Overtime Elite grabs another… | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Overtime Elite grabs another…

Reaction Score
Audience isn't the only reason and ways to make money. the team can make money off sneaker sponsorships, marketing, or even getting a cut of future earnings. Things like that.

I think G League is a rising tide. If the OT Elite can get a 8-person league, think about it. It essentially becomes the fourth division of pro hoops.

Here is how I look at hoops

NBA -1st division
G League - 2nd Division
College- 3rd Division
OT Elite - 4th division?
(Amateur)
High School/AAU - 5th Division

4th Division Plays Elite AAU teams? No idea. Reminds me of the PDL in soccer.
You need an audience for the sneaker sponsorships and marketing $ to make sense. Billboards in caves don't get good rents. I guess maybe some of these players will bring monetizable social media followers to this cave though. The future earnings thing is a scam condiment atop a meatless & breadless sandwich, served in a cave.

Reaction Score
Audience isn't the only reason and ways to make money. the team can make money off sneaker sponsorships, marketing, or even getting a cut of future earnings. Things like that.

I think G League is a rising tide. If the OT Elite can get a 8-person league, think about it. It essentially becomes the fourth division of pro hoops.

NBA -1st division
G League - 2nd Division
College- 3rd Division
OT Elite - 4th division?
(Amateur)
High School/AAU - 4th Division?

Americans have never shown they like minor leagues, I just don't see an audience for it. If NBA teams want to pay for it like they did the WNBA I guess it has a future but the fanbase just won't be there.

We already have the G League for that though and nobody cares about it.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

NBA -1st division
G League - 2nd Division
College- 3rd Division
OT Elite - 4th division?
(Amateur)
High School/AAU - 4th Division?

Sneaker deals and marketing are only valuable IF there is an audience. College basketball only has an audience because of the names on the front of the jersey (outside of a generational sensation). Put the 5 starters from Duke and 5 from UNC on the floor on the “yellow” and “blue” teams with no attachment to established brands and no one would care. There is no market for watching 16 year old semi pro kids. Maybe a few creepy old men and some basketball hardos, but that potential fan base won’t ever become a big enough niche to cover the expenses. In my opinion.

If the investors in this league want to piss away their money hoping to trick some kids that taking $100K now to give up earnings down the line is better than national exposure, unlimited NIL money potential and not having to sell your future contract rights to play at Duke or Kentucky, that is their right I guess.

Reaction Score
I don't know how they make money. But they are paying 16 year old elite prospects to play basketball and getting them through high school, fed with proper nutrition, and a place to sleep and stay out of trouble.

This changes lives for the young people. I just don't know how Overtime Elite makes any money.
The funding is covered in the Infrastructure Bill

Reaction Score
A good avenue for kids that can't academically qualify anyway, but a huge gamble for the rest. Sadly, if this doesn't pan out for them, sadly I don't see bright futures. I bet most top recruits don't even for a second consider the possibility that they won't make it big in the pros. Hoop dreams.

Reaction Score
All you have to do is look at the investor list to see if it has legs. I wouldn’t take it lightly.
Lebron, Melo, Durant, and others. And at least they don't have the hypocrisy of having to go to class to stay eligible. In Europe these youth development programs are the normal. I'd bet a few posts in this thread won't age well

Reaction Score
Lebron, Melo, Durant, and others. And at least they don't have the hypocrisy of having to go to class to stay eligible. In Europe these youth development programs are the normal. I'd bet a few posts in this thread won't age well
Copy that!!

Reaction Score
Copy that!!
That's not a league man. The perpetual argument that tops 5 HS grads per year can play/make a pro league applying a rule change or completely trashing the college system with 5,000 players. But there is no doubt room for something other than college and its likely the G-league.

College hoops has been screwed up since ? 1970s and is only getting exponentially worse. Money mostly corrupted what at least had a solid foundation and was once good. OTE seems to be starting with corruption of money and working backwards.
But I'm definitely wicked scared that three years from now Dean Wormer throws me outta here cuz I've been on double secret probation for an internet opinion.

Reaction Score
It only hurts the Dukes and Kentucky’s of the world who would get the blue chippers and said they developed them. It’s a new landscape now in college basketball.

Reaction Score
Until this league has a real schedule I don’t think we can judge if it will last. Right now they are scrimmaging aau teams…if they can find a way to play good high level competition it has a chance I guess. I still don’t know if the question of whether this is a league or a team has been answered has it?

Reaction Score
Nice pocket change to boot (reported as a 2 year contract):

$650K? Where is that kind of money coming from? What is his contract term and obligations? How much do they charge him for room and board out of that money? What if he flames out, or suffers a career ending injury before he can get to the League, does he have to pay the money back (like that is ever going to happen)? Is the $650K a standard amount paid per player, or, is the amount different for each player depending on management's perception of a player's skill level? If differing amounts per player at that level, would that not ferment jealousy and envy between players?

Just lots of question here on this model......

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
$650K? Where is that kind of money coming from? What is his contract term and obligations? How much do they charge him for room and board out of that money? What if he flames out, or suffers a career ending injury before he can get to the League, does he have to pay the money back (like that is ever going to happen)? Is the $650K a standard amount paid per player, or, is the amount different for each player depending on management's perception of a player's skill level? If differing amounts per player at that level, would that not ferment jealousy and envy between players?

Part of the deal is KO gets like 10% of their NBA contract. Once it cycles through and kids realize how screwed they’re getting this thing is toast

Reaction Score

Maybe it is similar to the American Idol structure?

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
My understanding is Overtime Elite will be making their money on future earnings from the players passing through their program. Or at least that is where the expected bulk of their revenue is going to come from.
That should bring some interesting future legal matter challenges in contract law, employment etc. if Overtime Elite is still around. Makes me think of Col. Parker and Elvis; John Fogarty etc. Lock them in and force them to buy their way out.

Reaction Score
It sounds like this place has something in its contracts similar to the one Fernando Tatis jr signed which is universally seen as a horrible deal now. The fine print on these things would be fascinating to read.

Reaction Score
Who r they playing????

They are taking all the national prep schools kids. Shoe companies are not going to want the preps they sponsor to play them.

Reaction Score
It sounds like this place has something in its contracts similar to the one Fernando Tatis jr signed which is universally seen as a horrible deal now. The fine print on these things would be fascinating to read.
Yes i think that’s exactly what the model is

I’m curious to see how it shakes out IF they ever hit big on one of these prospects. I just can’t picture guys being happy giving up X% of their NBA money to overtime. And yes, I understand that’s what they signed up for, but if someone offered me 650K as a high schooler it would have been impossible to turn down.

This just feels like something that has been attempted and failed so many times in the basketball world

Reaction Score
Guess I'm dumb..Who do these guys play?
I don’t think they have any type of schedule yet. Last I heard they are playing “high level” high school teams or something. Haven’t seen anything official so someone correct me if i’m wrong

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom