• We got no choice

Votes: 305 46.9%
  • Stay in the Big East

Votes: 251 38.6%
  • Are we there yet?

Votes: 94 14.5%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Joining the big 12 would be a big mistake… first we will lose Hurley… then instead of recruiting 4 and 5 star recruits..we will be recruiting 3 star (a north east school playing in a southern league) then we will turn into a average to bad team with little fan support… right now things are great in the big east… we are on top of the world.. I haven’t had more fun watching uconn as i have had this year

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
Joining the big 12 would be a big mistake… first we will lose Hurley… then instead of recruiting 4 and 5 star recruits..we will be recruiting 3 star (a north east school playing in a southern league) then we will turn into a average to bad team with little fan support… right now things are great in the big east… we are on top of the world.. I haven’t had more fun watching uconn as i have had this year
Alternatively, joining the B12 lets us keep Hurley because we can afford to give him a raise and pay assistants more to keep them around more as well. We continue to recruit well because we play in the #1 basketball conference in the country. A few "fans" won't watch because "muh catholic schools" aren't there but real fans will enjoy matchups against perennial tournament teams and have fun.

As an added benefit, football recruiting goes way up and that becomes fun to watch as well. Also, we are better able to keep Mora around.

Reactions: DCT
Reaction Score
This post is horrendous.

For starters:

1.Hurley isn’t leaving because we go to the B12….THE END

2. We are not going to start recruiting 3 stars because we join one of the best basketball conferences in America. Our #3 class this year has players from Seattle and Georgia on it. We are a national brand not a northeast one. We’ll recruit just fine. We recruited just fine in the AAC before Ollie ollied himself into a mid major roster. Bouknight committed in the AAC, Alterique Gilbert(McDonald’s all American) committed in the AAC, Jalen Adams(top 30 borderline 5 star) committed in the AAC. And that was with half a***** effort from Ollie. Hurley is a masterful recruiter and I’d wager recruiting wouldn’t fall off at all.

Reaction Score
Thank god they do. UConn basketball is the best program in the country and the pro team for the state of CT. It's a huge point of pride and we've all seen 5 national championships because of it. I also love UConn football but they'll never win a national championship no matter how much they spend.

I would imagine the other dominant basketball schools like Kansas, Kentucky, Duke etc. spend more on their basketball coach than their football coach.
Maybe their HC, but overall, staff spending i doubt it.

And i agree that was the right move. But if the plan is fund football like they did in the Edsall 2.0 years, they might as well shut it down. Since they didn't shut it down, i have to assume it was for a potential move like this one.

Reaction Score
Lose Hurley? I've been told UConn was his dream job, even if we stayed in the AAC - Big 12 gonna make him leave? I'd be more concerned with him leaving if we can't keep his salary competitive.

Reaction Score
Thank god they do. UConn basketball is the best program in the country and the pro team for the state of CT. It's a huge point of pride and we've all seen 5 national championships because of it. I also love UConn football but they'll never win a national championship no matter how much they spend.

I would imagine the other dominant basketball schools like Kansas, Kentucky, Duke etc. spend more on their basketball coach than their football coach.
Kentucky:
Calipari $8.5M
Stoops: $8.6M

Kansas:
Self $5.7M
Leipold $5M

Pretty equal. I'd imagine overall they spend more on football coaching salaries because the staff is like 5x the size of a basketball staff.
UConn's coaching salaries are pretty low compared to most P5 teams. Hell, isn't Hurley one of the lower paid coaches in the Big East? He needs a huge raise

Reaction Score
One of two things are going to happen. Either Big Tech will get into the sports media game, and which case everyone else is going to lose, or Big Tech stays out of the sports media game, in which case we are at the high point for media rights in broadcast history, and there is only one way for them to go. If it is the latter, why would UConn jump leagues to the Big 12, which by any objective measure seems to be wildly overpaid on its current media contract? If you are right, and Big Tech is not joining the fray, than by the time UConn is vested as a full member, the Big 12 media rights will be declining.
I agree that at some cost, big tech will enter the live sports frey, but at a price point that makes sense. They, especially Apple, won’t over pay for the pac 12.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I can point to reasons outside of leaving the big east as to why all of those programs floundered. Correlation doesn’t equal causation

I'm sure you can, but I don't buy it. Pitt was one of the best programs in the country, then when they joined the ACC they immediately fell off. From 2002 until 2011, Pitt was a top 4 seed in eight of the next ten years. Then they announced they were going to the ACC, and they stopped getting the same recruits. They made the tournament 3 of the next 5 seasons and we're seeded 8, 9, and 10 in those tournaments they made. Then they completely fell off the map even though they made more money and could hire anyone they wanted. Syracuse made a miracle final four run one year, but their teams were consistently mediocre pretty much every year after they joined the ACC. Look at the NCAA tournament seeds...when you can't pitch recruits on MSG anymore, the recruiting is going to take a hit.

Reaction Score
With all due respect, get your brain checked

Reaction Score
At the end of this you have to think the Big 12 ends up with 20 teams and several more in the eastern part of the country. Prob split up in 2 divisions. Prob with some ACC and current BE teams sprinkled in. ACC implodes and we are left with 3 major conferences.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
SU made a recent F4 and Boeheim hung around too long. PITT made the tourney this year and got bounced early which was their pinnacle under Dixon. Pitt Football is doing well. I have more faith in the UConn administration than you do. The Big East isn't magic. UConn's success will hinge on who they hire as coaches. You can hire better people when you have more money to work with.

I have faith in UConn, and I have faith in Hurley, but Hurley wasn't winning national championships when he was coaching at URI. He put together some nice squads, but he wasn't able to recruit good enough players to win it all. He can do it here, with this program in this conference. He has sold guys on this league and on playing in MSG every March. Dixon's recruiting at Pitt fell off when he couldn't pitch that, and so did Boeheim's.

I get that you're a football guy and that this is a no-brainer for football. I also get that the university is most likely going to accept an invite if it's offered, and that financially makes sense. It doesn't mean that I have to like it or think it'll be a good thing for the basketball program.

Reaction Score
Who exactly are the rivalries in the big east?
Marquette? Depaul? Creighton? Surely not Providence. That game was a filler in the old Big East. Georgetown was a rivalry, but it's been the dregs of the league for a while now. Ed Cooley really wasn't all that impressive at Providence for people to think he will suddenly elevate Georgetown into a significant program. St. John's? I think there's some hope there given that Pitino is an excellent coach and he appears to have access to significant NIL money, but that's speculative, not an existing rivalry.
The BET is magical. For whatever reason, msg on those weekend, is amazing . That’s what the crowd doesn’t want to give up.

Reaction Score
Maybe their HC, but overall, staff spending i doubt it.

And i agree that was the right move. But if the plan is fund football like they did in the Edsall 2.0 years, they might as well shut it down. Since they didn't shut it down, i have to assume it was for a potential move like this one.
You can't compare a basketball staff with a football staff. It's a few guys compared to a bunch of guys.

Of course they can't fund it like they did with Edsall 2.0, everything about that was a joke and the biggest joke was bringing back Randy.

Reaction Score
I have faith in UConn, and I have faith in Hurley, but Hurley wasn't winning national championships when he was coaching at URI. He put together some nice squads, but he wasn't able to recruit good enough players to win it all. He can do it here, with this program in this conference. He has sold guys on this league and on playing in MSG every March. Dixon's recruiting at Pitt fell off when he couldn't pitch that, and so did Boeheim's.

I get that you're a football guy and that this is a no-brainer for football. I also get that the university is most likely going to accept an invite if it's offered, and that financially makes sense. It doesn't mean that I have to like it or think it'll be a good thing for the basketball program.
Small correction. Before i was "FB guy" i was a middle school kid that fell in love with the NIT championship team that featured guys like Jeff King and Rob Spider Ursery. I follow UConn in all sports whenever i can. Hockey in espn+, using the browser on my amazon fire silk browser to watch baseball UConn+. So, i don't consider myseld just a FB guy. I watched Kerry Bascom lead UConn to the final four against Dawn Staley and Virginia.

In my heart i feel moving to the Big12 not because I'm a football guy, but because I'm a UConn guy.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score

Hurley also said he would like to coach in the NBA someday. We can’t make long term plans around any one individual.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Didn't we just lose a local recruit to the Big 12?

Reaction Score
Kentucky:
Calipari $8.5M
Stoops: $8.6M

Kansas:
Self $5.7M
Leipold $5M

Pretty equal. I'd imagine overall they spend more on football coaching salaries because the staff is like 5x the size of a basketball staff.
UConn's coaching salaries are pretty low compared to most P5 teams. Hell, isn't Hurley one of the lower paid coaches in the Big East? He needs a huge raise
Self makes way more than $5 million, he's around $10 million. Duke's football coach makes like $2.7 million, coach K was making $10 million years ago.

Hurley will definitely get a raise.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Small correction. Before i was "FB guy" i was a middle school kid that fell in love with the NIT championship team that featured guys like Jeff King and Rob Spider Ursery. I follow UConn in all sports whenever i can. Hockey in espn+, using the browser on my amazon fire silk browser to watch baseball UConn+. So, i don't consider myseld just a FB guy. I watched Kerry Bascom lead UConn to the final four against Dawn Staley and Virginia.

In my heart i feel moving to the Big12 not because I'm a football guy, but because I'm a UConn guy.

It wasn't meant to be insulting, you post a lot on the football board and I can't recall you posting much on this board outside of this thread. I'm not saying you don't care about basketball, but it sure seems like football is the sport you're most invested in.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I'm sure you can, but I don't buy it. Pitt was one of the best programs in the country, then when they joined the ACC they immediately fell off. From 2002 until 2011, Pitt was a top 4 seed in eight of the next ten years. Then they announced they were going to the ACC, and they stopped getting the same recruits. They made the tournament 3 of the next 5 seasons and we're seeded 8, 9, and 10 in those tournaments they made. Then they completely fell off the map even though they made more money and could hire anyone they wanted. Syracuse made a miracle final four run one year, but their teams were consistently mediocre pretty much every year after they joined the ACC. Look at the NCAA tournament seeds...when you can't pitch recruits on MSG anymore, the recruiting is going to take a hit.
Are there any Northeast schools that left the Big East and have done well in their new conference?

Reaction Score
It wasn't meant to be insulting, you post a lot on the football board and I can't recall you posting much on this board outside of this thread. I'm not saying you don't care about basketball, but it sure seems like football is the sport you're most invested in.
I love basketball. I don't post much on the bball board cause i feel it is more prone to johnny come latelies that love a winner. The types that dump UConn and leave it for dead when they struggle in the AAC. If you drag ass to The Rent to watch them get curb stomped by Purdue 59-0, with a coaching staff thay doesn't care, well that's a different type of fandom. Yes this idot stayed to the end.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I agree that at some cost, big tech will enter the live sports frey, but at a price point that makes sense. They, especially Apple, won’t over pay for the pac 12.

It won't be overpaying for Apple. Live sports will drive subscription revenue, and Apple in particular needs more content because unlike Max or ParamountPlus, Apple doesn't have decades of old content to sell. Apple wants to drive a stake into cable and the pure resellers like Sling and Fubo. Apple has basically been an entertainment and communications device company for two decades. Live sports will be harder to commoditize, but they can't be in the video business without it. I think they have to buy enough content to have a credible sports department.

I am not sure what the right move for ESPN is. At one point I got them trying to be a sports broadcasting monopoly, but now, who knows? Them being the only show in town for most of this century has covered up a lot of terrible decisions. They have spent 20 years trying to shrink the market for their college content, which doesn't make sense from a competitive or revenue standpoint. They have basically made themselves completely dependent on the SEC in the streaming era, which was both stupid and avoidable. Every time I think ESPN has made the stupidest decision possible, they top it with another one.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom