PAIGE ESPN Player Of The Year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

PAIGE ESPN Player Of The Year

Reaction Score
No problem with Brenda Freese winning Coach of the Year as there were several worthy candidates. As a UCONN diehard, I believe that Kellie Harper deserves some consideration. She not only did a great job in improving a struggling Tennesseee team on the court, she also restored credibility to a storied franchise in only two seasons.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Paige doesn't have a peer in college ball. I have difficulty describing Paige because she is so multifaceted and in control of the basketball court. It is a great pleasure watching her work. She's deserving of a slew of awards.

Reaction Score
I don't care so much about individual awards and I doubt GA cares either.

I have no idea who should win the coach of the year award but I do know that GA has 2 players who were number one in their class and one is a generational talent. They are a bit young but GA still has some amazing talent from the HS Level. He also has maybe two top 5 recruits and several other top recruits so this is probably why he didn't win the award. Most coaches would die for what GA has, but they can't recruit like him. He is hands down, the best recruiter ever and certainly a top coach year in and year out. Possibly, the best coach of his generation as well. We are very, very lucky to have him!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well deserved for Paige. Dana Evans and Caitlin Clark would’ve been my other choices in contention.

Frese also is deserving of the COY award. Losing what they did to graduation, the transfers of Austin, Mikesell, and Owens, and injuries to Reese and Lewis, I did not think they would be doing well as they’re currently doing at this point.

Reaction Score
Geno got jobbed!!!! This was perhaps his best coaching effort EVER!
Weren’t you all complaining about his coaching during and after the Arkansas game? No doubt Geno has done great this year, as always, but I’m not sure why you’d say he was robbed. Frese lost all five starters, lost her top freshmen (a #2 recruit) to injury, and has the Terps at 22-2 while leading the nation in scoring.

Reaction Score
Weren’t you all complaining about his coaching during and after the Arkansas game? No doubt Geno has done great this year, as always, but I’m not sure why you’d say he was robbed. Frese lost all five starters, lost her top freshmen (a #2 recruit) to injury, and has the Terps at 22-2 while leading the nation in scoring.
If Geno loses a game, he’s ineligible. I believe that’s in the bylaws.

He did a great job this year, but no issues at all with Frese winning. They could have had a down year easily, but she patched up their holes and has them playing really well. And you can always use the card against Geno that four of his five starters were top 5 recruits (two No. 1s, a No. 2 and a No. 5), so we should be good, even if a bit young.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Congrats to Paige! Happy for her. Well deserved!

Was it me or did the article at times seemed petty? Almost sounded like she cited why Geno thinks she is player of the year, and not so much why they voted her player of the year. In addition, it seems like there is more Power 5 conf propaganda. I feel like we are hearing more about conference inferiority than when we were in the AAC.
ESPN is still PO'd that UConn bolted to the Big East. They messed up their plan of having UConn games that were televised by SNY on ESPN+ forcing thousands of viewers to pay their streaming fees. Then without UConn many of the games that the AAC played did not have the numbers that they expected.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
No problem with Brenda Freese winning Coach of the Year as there were several worthy candidates. As a UCONN diehard, I believe that Kellie Miller deserves some consideration. She not only did a great job in improving a struggling Tennesseee team on the court, she also restored credibility to a storied franchise in only two seasons.
Harper?

Reaction Score
PB earned this honor and it will not be her last. There are some great players who had excellent years but she rose to the top.

I'm not super crazy about Freeze's personality but she definitely took what could have been a middling season and they rose to the occasion. Blair should have also garnered some consideration but no issues with Brenda winning.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
No problem with Brenda Freese winning Coach of the Year as there were several worthy candidates. As a UCONN diehard, I believe that Kellie Miller deserves some consideration. She not only did a great job in improving a struggling Tennesseee team on the court, she also restored credibility to a storied franchise in only two seasons.
Kelly Jolly Harper is the coach at Tennessee. Miller was an excellent player in college and the W.

It’s ironic that Brenda won the award for recovering well after chasing major talent—Staiti, Slocum, Mikesell, Owens, and Austin—out of College Park.

Reaction Score
Congratulations to Paige! Very deserving.
Congratulations also to Frese. She did a very fine job this year.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score

I'm not mad about Frese winning the award, but celebrating how she's responded to the five starters she lost (which the program is really pushing) seems a little... icky.

She lost three seniors to graduation... fine.

But...

Owusu started 16/32 games and is back, and I have issue with celebrating how a coach recovers after losing two of your top players to transfer -- neither of whom transferred to a program closer to home.

So celebrate the season and how you've developed this team, but don't say you lost all of your starters (because you didn't, really...) and maybe take a good look at why two of your starting underclassmen from last year are currently starting elsewhere.

(Disclaimer, I also don't think that Geno should have won it, either. Gary Blair would have earned my vote.)

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I don't care so much about individual awards and I doubt GA cares either.

I have no idea who should win the coach of the year award but I do know that GA has 2 players who were number one in their class and one is a generational talent. They are a bit young but GA still has some amazing talent from the HS Level. He also has maybe two top 5 recruits and several other top recruits so this is probably why he didn't win the award. Most coaches would die for what GA has, but they can't recruit like him. He is hands down, the best recruiter ever and certainly a top coach year in and year out. Possibly, the best coach of his generation as well. We are very, very lucky to have him!
Stanford and SC could have a good argument about who the best recruiter is, at least for the last five seasons.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Definitely vote for Paige for Naismith. Paige will not sweep the awards because she is not eligible to win the Wade Trophy.

Wade Trophy Criteria (in order of priority):

1. NCAA Division I basketball player (sophomore, junior or senior)

And on that note don't forget to vote for Paige for the naismith award so that she can sweep the awards this season.
I believe Paige also is favored to win SOY (Slime of the Year).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom