• Are we there yet?

Votes: 94 14.5%

• Total voters

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Click bait titles for 1000 please.
It's a legitimate thing.

The Big 12 appears hellbent on expanding whether it is P5 or G5 programs (reading between the lines of Ross Dellenger's piece).

If the Big 12 can't snag the Corner 4 from the Pac-12 or SDSU (who prefers the Pac-12), the three top remaining candidates for 2-3 spots (according to Dellenger) are UConn, Memphis, and UNLV.

Reaction Score
Would being an extreme geographical outlier negatively impact hoops?
There is more evidence that it’s not for the best more than just using cuse as an example
No I really don't think it would. And it wouldn't be a singular addition of UConn anyway. I think you can cherry pick evidence to show why it's not the best, but the overwhelming evidence is the opposite

Reaction Score
It’s surely a risk, I think I personally value a somewhat regional conference….if duke stayed with the cast of what’s left of the acc and we joined that league I would be happy…I feel like they along with us would help the conference be extremely relevant in hoops and they all play football at a level that is realistic for us.

That possible scenario league would be worth much less than the Big 12.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
That’s why I said the AAC on steroids. The geography is comparable with no regional rivals and losing a close venue in MSG for the conference tournament. Keep in mind Texas and Oklahoma are not part of the equation. Those are two big time NCAA brands.
WVU and Cincy are old Big East foes.

In football, if you schedule three of BC, Pitt, Army, Temple, or Syracuse during the non-conference and get to play WVU, UCF, and Cincy as your three permanent rivals, it's not a bad idea. We can still play Nova, Georgetown, Seton Hall, Providence, and St. John's yearly OOC if we want to in basketball.

Reaction Score
I get the money issue snd I agree it's near impossible to turn down but what happens if we move and then half the teams go to another conference a few years later. Then we are back to where we were and I doubt the Big East would take us back a 2nd time.

Reaction Score
No I really don't think it would. And it wouldn't be a singular addition of UConn anyway. I think you can cherry pick evidence to show why it's not the best, but the overwhelming evidence is the opposite
Really? Has west va ever won the big 12? Was cuse ever a 1 seed in the acc? Has bc ever been relevant? Pitt even in the early days lost their juice in the conference. What evidence would you point to suggesting that being a geographical outlier is beneficial?

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Here would be a prospective football schedule in the Big 12:
1. Sacred Heart (H)
2. Syracuse (A)
3. BC (H)
4. Texas Tech (A)
5. Iowa State (H)
6. Kansas (H)
7. Oklahoma State (A)
8. BYU (H)
9. UCF (A)
10. Cincy (H)
11. Houston (A)
12. WVU (H)

It's an upgrade in football for sure.

In basketball, our schedule could look like (if they go to 20 conference games with 14 teams):
OOC:
MTE, Nova, St. John's, Providence, 5 cupcakes
Kansas 2x
WVU 2x
Cincy 2x
BYU 2x
Houston 2x
UCF 2x
OSU 2x
KSU 1x
UNLV 1x (assuming we pair with them)
Iowa State 1x
Texas Tech 1x
Baylor 1x
TCU 1x

shizzle787

Reaction Score
I get the money issue snd I agree it's near impossible to turn down but what happens if we move and then half the teams go to another conference a few years later. Then we are back to where we were and I doubt the Big East would take us back a 2nd time.
Unlikely as none of these teams are wanted by the SEC or B1G. The only movement would be UConn, WVU, Cincy, and maybe UCF leaving to join the ACC leftovers.

Reaction Score

Every decision has risk, including staying in the big east. I’ll take the one with way more money top tier basketball and good football

Reaction Score
If it does happen, there would be some fun match ups on the basketball side with the Hurley brothers facing each other, a nice potential rivalry with the Jayhawks and Arizona.

On the football side, Oklahoma State, Baylor and Texas Tech are great games to look forward to.

Being in the 3rd best conference is not that bad

Last edited:

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
People saw the best AAC schools get invited to the B12 and determined it’s just the AAC all over again. Those people can only be described as lesser functioning humans.

Put it this way. In the AAC, ECU is ECU. In the B12, Iowa St is ECU. It’s a world of a difference, especially in basketball, where they currently have the best league. A new rivalry with Kansas would be born overnight, and don’t tell me that’s not exciting. Football and Baseball would be saved and made much more relevant to casual viewers. And that’s before getting into the 50 million dollars.

Anyone who says no has not thought about this hard enough.

Reaction Score
I’m really curious what Hurley and Geno REALLY think about BE vs B12. I think basketball only BE is better but for health of overall department- B12 is no brainer.

Where would u rather be if you were Hurley or Geno?

Reaction Score
Every other freaking university in the USA is saying that the $$$ are the most important thing. W T F !!!
Rutgers lost more money than ever with the big 10 checks flowing in. In a simplistic sense teams want more money, more money doesn’t equal success is the point I’m making….and as a fan success and interest are most important to me

Reaction Score
I’m really curious what Hurley and Geno REALLY think about BE vs B12. I think basketball only BE is better but for health of overall department- B12 is no brainer.

Where would u rather be if you were Hurley or Geno?
I think geno at his age would want less travel, but he’s probably not too worried about the distant future.

Reaction Score
Guys. If you are Benedict, Maric, and the Board of Trustees, there is zero chance they turn down an invite if the dollars are even remotely close to what they are. They have to act as fiduciaries of the institution.

Would I want to go to Big 12? Probably not. But the money isn't there any other way. UConn could sell out football and hoops games and still be at an operating deficit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom