Paige Bueckers vs Caitlin Clark [merged thread] | The Boneyard

Paige Bueckers vs Caitlin Clark [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Awhile back I started a thread implying that Paige was the best player in WBB. A number of BY’ers suggested, with justification, that the best player in WBB was Caitlin Clark.

The comparison between the two is obvious and appropriate. I do believe this question will continue so long as they both play basketball.

So here’s one comparative datapoint to consider. Last night both Paige and Clark scored 24 pts in their respective games. Paige had 24 points on 15 shots in a 32-point win against 20th ranked MD. Clark had 24 points on 32 shots in a 7-point loss to unranked K-State. :eek:

Reaction Score
I watched Kstate and Iowa. Clark struggled and so did the team. It was a pretty bad game to watch overall.

It was tempting to forget just how good PB is while she was out last season and Clark was taking the country by storm with their NC game run. I think they are both amazing players who deserve their accolades. Both are fierce competitors who want to win and will do whatever they can to get their teams there.

Reaction Score
Awhile back I started a thread implying that Paige was the best player in WBB. A number of BY’ers suggested, with justification, that the best player in WBB was Caitlin Clark.

The comparison between the two is obvious and appropriate. I do believe this question will continue so long as they both play basketball.

So here’s one comparative datapoint to consider. Last night both Paige and Clark scored 24 pts in their respective games. Paige had 24 points on 15 shots in a 32-point win against 20th ranked MD. Clark had 24 points on 32 shots in a 7-point loss to unranked K-State. :eek:
One game is a real small sample size. The thing about CC is she really has very little around her so she is forced to carry the team and when she has an off night the team has no chance. I do like how efficient Paige is in getting her points and absolutely love that she would rather take it to the hole instead of hoisting up a 40 footer. Both are exceptional players though.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
You are right, she scored 44 points on 13-31 shooting and took half the teams shots. Iowa would be nothing without her, but she is taking too many shots, especially if she is off, whereas maybe one of her teammates could do more if they had the opportunity. Still, I think she is a great player.

Reaction Score

I find it tough to compare Paige and Caitlin Clark. Paige scores all of her points within the UConn offensive system while Caitlin is the entire Iowa offense. Paige makes all of the UConn players better, rebounds hard, and plays good defense. While Caitlin is always an assist leader, her job is to shoot, shoot, and shoot more. Two wonderful players so I don't overthink the comparison and just watch each as many times as possible and enjoy being a basketball fan. An added thought - when both go pro, I predict the interest in women's pro basketball will signficicantly increase.

Reaction Score
A trademark of Paige is efficiency. That’s the reason she won NPOY over players with bigger numbers. She’s only shot under 30% for a game 4 times in her career. Against Tennessee as a freshman, and then 3 games immediately after returning from injury as a sophomore.

The most fga for her in a less than 30% shooting game is the 3-14 effort against Tennessee. She’s never shown us a truly abysmal shooting night.

Yes she has always had a strong supporting cast, but she’s also very selective in her shot taking. High basketball IQ, unselfish, instinctual. Efficiency is her trademark.

She’s our best 3 point shooter and Geno has to practically beg her to take them! Speaks to her character as a player and teammate.

Reaction Score
Screenshot 2023-11-17 at 9.40.40 AM.png

Reaction Score
I've enjoyed reading the many various takes on Bueckers-Clark. As one of Caitlin's frequent 'defenders' here, I'll direct anyone interested to a post I made on the General Forum's 'Clark scores 44' thread late in the Iowa game noting Caitlin clearly was not Caitlin last night. Even early on, she was front-rimming many of her shots, both 3s and short jumpers, and her excellent handle wasn't as controlled as usual.

Whatever the case, she was increasingly ineffective. Sadly, she had no one to pick her up. The last part of the game, when she was firing many of her errant threes, reminded me of the final minutes of the NCAA title game vs. LSU when Iowa was hopelessly out of it and she kept chucking bombs.

As great as she is, Caitlin sometimes falls victim to both her own brilliance and resultant attention, and to the reality that she doesn't have alternatives on her team when the Hawkeyes need points, especially last night when K State's 6'6" Aoki Lee mostly shut off the Hawkeyes' interior game.

All that said, I love all the posts noting how lucky we are to have both Paige and Caitlin to watch, and healthy, too. Fingers crossed that remains a constant throughout the season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

A number of BYers were wrong. Last night was a clarified example. Paige shot 66 2/3% from the field, Caitlin shot 28%. The differences are stark. Paige is the smartest defensive player in women's basketball, maybe ever. She anticipates the second or third pass or move and it is just intuitive, That cannot be taught or learned.

Paige has a far superior intermediate game, which I would call a pull up game, and she stops and elevates vertically in classic form which makes that shot so deadly. Caitlin does not have a comparable pull up game. Paige is a brilliant passer, one of the most precise ever. Caitlin is also a great passer but not a pure passer like Paige. Caitlin has far greater range on her 3 ball than Paige but if you can drive like Paige and make moves like her the shooting percentages are going to be better but just not as thrilling.

Paige has something between the ears I have never seen. As I have posted several times, go see her play live from good seats and watch her eyes on defense. Then see how she is in perfect position to intercept the ball seconds later. You will say to yourself "How did she know?". She just does as the great ones all do. That is why she is the best player in women's basketball.

I only worry about her physically. I have written to the NCAA on several occasions regarding the creeping physicality in women's basketball. You saw it rear its ugly head again last night ion both games. It's a beautiful and pure sport as played by our best women's teams and I would like it to stay that way and Paige embodies the best the sport can be.

Reaction Score
I've enjoyed reading the many various takes on Bueckers-Clark. As one of Caitlin's frequent 'defenders' here, I'll direct anyone interested to a post I made on the General Forum's 'Clark scores 44' thread late in the Iowa game noting Caitlin clearly was not Caitlin last night. Even early on, she was front-rimming many of her shots, both 3s and short jumpers, and her excellent handle wasn't as controlled as usual.

Whatever the case, she was increasingly ineffective. Sadly, she had no one to pick her up. The last part of the game, when she was firing many of her errant threes, reminded me of the final minutes of the NCAA title game vs. LSU when Iowa was hopelessly out of it and she kept chucking bombs.

As great as she is, Caitlin sometimes falls victim to both her own brilliance and resultant attention, and to the reality that she doesn't have alternatives on her team when the Hawkeyes need points.

All that said, I love all the posts noting how lucky we are to have both Paige and Caitlin to watch, and healthy, too. Fingers crossed that remains a constant throughout the season.
Clark forced a lot last night even after it was apparent nothing was working. It was rough to see.

Reaction Score
Paige, when physically healthy, is an enormously efficient and skilled player who can carry her team, and makes everyone around her better. Clark, who also is outrageously skilled and does carry her team, does not have the supporting players this year. It's really a tough call when both are healthy, but I wouldn't mind if Paige took half as many shots as Clark!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I think a lot of people, when comparing Paige and Caitlin, lose sight of the fact that they play for very different coaches in very different systems with very different teammates.

I'd bet that if asked off the record whether they'd trade one for the other, Geno wouldn't trade Paige for Caitlin, and Lisa Bluder wouldn't trade Caitlin for Paige. Each chose to play for the coach she plays for, and I'd surprised if each isn't happy with her choice.

Of course, I have a strong preference for Paige, but then I'm a UConn fan, and I've been enamored with Geno's system and the players he brings in for 30-plus years.

Reaction Score

K-State is considered #27 for this week. That's not as bad a you think. Where was NC State last week before they beat UConn? This comparison isn't a fair example to use.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Caitlin will have better games, of course, and Paige will have worse shooting games, unfortunately. But here are stats that are fairly typical from last night that contrast these great players:

Paige: 6 steals and 2 blocks

Caitlin: 0 steals and 0 blocks

Reaction Score

As great as she is, Caitlin sometimes falls victim to both her own brilliance and resultant attention, and to the reality that she doesn't have alternatives on her team when the Hawkeyes need points, especially last night when K State's 6'6" Aoki Lee mostly shut off the Hawkeyes' interior game.

I will say it again, a ‘logo three’ is not a good shot. Even if someone has the range, it is still a bad shot unless the shot or game clock is winding down. Taking 30 plus shots a game is too many shots. Period. Just because I can doesn’t mean I ought to. Paige Bueckers has a sound defensive and offensive game. Caitlin Clark has ‘ooh and awed’ the casual basketball fan. She is a scorer and Paige is the more complete basketball player. after seeing the Maryland game last night I am amazed with her defensive skills… Bueckers that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom