Portal Thoughts Anyone? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Portal Thoughts Anyone?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I fear on the breaching of speculation but two interesting items that have hit the news cycle was 1. Scott Rueck job speculation 2. Raegan Beers portal speculation.

Without a doubt, the top big available would be Raegan if she entered the portal, plus she would have 2 years of eligibility and is a proven player against big time competition and is athletic enough to help UConn immediately while improving her own game. But until we see something happen either with Rueck or Raegan, we have no true options in my opinion to help us. We don't need Chen or Hsu next year given our gluttony of PGs and shooting guards. Sarah is not a Post player but more of a wing so Sarah doesn't help Jana.

Honestly, the only Big that helped their team immediately as a freshman was Aliyah Boston, most bigs take 2 or 3 years, I think our board gets to0 carried away in their thinking first year front court players can come in and dominate-they can't. Jana and Sarah (if she comes) will be key contributors but not the extent we need to make a strong run for an NCAA Title.

Reaction Score
Sarah is not a Post player but more of a wing so Sarah doesn't help Jana.

Dorka Juhasz lined up outside the 3-point line much of the time. She was not a wing - she was the center.

Defensive assignments define a players "position" more than offensive capabilities these days. I admit I have not seen a ton of Sarah Strong's play, but I do not imagine her defending against all that many "small forwards" to Geno's satisfaction.

Reaction Score
Six players injured. Four of the six had surgery. Two of the six, has neurological issues. Ice, Q, Shade and KK still babies and still a few unknowns. Two wing freshman that I'm sure Geno doesn't want to need right away. Which leaves us with one reliable player who has had injuries that has required surgeries in the past.

I would say portal use only, for an experienced, mobile space eater, that can maybe fill in til Jana and Ayanna get acclimated to the game. Or an experienced PG that can Back up KK as she is prone to foul Trouble and too safeguard against the sophomore curse. PG also could help with less minutes for Paige.

Paige
KK
Ice
Shade
?

Aubrey
Caroline
Fudd
Jana
Ayanna
Q

Deberry
Morgan
Allie

Reaction Score
Six players injured. Four of the six had surgery. Two of the six, has neurological issues. Ice, Q, Shade and KK still babies and still a few unknowns. Two wing freshman that I'm sure Geno doesn't want to need right away. Which leaves us with one reliable player who has had injuries that has required surgeries in the past.

I would say portal use only, for an experienced, mobile space eater, that can maybe fill in til Jana and Ayanna get acclimated to the game. Or an experienced PG that can Back up KK as she is prone to foul Trouble and too safeguard against the sophomore curse. PG also could help with less minutes for Paige.

Paige
KK
Ice
Shade
?

Aubrey
Caroline
Fudd
Jana
Ayanna
Q

Deberry
Morgan
Allie
You're missing Inês.

Reaction Score
When Cardoso entered the portal a couple of seasons ago, I suggested that Geno, book her. He didn't, and the phlegmatic Brazilian got an infusion of oomph to become a dominant center. SC hasn't had many of those. I do wonder if and when Dawn runs out of bigs, her teams will revert to the norm. With Aja and/or Boston, UConn would be looking toward 20 NCs.
Geno had just accepted Dorka at that time.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Dorka Juhasz lined up outside the 3-point line much of the time. She was not a wing - she was the center.

Defensive assignments define a players "position" more than offensive capabilities these days. I admit I have not seen a ton of Sarah Strong's play, but I do not imagine her defending against all that many "small forwards" to Geno's satisfaction.
Huh? Dorka was 6'5" and played in the post on defense against the other teams big. Sarah at 6'2" is simply not going to be able to do that. On offense, Dorka herself complained to Geno about how she was being used/misused and the UConn system uses a "high post" set up with the big or bigs at the foul line to take passes, set picks and screens. Dorka did this. Sarah is could do this but is not in her best interest or our best interest to fit this round peg into a square hole. So I have no idea what the heck you are talking about as from a both offensive perspective and defensive perspective, UConn has dominated with 6'4 or 6'5 post play like Tina Charles, Stef Dolson, Breanna Stewart than with smaller players.

Reaction Score
How about we enjoy this victory! They players are still celebrating on the floor. Sheesh.

It has been written, The Boneyard....... never sleeps....we must soldier onward, always. :p

Reaction Score
UConn doesn't need the portal. They need to figure out what to feed the players they have that will make them immune to injury. The portal is poison to a great program and would do more harm than good at UConn.
Wouldn’t consider Dorka, Lou2 or Evina “poison”, but agree that working with what we already have and smart recruiting would be preferable.
It would take someone REALLY overwhelming for Geno to fish on that lake.
But we know Geno trusts his own instincts and judgement and is willing to be overwhelmed.

Reaction Score
Huh? Dorka was 6'5" and played in the post on defense against the other teams big. Sarah at 6'2" is simply not going to be able to do that. On offense, Dorka herself complained to Geno about how she was being used/misused and the UConn system uses a "high post" set up with the big or bigs at the foul line to take passes, set picks and screens. Dorka did this. Sarah is could do this but is not in her best interest or our best interest to fit this round peg into a square hole. So I have no idea what the heck you are talking about as from a both offensive perspective and defensive perspective, UConn has dominated with 6'4 or 6'5 post play like Tina Charles, Stef Dolson, Breanna Stewart than with smaller players.

And who is the 4 this year in UConn's offensive alignment? Are they stuck in the high/low post?

Now do defense: She will be an absolute liability against smaller players and any switching will make the matter worse.

Reaction Score
UConn has had two wonderful additions with Dorka and Lou recently not sure how you call that poison? IMO the portal is a great tool to fine tune your squad.
So true! There is DNA tracings on almost every team since the free agency portal has opened years ago. SC won its first Natty back when it was sitting out a year, Baylor, LSU, etc.

Reaction Score
Where would they fit? I don't see Geno picking up a transfer unless she plays like Stewie or Stefanie.

Reaction Score
Does anyone (other than I, I mean) sometimes think that the Portal itself-- but surely discussions about our players-- feels a little ungrateful about the team we already have? For me, it puts on display what we think are players' shortcomings (which we do a lot here, that's true), but also suggests that the team we have (assembled by Geno and co. for both the present and the future) isn't good enough. We need more. We want more.

When I look at this year's team, for instance, I couldn't have predicted that losing half of our team to injuries would still get us to the Final Four. The team that Geno assembled still got us there, even at 50%. That's a testament to the program Geno built, I believe.

I'm not blinded by my loyalty to the WBB team (OK, sometimes I am), but I do believe in both the players whom Geno gets and the teams that he builds. Wanting more and more feels a little like being the Fisherman's Wife, though-- to me-- and I don't want to seem ungrateful for what we have. Do I think there are teams that reload yearly with transfers (I'm looking at you, LSU especially)? I do. Has the Portal changed the landscape? Yes, along with the NIL money promised. But I want to be grateful for who we already have, either currently or coming up.

And I loved the addition of both Dorka and Lou, for sure, but both of those felt like good fortune falling into our laps, not something we grabbed for.

As @CTBballfan243 said above, things will work out.

Reaction Score
When will coaches make a decision ?
The first question is when will the coaches make an offer. The second one is when will the recruits make a decision. It's not like the WNBA draft where a team picks the best fit or the best available player, and then the player is more or less obligated to show up.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
This business of unconfirmed reports on Youtube, twitter and anonymous bloggers who are supposedly insiders is out of control. Mostly just trolls looking to stir things up and get attention.

Reaction Score
This business of unconfirmed reports on Youtube, twitter and anonymous bloggers who are supposedly insiders is out of control. Mostly just trolls looking to stir things up and get attention.
The portal should just be made public or some kind of enforcement done to protect its confidentiality until the player decides to release that info.

Reaction Score
I once said that if we get Sarah Strong we don't need the portal. I'd like to revize that view at argue the we should grab Raegan Beers if we can. Go Huskies

Reaction Score
Does anyone (other than I, I mean) sometimes think that the Portal itself-- but surely discussions about our players-- feels a little ungrateful about the team we already have? For me, it puts on display what we think are players' shortcomings (which we do a lot here, that's true), but also suggests that the team we have (assembled by Geno and co. for both the present and the future) isn't good enough. We need more. We want more.

When I look at this year's team, for instance, I couldn't have predicted that losing half of our team to injuries would still get us to the Final Four. The team that Geno assembled still got us there, even at 50%. That's a testament to the program Geno built, I believe.

I'm not blinded by my loyalty to the WBB team (OK, sometimes I am), but I do believe in both the players whom Geno gets and the teams that he builds. Wanting more and more feels a little like being the Fisherman's Wife, though-- to me-- and I don't want to seem ungrateful for what we have. Do I think there are teams that reload yearly with transfers (I'm looking at you, LSU especially)? I do. Has the Portal changed the landscape? Yes, along with the NIL money promised. But I want to be grateful for who we already have, either currently or coming up.

And I loved the addition of both Dorka and Lou, for sure, but both of those felt like good fortune falling into our laps, not something we grabbed for.

As @CTBballfan243 said above, things will work out.
And if Auriemma decides to bring in 1 or 2 transfers this spring, doesn't that indicate that he believes he needs and wants more also? And then, because he's the one who decided he needed more and assembled the team this way, you'll be OK with it right?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom