Possible portal targets | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Possible portal targets

Reaction Score
We are going to become a portal destination for kids who transfer from P5 to G5. If they can pull a few high level players in, the revolution will be in full swing. The draw will be playing time, great facilities, Mora, staff, and independent schedule. Add in the local kids and with this combination we can be a sustainable top 30 team or better In a few years.

AD David Benedict needs to upgrade the schedule as best as he can and find the money to keep Mora & staff. If we can maintain success then we should be in the mix during the next round of alignment. So much has changed in the last 14 months.

It is amazing how UConn can be very successful in so many sports when we invest.

Reaction Score
I didn't think it was possible. Why would a kid leave ND to come to UConn after going 8-2 at ND.??
BUT.....The Fighting Irish forums have him coming to UConn, Umass or Temple. The local fans usually have a pulse of their team. Fingers crossed.

Reaction Score
When you think about why a highly touted kid who had a very good season playing for a football blue blood figuring to be an entrenched starter next year wants to transfer…..

Seems like there is a solid shot here that he wants to be closer to home.

Reaction Score
I didn't think it was possible. Why would a kid leave ND to come to UConn after going 8-2 at ND.??
BUT.....The Fighting Irish forums have him coming to UConn, Umass or Temple. The local fans usually have a pulse of their team. Fingers crossed.
When you think about why a highly touted kid who had a very good season playing for a football blue blood figuring to be an entrenched starter next year wants to transfer…..

Seems like there is a solid shot here that he wants to be closer to home.
That message board had so many people talking crap about him and that he wasn’t good enough and shouldn’t start for them

Reaction Score
If UConn is going to go after a high end QB transfer, not sure Pyne is that guy, he may be a slight improvement, but not a huge difference maker in my opinion, watched him play a lot this year and against him in high school and the pedigree does not necessarily match the talent, but the staff knows best
Hear what you’re saying but New Canaan turns out at least one D1 prospect every year, and in some years more than one. UConn could do well to go after Pyne if only for that fact alone. I watched Pyne play in HS and would rate him maybe the 5th or 6th best QB in New Canaan football history going back to the Kurt Horton and Peter Demmerlee tandem in the late 60’s and early 70’s. The fact that Mitchell is following Pyne means more than you would think.

Reaction Score
Pyne -- 164-254, 64% Completion Percentage, 2,021 yards, 22 TDs, 6 INTs, 152.5 RTG
His stats look good. If you look at PFF grades, Pyne was rated #98 QB with a PFF grade of 69.1. Remember, this was his 3rd year at Notre Dame. Turner, a true freshman, was ranked #145 with a grade of 57.9.

Reaction Score
I could see him landing at BC also. His dad is from MA, he has family in MA. Jurkovec leaving BC.( Is there a reason?) Was there writing on the wall?
Played for a Catholic school (ND), family went to Catholic schools BC / Holy Cross. Stays close to home.
His dad is who UConn needs to land...LOL. With his sports marketing / money resume.

Reaction Score
I could see him landing at BC also. His dad is from MA, he has family in MA. Jurkovec leaving BC.( Is there a reason?) Was there writing on the wall?
New world w/ transfer portal so anything is possible but..

"Boston College found its starting quarterback of the future in Jurkovec's absence. Redshirt freshman Emmett Morehead threw for 330 yards in Boston College's upset of No. 16 NC State, the program's first win over an AP Top 25 team since 2014. Morehead finished throwing for 1,165 yards, completing 60% with nine touchdown passes.:

Reaction Score
Absolutely deserves his roses for that game, played great, however previous 4 games:
Vs. BC: 13/25 156 yds (It was snowing so)
@ Navy: 17/21 269 yds (pretty good game)
Vs. Clemson: 9/17 85 yds
@ Syracuse: 9/19 116 yds
They cover up his abilities with a strong run game and good defense (not dissimilar to UConn). He is an improvement no doubt I was more say it would not be team altering like it would appear in a headline of getting the starting QB of Notre Dame. But like I said, I trust the staff above all else, so ready to support whatever they do.
The last kid QB we got from ND turned out pretty good for the program…Just sayin’

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Since Jurkovec's name is also being thrown around w/ Pyne as portal options (Coach Mora follows both on Twitter):

From a mid-November story:

008.png

Reaction Score
Played for a Catholic school (ND), family went to Catholic schools BC / Holy Cross. Stays close to home.
His dad is who UConn needs to land...LOL. With his sports marketing / money resume.

Why? BC has a very good freshman QB. He might not even start there. That would be a risky move.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
His cousin is transferring out of BC after barely playing the past couple years.

Just a guess: they transfer together and play where the uncle's and aunts can watch them live weekly. I like to think we have a legit shot.

That would start 2023 recruiting with a sonic boom, no?

Plus Drew was coached by Marinelli's dad at New Canaan High.

Reaction Score
His stats look good. If you look at PFF grades, Pyne was rated #98 QB with a PFF grade of 69.1. Remember, this was his 3rd year at Notre Dame. Turner, a true freshman, was ranked #145 with a grade of 57.9.
Pyne’s high school stats were off the charts good. He is clearly one of the best QB’s New Canaan ever had along with Matt Milano, Michael Collins, and Kurt Horton who owned almost every state passing record for 30 years until the early 2000’s and the advent of the spread offense. A side note on Horton and a coincidence with respect to Pyne, he was recruited very heavily by Ara Parseghian and Notre Dame, and that’s where he went, along with Demmerlee, but transferred to Boston College end of his sophomore year.

Reaction Score
Pyne would be the type of high profile recruit that completely alters the trajectory of the football program, we would suddenly have a shot at WR transfers/recruits who wouldn't otherwise consider UCONN.

He would probably be the highest profile recruit in the history of the program, he was that good at ND.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom