PAIGE ESPN Player Of The Year | Page 3 | The Boneyard

PAIGE ESPN Player Of The Year

Reaction Score
Can any of the stats gurus tell me how often does the epsn player of the year go on to win the other national player of the year awards?

Appears Jewell Loyd won the 2014-15 ESPN Player of the Year (source) but Breanna Stewart swept the official awards.

Majority of seasons the NPOY is unanimous.

Since 2003-04 when the Women's Wooden Award was introduced making 4 major awards (Wooden, Naismith, Wade and USBWA):
  • Player won 4 out of 4 (10 out of 17)
    • 2004-05 Augustus
    • 2008-09 Moore
    • 2010-11 Moore
    • 2011-12 Griner
    • 2012-13 Griner
    • 2014-15 Stewart
    • 2015-16 Stewart
    • 2016-17 Plum
    • 2017-18 Wilson
    • 2019-20 Ionescu
  • Player won 3 out of 4 (5 out of 17)
    • 2003-04 Beard
    • 2005-06 Augustus
    • 2006-07 Parker
    • 2007-08 Parker
    • 2009-10 Charles
  • Player won 2 out of 4 (2 out of 17)
    • 2013-14 Stewart
    • 2018-19 Ionescu & Gustafson

Reaction Score
It should be a clear choice - no one has a better all-around game than Paige. Look at her stats, look at her leadership, look at her "clutch" factor, look at how she makes her teammates better.

Reaction Score
Two cents why: HUGE state school 60,000 students? commuter school in the highly populated part of MD. "urban institution". no cute downtown. Route 1 (yes that route 1) runs on the outskirts of campus, where the bars are, and continues into D.C. (road becomes Rhode Island Avenue). School's reputation has improved. When I went there, the admissions office grabbed your wrist and checked for a pulse if you lived in-state. Not sure how fun it is.
Minutes from DC, a few more minutes to Baltimore- you'd think the teams would be better, especially the men.
1970's Men were led by Lefty Driesell. He could sell you beach property in AZ. Gary Williams caught lightening in a bottle with a group of second tier recruits from Baltimore City.

Reaction Score
Stanford and SC could have a good argument about who the best recruiter is, at least for the last five seasons.
possible yes, but what individual coach has recruited as well as GA has over the last 30 years?

Reaction Score
I don't care so much about individual awards and I doubt GA cares either.

I have no idea who should win the coach of the year award but I do know that GA has 2 players who were number one in their class and one is a generational talent. They are a bit young but GA still has some amazing talent from the HS Level. He also has maybe two top 5 recruits and several other top recruits so this is probably why he didn't win the award. Most coaches would die for what GA has, but they can't recruit like him. He is hands down, the best recruiter ever and certainly a top coach year in and year out. Possibly, the best coach of his generation as well. We are very, very lucky to have him!
Lol, that is what used to be called “ damning with faint praise.” Not criticizing, just amused. I do have a favor if it’s not too much work. Can someone explain how to get the little emojis?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Lol, that is what used to be called “ damning with faint praise.” Not criticizing, just amused. I do have a favor if it’s not too much work. Can someone explain how to get the little emojis?
When you are typing your post you will notice at the top there is letters for B for Bold and others go to the right, in the middle where what looks like a photo there are three dots. Click on the dots and you will see the smiley face, click on that and you have the emojis. :)

Reaction Score
Two cents why: HUGE state school 60,000 students? commuter school in the highly populated part of MD. "urban institution". no cute downtown. Route 1 (yes that route 1) runs on the outskirts of campus, where the bars are, and continues into D.C. (road becomes Rhode Island Avenue). School's reputation has improved. When I went there, the admissions office grabbed your wrist and checked for a pulse if you lived in-state. Not sure how fun it is.
Minutes from DC, a few more minutes to Baltimore- you'd think the teams would be better, especially the men.
1970's Men were led by Lefty Driesell. He could sell you beach property in AZ. Gary Williams caught lightening in a bottle with a group of second tier recruits from Baltimore City.
Yes, the school's reputation has improved and if you are trying to get into a popular major, you have a hard time getting in if you are an in state student. Seems like they prefer the revenue from the out of state students. That's why my son is at George Mason and not College Park. Now, to be honest, he also liked the George Mason program better, but my bank account sure doesn't. ;) Sorry for the thread hijack.

As to the campus itself, it's beautiful, but the surrounding area can be a little sketchy. It's basically an urban school at this point.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
When you are typing your post you will notice at the top there is letters for B for Bold and others go all the way to the right where nest to what looks like a photo there are three dots. Click on the dots and you will see the smiley face, click on that and you have the emojis. :)
You forgot to mention the fee and limitations associated with the use of these emojis. 15 BY Points per use and the limit of no more than 7 in anyone calendar fortnight.

Reaction Score
well I think it was 'big praise with faint damning'.... He is a great recruiter, gets the best players and is therefore expected to win every year. It comes with the territory. I think he probably understands and accepts that.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Maybe you mean these guys below the main emojis;

1615591073162.png

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Definitely vote for Paige for Naismith. Paige will not sweep the awards because she is not eligible to win the Wade Trophy.

Wade Trophy Criteria (in order of priority):

1. NCAA Division I basketball player (sophomore, junior or senior)

Coco, you missed the fine print at the bottom *unless you’re a freshman playing on New England based university”...

Reaction Score
Well deserved for Paige. Dana Evans and Caitlin Clark would’ve been my other choices in contention.

Frese also is deserving of the COY award. Losing what they did to graduation, the transfers of Austin, Mikesell, and Owens, and injuries to Reese and Lewis, I did not think they would be doing well as they’re currently doing at this point.
Maryland plays in the Big 10. Maryland can score, but I don’t see how they lost a game in that conference.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
You just had to bring up Clark. There's enough threads with that argument.
Yes I did. I responded to a post that said Paige is a whole level above all other players. That was posted in THIS thread. Clark is a part of other players. You did not have to read my post.

Reaction Score
Yes I did. I responded to a post that said Paige is a whole level above all other players. That was posted in THIS thread. Clark is a part of other players. You did not have to read my post.
But THIS thread is about paige and not Clark. If you don't want people to read and respond to your comments, you can simply not post then.

Reaction Score
What I remember most about Frese is the year Stewie was getting beat up and cheap shotted all game. Geno actually went to Frese and called her on it. They never played Maryland again. I don't watch Maryland...ever.

Reaction Score
Maryland plays in the Big 10. Maryland can score, but I don’t see how they lost a game in that conference.
The Big Ten may not be a gauntlet, but there are several solid teams among Iowa, Indiana, UM, OSU, and Rutgers.

OSU was playing very well at the time of the Maryland loss and pretty much trended downward as the season closed (probably had something to do with their postseason ineligibility and fatigue). Michigan too was considered much better until recent weeks.

I’ll point out that every other top team has a loss to a team they shouldn’t this year:

UConn to Arkansas
NC State to UNC and VTech
Stanford to Colorado
South Carolina to Tennessee
Louisville to Florida State
TAMU to LSU

Reaction Score
I
What I remember most about Frese is the year Stewie was getting beat up and cheap shotted all game. Geno actually went to Frese and called her on it. They never played Maryland again. I don't watch Maryland...ever.
You must not pay that much attention then because they Maryland twice after that. They also have them scheduled for a home and away

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom