and Angel Du$t is playing at the Bottleneck on the 2nd.

Animated GIF

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
For sure this entire thread is @HuskyHawk bait but it is a nice cathartic canvas to get all my thoughts on the matter out.
I like huskyhawk and take his allegiance declarations at face value, hes a good sport who I like to tweak, but no. This is going to be linked reposted to Phog and the other boards and social media feeds these insecure lunatics post on. So thank you for your stellar work here. You (and I) deal in measured facts. And these people need a wake up call.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I like huskyhawk and take his allegiance declarations at face value, hes a good sport who I like to tweak, but no. This is going to be linked reposted to Phog and the other boards and social media feeds these insecure lunatics post on. So thank you for your stellar work here. You (and I) deal in measured facts. And these people need a wake up call.
Happy to help, let me know what else I can waste time on in support of this caseload.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Missing tourney sucks. No doubt. But heading into tourney as one of the top 8 seeds in the tourney and consistently missing the mark is a sign of a culture of institutional choking.
Or that they resemble Purdue

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Agree to disagree.

(You know that August is bored and is trolling you, right?)
For sure this entire thread is @HuskyHawk bait but it is a nice cathartic canvas to get all my thoughts on the matter out.
Yes and yes. And he knows I know, hence my YouTube reference. But it's Friday afternoon, it's hot and sometimes you have to just play the role you've been assigned.
And I have disabused Jayhawk fans of their stupidity on Twitter at times. And UConn fans as well. That place has the worst of both in many ways.

Side, side note. Kansas and UConn have something in common. We can't seem to make a football helmet that looks good. Well they just did. So now I'm wondering if UConn can create a snarling side view Husky or something.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
. The Connecticut fan default is quiet confidence.
There was so much trash talking coming from SDSU fans on the walk up to the stadium in April. I have a fond memory of looking around at all the smiling UConn fans.

Reaction Score
Side, side note. Kansas and UConn have something in common. We can't seem to make a football helmet that looks good. Well they just did. So now I'm wondering if UConn can create a snarling side view Husky or something.

5b61f1b22be4abe73c8b476a

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This one?
1694202913557.png

Meh.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
That one is meh. Just like as ours. Because front facing logos don't work well on helmets. Ignore the black, which I don't like. Imagine a side Husky angle, with a bit of a growl. It could be awesome.

F5hUIcAX0AAjfo8.jpeg

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
That was the best we've had. If we had Penn State's history it would be fine. Need a little more excitement.

Reaction Score

How was 2014 lucky and a miracle?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That one is meh. Just like as ours. Because front facing logos don't work well on helmets. Ignore the black, which I don't like. Imagine a side Husky angle, with a bit of a growl. It could be awesome.

View attachment 91324
Definitely better.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
How was 2014 lucky and a miracle?
Because the team wasn't all that good. Absolutely curb-stomped by Louisville. Lost to SMU at home. OOC they won some games, IU by 1, Florida by 1, BC by 2. Even late they were squeaking out close wins over USF and Rutgers. That was not a dominant team.

No other UConn championship team had a resume like that. Very few other championship teams did, and most of them are in the "miracle" category. That includes Kansas in 1988, Nova in 85 and NC State in 83. They needed OT to beat St. Joes. Then something magical happened.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom