Portal Thoughts Anyone? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Portal Thoughts Anyone?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The portal should just be made public or some kind of enforcement done to protect its confidentiality until the player decides to release that info.
Click on the tweet to be directed to the portal

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
None of us are Geno. None of us are on staff. Some are more knowledgeable than others. And none of us know what Geno is thinking or is doing.

And the threads about who's in the portal and who we need are absolutely crazy.

Not going to worry.

Reaction Score
I have no idea for these transfers- just going along with what everyone says and from what I read. I get for example Raegan Beers from Oregon State is impressive for the little I have seen. She reminds of that player from Minnesota player back in 03-04, Janel McCarville.

How about the below two: Raegan's teammate and The Kentuckian?

Timea Gardiner, Oregon State
Ajae Petty, Kentucky senior forward,

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Does anyone (other than I, I mean) sometimes think that the Portal itself-- but surely discussions about our players-- feels a little ungrateful about the team we already have? For me, it puts on display what we think are players' shortcomings (which we do a lot here, that's true), but also suggests that the team we have (assembled by Geno and co. for both the present and the future) isn't good enough. We need more. We want more.

When I look at this year's team, for instance, I couldn't have predicted that losing half of our team to injuries would still get us to the Final Four. The team that Geno assembled still got us there, even at 50%. That's a testament to the program Geno built, I believe.

I'm not blinded by my loyalty to the WBB team (OK, sometimes I am), but I do believe in both the players whom Geno gets and the teams that he builds. Wanting more and more feels a little like being the Fisherman's Wife, though-- to me-- and I don't want to seem ungrateful for what we have. Do I think there are teams that reload yearly with transfers (I'm looking at you, LSU especially)? I do. Has the Portal changed the landscape? Yes, along with the NIL money promised. But I want to be grateful for who we already have, either currently or coming up.

And I loved the addition of both Dorka and Lou, for sure, but both of those felt like good fortune falling into our laps, not something we grabbed for.

As @CTBballfan243 said above, things will work out.
UConn will have a great team next year, certain to be ranked top-3 or 4 in the pre-season polls. But there are lots of great teams out there, to say nothing of lots of high-impact high schoolers entering the college ranks. Having a great roster no longer guarantees you a championship. You have to have a dominant team. With slots available on his roster, that's what Geno is looking to build, and I don't have a problem with that. I'm tired of schools like SC and LSU vacuuming up all the top transfers. It's our time now.

Reaction Score
Does anyone (other than I, I mean) sometimes think that the Portal itself-- but surely discussions about our players-- feels a little ungrateful about the team we already have?
Not really- not for this year. UCONN has had 3 straight years of a ton of injuries. We have 4 of 5 players returning that have been for multiple years hurt not just 1. And the 1 returning is a freshman out-of-country that also is a guess to a degree. With so many injuries-multiple year injuries for 4 of the players- and so many unknowns - it just brings up the point "what if some players get hurt again", or don't return to form tey used to play at? It has nothing to do with the current players that have played. But the players returning that played this past season is five. With such a low number, how can you not speculate "for more?" Five is too little. These past 3 years have caused too much of a unique situation. No harm intended.

Reaction Score
I have no idea where Kiki Iriafen is going but I did notice there has been a pipeline of Stanford transfers to Notre Dame- Lili Thompson, Marta Sniezek, Maya Dodson and Jenna Brown.

Reaction Score
I have no idea where Kiki Iriafen is going but I did notice there has been a pipeline of Stanford transfers to Notre Dame- Lili Thompson, Marta Sniezek, Maya Dodson and Jenna Brown.
I'd say Notre Dame or UCLA are her most likely choices but as always I would be gloriously happy to be wrong.........

Reaction Score
That's what I was thinking. Wherever she goes I hope she can get her Stanford degree on the way out. She's only a junior and I'm sure a 3 year degree is more difficult at Stanford than some other places but if it's possible, I'm sure Iriafen will do it.

Reaction Score
UConn doesn't need the portal. They need to figure out what to feed the players they have that will make them immune to injury. The portal is poison to a great program and would do more harm than good at UConn.
You are absolutely wrong ! If you want to be one of the big dogs you must utilize the portal otherwise you will be left behind.

Reaction Score
So true that one doesn’t have to utilize the portal, but one should… ever since whenever the dam broke in the portal levee… champions use the portal. Zeus or what’s his name who try’s to run the NCAA doesn’t change things soon it is vital to play this part of the game, unfortunately. Like the lottery: can’t win if you don’t play.

Reaction Score
So true that one doesn’t have to utilize the portal, but one should… ever since whenever the dam broke in the portal levee… champions use the portal. Zeus or what’s his name who try’s to run the NCAA doesn’t change things soon it is vital to play this part of the game, unfortunately. Like the lottery: can’t win if you don’t play.
Please look at the model Hurley built. I think this is the right model for sustained excellence. Portal is and will be important going forward.

Reaction Score
Utilizing the portal, particularly after years of injuries to the players, is a very good move. It gives us a few new players who have experience and the desire to make it into the WNBA. It also gives the returning (injured) players time to ease back into form. Re-injuries need to be avoided as some of them risk to be career ending.

Reaction Score
Please look at the model Hurley built. I think this is the right model for sustained excellence. Portal is and will be important going forward.
I believe Geno & Hurley talk all the time and enjoy each other as well as are genuinely happy for each other's success in the Basketball Capitol of the UNIVERSE. Hopefully they have each other's back in using the portal wisely now and into the near future.

I believe they BOTH will have successful receptions [as opposed to interceptions or fumbles] from the portal in the next 36 hours, and over the course of the week following....

PvP

Reaction Score
Raegan Beers is this year's Dorka. Both with 2 years of eligibility and clear demonstrated excellence at the D1 level. If anything, Beers has a higher level of achievement as a 3rd team AA as a sophomore while Dorka was a two time All Big 10 designee. They are both dominant post players who provide guidance and support to younger post players.

Jana might be fine on her own but as a player with no experience at this level and having to deal with whatever rust or worse from not having been able to play any ball for what will be over a year, clearly we could use a player with proven ability in the post.

Indeed with Beers added to the Huskie roster, I believe we will be the dominant team from start to NC finish (with the unfortunately necessary no injury caveat!)

Just think how taking Dorka off the Transfer Portal (not to even mention Sweet Lou!) was the right move at the right time and it can happen again!

And, her reason for the transfer will not concern Geno as it is entirely understandable.

Reaction Score
Despite having a lot of talent already, Geno could use an experienced big like Dorka. However, it's not just the portal. It's a big world out there (no pun intended). Have the BY recruiting gurus combined the planet for recruits? UConn has impressive name recognition overseas, the best of any U.S. basketball school. UConn should look for opportunities to leverage that.

Before anyone mentions it, yes, I know foreign players probably won't have the level of experience of portal players.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Despite having a lot of talent already, Geno could use an experienced big like Dorka. However, it's not just the portal. It's a big world out there (no pun intended). Have the BY recruiting gurus combined the planet for recruits? UConn has impressive name recognition overseas, the best of any U.S. basketball school. UConn should look for opportunities to leverage that.

Before anyone mentions it, yes, I know foreign players probably won't have the level of experience of portal players.
Foreign players need to meet the same requirements as U.S. players as far as registering as a scholar-athlete with the NCAA clearinghouse, meet academic requirements, etc. Geno can’t just bring one in spur of the moment. Even walk-ons need to meet academic requirements. Ines was able to come because she had been accepted at a JUCO that meets NCAA standards

Reaction Score
Kiki Iriafen just entered the portal with a Do Not Contact Mark. Major Transfer. She picked Stanford over Baylor, UCLA, Notre Dame and Uconn. So, maybe this is hers and our time for the relationship to start?

Reaction Score
Geno and staff will decide who we need. He is savvy enough to know how to use the portal to his benefit. This is new to all of us, but many teams are using it to get a leg up.
Barring injuries, if you've recruited the right team in the first place, you don't need the portal. When people are clamoring for specific portal needs, it's a passive aggressive way of besmirching Geno and Co. and implying they haven't done their jobs correctly in the first place. When you already have Cam Spencer on the current roster, there is no need to go get another Cam Spencer. I do think Geno has whiffed on a true post who wants to stay in the post, bang, make bunnies, and rebound. That's why Beers would be a crucial get.

Reaction Score
Barring injuries, if you've recruited the right team in the first place, you don't need the portal. When people are clamoring for specific portal needs, it's a passive aggressive way of besmirching Geno and Co. and implying they haven't done their jobs correctly in the first place. When you already have Cam Spencer on the current roster, there is no need to go get another Cam Spencer. I do think Geno has whiffed on a true post who wants to stay in the post, bang, make bunnies, and rebound. That's why Beers would be a crucial get.

"Barring injuries" is doing a lot of work in your post.

Reaction Score
Far be it from us to besmirch Geno and Co. :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom