• Stay in the Big East

Votes: 251 38.6%
  • Are we there yet?

Votes: 94 14.5%

• Total voters

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
That make no sense at all. He join UCONN when we were in the AAC. He went on record in interviews that there were no Big East promises when he sign on. Besides the B12 is a heck of a basketball conference and will be able to stake their claim as the best basketball conference if they add UCONN.

Hurley came here from URI, he was in a much different position to take or not take a job. There were no promises, but I'm sure Hurley knew what the university's plan was. Compare that, the possibility of going to the Big East with his school throwing that away to ship us out to the Midwest...there's no way he stays, especially when he could take almost any other job he wants. And while that's true that he could do the same now, I believe the allure of UConn and the Big East is too much for him to walk away from for anything short of the NBA.

Reaction Score
The issue with this is that if ACC breaks up - big12 would invite those schools and they’d go for the $ rather than rejoin a reconstructed old BE. Then we’d really be screwed without any seats left
I’d think that if the ACC breaks up it would be because the Big 10 pillaged the pick of the litter like UNC, Virginia, Florida State, etc. The schools I mentioned probably would not be sought by the Big 10 for expansion purposes.

Reaction Score
It’s not what I want at all, but it’s what has to be done. The Big East will not remain a “Power” conference forever as the gap in money continues to grow. It just won’t.

When the ACC breaks up, Pitt will likely get an offer from the B12. Then we’d have a true rival. Maybe they’d throw in Syracuse too to get a true northeast contingent.

Reaction Score
Hurley came here from URI, he was in a much different position to take or not take a job. There were no promises, but I'm sure Hurley knew what the university's plan was. Compare that, the possibility of going to the Big East with his school throwing that away to ship us out to the Midwest...there's no way he stays, especially when he could take almost any other job he wants. And while that's true that he could do the same now, I believe the allure of UConn and the Big East is too much for him to walk away from for anything short of the NBA.
This is pure baseless speculation. You’ve not given one solid reason why he’d leave. Not one. He took over the job in the AAC. There was no BE guarantee.

He’s recruiting nationwide at this point. He’ll be fine. And if not? We’d have 20 million dollars extra per year to hire whomever we want

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Why? We’re recruiting kid from Seattle at this point. Hurley is w smart guy. He knows the BE isn’t a long term solution. Part of the B12 move would be to pay him and his staff

Hurley is a Northeast guy, a Big East guy. Our program has the perfect combination of being both a high-level brand in college basketball and a perfect cultural fit for Hurley. Take away cultural fit and there goes his incentive to stay.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Still 50/50 to stay? And we are peddling Hurley fears as a justification to stay?

I like Hurley, but if he gave any grief over moving I’d fire him now for a Big12 landing spot. And then use 5 of my extra 20m to find a replacement.

Reaction Score
For fans the answer is no
For the AD the answer is yes.
We can stay in the NBE and rack up wins. Or we can take the money and secure our long term future.
20 years from now there may not be an NCAA tournament as we know it, or even a BE conference. I say take the money and get a seat at the table.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Hurley is not at UConn because we’re in the BE

I get that he took the job 5 years ago when he was the coach at URI. If he had to choose at that time between UConn (playing games in East Cowfart, OK) or UNC, which job do you think he would have taken? That's what we're up against now.

I believe from having heard Hurley talk over the last few years that he finds the Big East special, and that allure means he wants to be here. Hell, he didn't get a contract extension this offseason after winning a national championship, and yet we didn't hear a peep about any school offering him a job. Why do you think that is?

Reaction Score
I get that he took the job 5 years ago when he was the coach at URI. If he had to choose at that time between UConn (playing games in East Cowfart, OK) or UNC, which job do you think he would have taken? That's what we're up against now.

I believe from having heard Hurley talk over the last few years that he finds the Big East special, and that allure means he wants to be here. Hell, he didn't get a contract extension this offseason after winning a national championship, and yet we didn't hear a peep about any school offering him a job. Why do you think that is?

Hurley thinks UCONN is special, and he is right.

Reaction Score
UConn made a mess of the Kevin Ollie firing because it was cash strapped. You know what solves those types of difficult situations from becoming embarrassing ones in the future? More revenue. Like the type you would get from joining the Big 12.

Reaction Score

I think you’re overthinking it by A LOT

Reaction Score
Kansas is nice, but I could not care less about playing the likes of Iowa St, Oklahoma St, TCU…
Forget those schools… imagine being in a conference with UCF (again) and BYU. I’d rather eat glass

Reaction Score
Hurley is a Northeast guy, a Big East guy. Our program has the perfect combination of being both a high-level brand in college basketball and a perfect cultural fit for Hurley. Take away cultural fit and there goes his incentive to stay.
Where would he go then?

Reaction Score
We would also be with WVU and Kansas. This is not the AAC all over again. 2 of the 7 Big East football schools would be in the league with us.

Cincy would be another familiar team and they have a proud basketball tradition. Houston is a terrific basketball program with a proud history. Baylor won a title just a few years ago. Jamie Dixon has TCU playing at a high level.

All of our away games would be in sold out arenas, no lifeless crowds like the AAC.

Reaction Score
I think we'd have to take the invite, but I'm skeptical it would go well for us. Travel is an underappreciated detriment to college basketball success. Traveling over 1,000 miles to a game can effectively double home court advantage for the opposition. There's a reason we basically never won at Tulsa or Houston or SMU. And the teams in the B12 are generally better. We'd rarely win on the road.

We were 0-6 against SMU on the road, 1-5 vs. Tulsa, and 1-5 vs. Houston.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think we'd have to take the invite, but I'm skeptical it would go well for us. Travel is an underappreciated detriment to college basketball success. Traveling over 1,000 miles to a game can effectively double home court advantage for the opposition. There's a reason we basically never won at Tulsa or Houston or SMU. And the teams in the B12 are generally better. We'd rarely win on the road.

We were 0-6 against SMU on the road, 1-5 vs. Tulsa, an 1-5 vs. Houston.
There are definitely benefits with the money but I think people are severely overlooking this aspect. Travel would actually be worse in this league than when we were in the aac as there would be no temple as a short road trip and there are even more texas teams. The season would be grueling, and I think that could potentially be detrimental to recruiting after some time.

Reaction Score
I think we'd have to take the invite, but I'm skeptical it would go well for us. Travel is an underappreciated detriment to college basketball success. Traveling over 1,000 miles to a game can effectively double home court advantage for the opposition. There's a reason we basically never won at Tulsa or Houston. And the teams in the B12 are generally better (outside of some new additions). We'd rarely win on the road.

We were 0-6 against SMU on the road, 1-5 vs. Tulsa, an 1-5 vs. Houston.
I probably wouldn't look too deeply into those AAC years but I 100% agree with your overall point, it wouldn't go well for us. If it were to happen we can brag about money being in the third best conference while it still exists but it wouldn't go well for basketball. If we care about winning and what makes UConn basketball so special be careful what you wish for.

Reaction Score
There are definitely benefits with the money but I think people are severely overlooking this aspect. Travel would actually be worse in this league than when we were in the aac as there would be no temple as a short road trip and there are even more texas teams. The season would be grueling, and I think that could potentially be detrimental to recruiting after some time.

and yet everyone is applauding the Gonzaga add to the schedule. Our road record in the Big East stunk last year and we won a title.

BTW I count only three bus rides in the Big East. Providence, S Hall and St Johns.

The difference between flying to Philadelphia and flying to WV is negligible.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would consider it a success for West Virginia. But that's besides the point because my larger point is I don't think when all the dominos fall we'd be a geographic outlier
I guess you could be right but I don’t know how many eastern teams the big 12 could realistically add? One other? 2?
If we were added tomorrow our travel would be worse than the AAC and even with a big check that travel wouldn’t be easy for the players

Reaction Score
It's 1 game one time vs. 9-10 every year.

So if we join the B12 we schedule more local out of conference games. Problem solved.

We currently have 7 flights per year in the Big East, lets not pretend its zero.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom