• Stay in the Big East

Votes: 251 38.6%
  • Are we there yet?

Votes: 94 14.5%

• Total voters

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Let me put this out there now, so no one tries to make this point to me again. The Big12 in this day and age is a fantastic Basketball league. No doubt. Best in country for the very recent past. All credit there.

We don't belong there.
Why don't we belong there? When you are done, please explain why Creighton belongs in the BE.

It doesnt' help OUR Basketball program at this frozen moment in time.
Call me silly but I personally believe that being able to increase the salaries that we pay to all members of our coaching staff, increasing our overall footprint for recruiting and increasing our recruiting budget can all be very beneficial to the basketball program.

A slightly different question for you as you are a parent. When your youngest outgrows her crib are you going to keep her in the crib or will you move her into something a little bigger? One reality that nobody has brought up is that we have outgrown the BE, a while ago. It was unfortunate that when it happened the first time (there was a time when we won as many basketball national titles for the conference as all other members combined) a few schools found a bigger home while we were stuck in what was basically a wasteland. We came back and it didn't take long for us to outgrow the conference again.

Regardless of how many times you throw out AAC 2.0 the fact remains that the B-12 is a vastly superior conference than the AAC and as a men's basketball conference, is superior to the BE.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Why is it 50/50?

Seems to me if it was all about AD dollars that like a 6 to 1 Ratio of money from Big12 over BigEast should be a slam dunk, no?
Yes it should be, which is why I am so baffled at why anyone who truly wants what's best for the entirety of the school's athletic programs would be against it.

Reaction Score
We always have SOME facts though. Not blind. It’s why I supported AAC over C7 split last go around. But now I have those facts too.
You did? That surprises me, I was the one arguing against everyone about how much the AAC was going to suck back them. I would've guessed you were on that side.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
You did? That surprises me, I was the one arguing against everyone about how much the AAC was going to suck back them. I would've guessed you were on that side.
I did, honestly, and very hesitantly, but I did. I understood it, I understood why we needed to keep football afloat at the time, and it was so Helter Skelter in CR shakeup then ,we still had Louisville and Rutgers in with league with us, I was content in that wild west scenario to say "OK in a year or 2 someone, anyone, will take us". As soon as that became apparent that it was folly I was beating the BigEast Drum along with Nelson and You. I remember.

Reaction Score
It's about more than that. Pitt and Syracuse were our peers in basketball back when they left the Big East (putting the championships aside). Look what happened to their programs immediately after leaving. Syracuse has made a couple of Sweet 16s but their average team from 2013 on was markedly worse than what they were in the Big East. Pitt has been a disaster, and even before Jamie Dixon left they were markedly worse. I'm worried that isn't a coincidence.
Pitt in the ACC was a tournament team two of the last three years Dixon was with them

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
One potential benefit is that if UConn could be highly successful in Big 12 football, they would be more viable for eventual Big 10 expansion than any Big 12 school, except possibly Kansas (if they're successful). The Big 10 will not take any other current Big 12 schools.
I mean, sure. Technically true unless Colorado rejoins the Big XII. Kansas is a dark horse pick to win the league in football this year. Like UConn, finally found a coach. But the reality is that the Big XII has a GOR, and Washington and Oregon are just sitting there, AAU, huge followings for football, and travel partners for the LA schools.

The B1G is a pipe dream. It's not happening. Don't join the Big XII for that reason.

Reaction Score
It's about more than that. Pitt and Syracuse were our peers in basketball back when they left the Big East (putting the championships aside). Look what happened to their programs immediately after leaving. Syracuse has made a couple of Sweet 16s but their average team from 2013 on was markedly worse than what they were in the Big East. Pitt has been a disaster, and even before Jamie Dixon left they were markedly worse. I'm worried that isn't a coincidence.
SU made a recent F4 and Boeheim hung around too long. PITT made the tourney this year and got bounced early which was their pinnacle under Dixon. Pitt Football is doing well. I have more faith in the UConn administration than you do. The Big East isn't magic. UConn's success will hinge on who they hire as coaches. You can hire better people when you have more money to work with.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
. I have more faith in the UConn administration than you do.
But isnt your whole argument during the last 10 years is that the administration screwed up Football decisions?

Reaction Score
I wouldn't call anyone a moron but its clear some here view the FB program as a problem they'd rather do without. If there was no FB program, this wouldn't be an issue. But to operate FB like they did those Edsall 2.0 years, was an abomination. Edsall had no buyout and his assistants were paid in Big Y tokens.
That’s called a bargain but not a good value

Reaction Score
UConn isn't in any way unique in that regard. Schools who are dominant in one program have fanbases who are obsessed with that one program. It's the same thing with Kansas, Kentucky, Bama etc. If Uconn, Kansas, Kentucky have good football teams fans support it and same for Bama basketball but it will never be like their go to program and nobody really gives a shart about any sports other than football and basketball at the college level.
Where UConn is unique is that they are willing to spend more on BB than on FBS FB. Talking coaches here not scholarship costs which we have been told "are not real". How many programs do we think this happens at where a BB coaching staff makes more than a FB coaching staff? If im wrong on the numbers i stand corrected.

Reaction Score
But isnt your whole argument during the last 10 years is that the administration screwed up Football decisions?
You tell me? They allocated most of their resources to BB. And it was the RIGHT move because here we are with a chance to get into the P5 cause basketball is excellent and FB has shown that with greater resources like the BE BCS days they can be competitive. Getting demoted to the G5 killed all momentum. The school was caught TOTALLY flat footed and we know this from the Paul Pendergast emails to Sue Herbst.

Reaction Score
I think there is a material chance that the Pac 12 is playing footsie with the Big 12 to shake a better offer out of Apple, and if they get it, Colorado is not going anywhere. In fact, the Pac 12 calls to the big 12 will start going the other direction.
You keep mentioning Apple. apple will not over pay for college football. They are more likely to buyout Paramount and absorb their sports rights.

Reaction Score
Where UConn is unique is that they are willing to spend more on BB than on FBS FB. Talking coaches here not scholarship costs which we have been told "are not real". How many programs do we think this happens at where a BB coaching staff makes more than a FB coaching staff? If im wrong on the numbers i stand corrected.
Thank god they do. UConn basketball is the best program in the country and the pro team for the state of CT. It's a huge point of pride and we've all seen 5 national championships because of it. I also love UConn football but they'll never win a national championship no matter how much they spend.

I would imagine the other dominant basketball schools like Kansas, Kentucky, Duke etc. spend more on their basketball coach than their football coach.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You keep mentioning Apple. apple will not over pay for college football. They are more likely to buyout Paramount and absorb their sports rights.

One of two things are going to happen. Either Big Tech will get into the sports media game, and which case everyone else is going to lose, or Big Tech stays out of the sports media game, in which case we are at the high point for media rights in broadcast history, and there is only one way for them to go. If it is the latter, why would UConn jump leagues to the Big 12, which by any objective measure seems to be wildly overpaid on its current media contract? If you are right, and Big Tech is not joining the fray, than by the time UConn is vested as a full member, the Big 12 media rights will be declining.

Reaction Score
One of two things are going to happen. Either Big Tech will get into the sports media game, and which case everyone else is going to lose, or Big Tech stays out of the sports media game, in which case we are at the high point for media rights in broadcast history, and there is only one way for them to go. If it is the latter, why would UConn jump leagues to the Big 12, which by any objective measure seems to be wildly overpaid on its current media contract? If you are right, and Big Tech is not joining the fray, than by the time UConn is vested as a full member, the Big 12 media rights will be declining.
Therefore we should stay with a declining price of a lesser media deal?

Reaction Score
Who exactly are the rivalries in the big east?
Marquette? Depaul? Creighton? Surely not Providence. That game was a filler in the old Big East. Georgetown was a rivalry, but it's been the dregs of the league for a while now. Ed Cooley really wasn't all that impressive at Providence for people to think he will suddenly elevate Georgetown into a significant program. St. John's? I think there's some hope there given that Pitino is an excellent coach and he appears to have access to significant NIL money, but that's speculative, not an existing rivalry.
The BE for life crew always point out the struggles of SU and Pitt in the ACC, yet they have both had a shot ton more success in the ACC than GTwon and St. JOHN'S in the Big East. You don't hear a peep about that though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom