• We got no choice

Votes: 305 46.9%
  • Stay in the Big East

Votes: 251 38.6%
  • Are we there yet?

Votes: 94 14.5%

• Total voters

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Cool graphic. Took me a while to figure out the lone Independent program.

UCLA surprises me. Normally the Land Grant schools have a strong agricultural school (or did).

Reaction Score
Is Land Grant an important thing in all of this? I don't really know why it's a significant part of the discussion.

Reaction Score
College athletics will be irrelevant if that happens. There is no way that graduates of one school that used to be at the highest level of college athletics will EVER remain fans of college sports if their school is prevented from competing at the highest level. Also, if college athletics looks too much like a minor league, the NFL and NBA will step in and just take it from the schools. There is no scenario in which 30 schools dominate a nationally followed college league in football or basketball.
There is no way NFL ever creates\takes over…..right now they have a free feeder system that gives them 3 years of info on players.

Reaction Score
UCLA surprises me. Normally the Land Grant schools have a strong agricultural school (or did).
Ag & mechanical sciences, military and other sciences. In California, Cal, UC Davis, Santa Barbara, San Diego, Riverside, other. In CT, originally Yale which still has a renowned forestry department, then transferred to CT Agricultural School (now UConn). A&M(echanical) and A&T(echnology) universities, e.g., aTm, NC A&T (HBCU Land Grant along with NC State), Alabama A&T. Plus, Cornell, and many xyz State universities, including some HBCUs.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
When Colorado bolted for the Pac-12 over a decade, they had a meeting with the same agenda.

Reaction Score
Is Land Grant an important thing in all of this? I don't really know why it's a significant part of the discussion.
There are 21 Land Grant U's between the B1G and SEC and only 12 between the Big East, Big XII, PAC 10, and ACC. It appears to be a fairly significant factor.

Reaction Score
There are 21 Land Grant U's between the B1G and SEC and only 12 between the Big East, Big XII, PAC 10, and ACC. It appears to be a fairly significant factor.
I would put much more emphasis on big state universities than I would on the land grant aspect of all this.

For instance, Virginia Tech. Many of the Cals (Surprised there are 2 of them since the whole system was really a 40s and 50s phenomenon). There are even some flagships like SUNY Buffalo that are not land grant.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I think if you're operating under the assumption that they want to go West and would only take us because they need another school to add with Colorado, that's a bad sign. We really don't want to be out on an island and if future expansion happens, have to start traveling even further west. We would probably need assurances that the future plans include adding teams on the east coast
How is anyone involved in CR in 2023 especially a loser like Big12 ( Texas and Oklahoma just left, and took cinci and UCF, so spare me the rebuttal) going to make assurances on ANYTHING?!

Reaction Score
I would put much more emphasis on big state universities than I would on the land grant aspect of all this.

For instance, Virginia Tech. Many of the Cals (Surprised there are 2 of them since the whole system was really a 40s and 50s phenomenon). There are even some flagships like SUNY Buffalo that are not land grant.
Very true, land grant or flagship. UNC, UVA, Michigan, Texas are prime examples.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There is no way NFL ever creates\takes over…..right now they have a free feeder system that gives them 3 years of info on players.

It is not free at all. College football leverages the fact that it is the NFL's minor league to generate billions of dollars for the colleges. Every dollar that goes to college football could be a dollar that would go to the NFL.

Reaction Score
They just added 4 schools that were 'out of the club'
Because they had no P5 options at the time and they were negotiating a TV deal. Now they have an entire Pac 12 to choose from. And in 2036 they’ll have half the ACC to pick from. We’re getting locked out

Reaction Score
Because they had no P5 options at the time and they were negotiating a TV deal. Now they have an entire Pac 12 to choose from. And in 2036 they’ll have half the ACC to pick from. We’re getting locked out
Exactly! All these anti Big 12 people need to realize the Big East is probably is UConn’s only option and always will be. In 20 years the Big East will be a very small fish in the big pond. All those threads of should we go or not and we were never a serious consideration.

Reaction Score
Yep. There will be at least 4 big conferences and what’s left for the 5th will be lot better than the AAC was. MWC probably gets to be pretty solid.
Could the PAC and MWC combine in some way? Guess it would depend on anyone paying for broadcasting. OSU & WSU probably a little nervous about the future.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Aaand this is why we needed to get an invite. Once you are out of the club, you are out forever. We’re screwed

Trammel has been unwavering in his dislike for our addition. Hopefully, his opinion is coloring his reporting.

In any event once again rule one slips in the play. If this were year three or four of the Jim Mora era, we might look more attractive.

Reaction Score
There is a negative stigma associated with UConn Football. Kansas and Duke have this a little too regardless of occasional success.

Reaction Score
I'm wondering how much it all matters right now. I don't think the BiG and SEC are anywhere near done with expansion and the PAC and ACC are going to feel the brunt of that. That throws everything up in the air for everyone outside those conferences. As time marches on to the termination date of the ACC's GOR I have to believe it becomes easier to address and settle that with the schools that want out.

This is far from over.

Reaction Score
One more thing.....

The Big 12 is going to have a tough go of it competing in football. Yes, I know that TCU just played in the championship, but I don't think that's sustainable. Texas is going to round up enormous resources for NIL and everyone else recruiting Texas will get whatever Texas passes on. Texas is going to figure it out and they will have the resources.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom