Portal Thoughts Anyone? | The Boneyard

Portal Thoughts Anyone?

Reaction Score
Would like to have your thoughts re whether Geno will be looking thru the Portal after the tournament and, more to precisely, what he might be looking for............

Reaction Score
1712017139226.jpeg

This portal?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Amoore from GT ..but of course we have no room .. so wishful thinking
There is one scholarship available at the moment.

And I don't think that the coaching staff will use it on another 3 point shooter with only 1 year of eligibility.

Reaction Score
You have to wait until everything clears after the season to figure out how many openings. They are still playing games, there is no need to rush.

Reaction Score
Idk if Lee from K-St declared, but if she’s in the portal, I hope Geno snags heC
Certainly among the top names you might hope winds up in the portal, if Sarah doesn't choose us. I had been in the camp that preferred a portal big to Emily Rodriquez, partly based on her not being highly ranked (yet) and partly because she appeared to be more of a wing.

Now learning who is on her final 5 list, I am more confident she is a top talent despite the lack of ratings, perhaps due to not having AAU exposure. The position need is still an issue, however, so I might prefer Emily to a pretty good but not great portal big, but if someone like Lee was available even for one year, that might be a better choice. We still need a proven big next year IMO.

Right now the players from BU and Marquette look like the best fit bigs currently available, and yes two guards from VT and Princeton are the current big names in the portal, but I think we would need another roster spot to become available for that of interest to us now.

Reaction Score
When Cardoso entered the portal a couple of seasons ago, I suggested that Geno, book her. He didn't, and the phlegmatic Brazilian got an infusion of oomph to become a dominant center. SC hasn't had many of those. I do wonder if and when Dawn runs out of bigs, her teams will revert to the norm. With Aja and/or Boston, UConn would be looking toward 20 NCs.

Reaction Score
UConn doesn't need the portal. They need to figure out what to feed the players they have that will make them immune to injury. The portal is poison to a great program and would do more harm than good at UConn.

Reaction Score
When Cardoso entered the portal a couple of seasons ago, I suggested that Geno, book her. He didn't, and the phlegmatic Brazilian got an infusion of oomph to become a dominant center. SC hasn't had many of those. I do wonder if and when Dawn runs out of bigs, her teams will revert to the norm. With Aja and/or Boston, UConn would be looking toward 20 NCs.

How do you know he didn't?

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Currently there is no room at the end.
Why are saying this? As of this moment, there's 1 scholarship available for next year.
Caveat: I haven't seen any UConn news today, so...

Centerstream

Reaction Score
1 spot available and if Sarah Strong doesn't choose UConn now after tonight's performance I don't know what she's thinking!
I would hope that any decision that she makes public wouldn't come this week. This week should be about the current roster with no unnecessary outside distractions. IMO.
If I'm not mistaken, the official signing period is still two weeks away.

Reaction Score
Of course, there's Chen from Princeton with that one year remaining. But Connecticut does, without doubt, need to adapt to the new world of transfers, and get ahead of the game. That might also mean doing what the Big Five leagues are doing, and get boosters to (legally) provide NIL opportunities and guaranteed cash to come to UConn.

It's a new world, kids need the cash, and our coaching staff need to adjust.

Reaction Score
Of course, there's Chen from Princeton with that one year remaining. But Connecticut does, without doubt, need to adapt to the new world of transfers, and get ahead of the game. That might also mean doing what the Big Five leagues are doing, and get boosters to (legally) provide NIL opportunities and guaranteed cash to come to UConn.

It's a new world, kids need the cash, and our coaching staff need to adjust.
Absolutely NIL has changed the complete landscape of college sports and you better get with the times or get left behind .. look at college football qb’s some of them are in the portal by halftime if you don’t play them not literally .. .. you don’t think Hailey Van Lith and Morrow had someone in their ears before their seasons ended with their teams ? Just sayin

Reaction Score
UConn doesn't need the portal. They need to figure out what to feed the players they have that will make them immune to injury. The portal is poison to a great program and would do more harm than good at UConn.
UConn has had two wonderful additions with Dorka and Lou recently not sure how you call that poison? IMO the portal is a great tool to fine tune your squad.

Reaction Score
Some players on our team may be smart enough to be on academic scholarships! Not clear that every player needs to be on a basketball scholarship. The Coach and staff have to evaluate the physical/emotional state and prognosis of returning players to plan out a strategy for the year ahead.

If a recruited player is receiving any scholarship money of any kind, then they count against the 15 – scholarship limit.

It doesn’t matter if they are receiving academic scholarships, need-based scholarships, athletic scholarships, or some kind of special scholarship. It’s all the same when a recruited basketball player is receiving them.

Reaction Score
Maybe Geno didn’t get a chance at snagging her bc Dawn Staley got to her first. I also think she fits much better in SCAR’s system, than she would have at UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom