Overtime Elite grabs another… | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Overtime Elite grabs another…

Reaction Score
Has anyone actually seen a primary source reporting that the league seeks to make money by taking a cut of the players' future earnings? It seems to be taken for granted in this thread, but as far as I know it's completely unsubstantiated. I've looked for confirmation but found nothing.

Reaction Score
Your points on whether it helped his development aside.... how on earth does his decision show you that he understands the compounding of money? You could discount his future cash outflows back at an absurd rate and I guarantee you it's going to be nowhere near what he received up front.
I wasn't referring to compounding the upfront money. That's nothing in Tatis' equation, or the OTE players' equations.

My point was if he developed faster as a player, due to the program they put him on, and he earned a BIG contract earlier (like $340 Million over 14 years big) than he otherwise might have (age 22 instead of 25 for example) the much higher early earnings (even after paying a % to the agency) could compound over his lifetime to a higher overall net. I thought I saw he referenced that point but maybe I read it wrong.

Here's a quote from one of the stories about his new contract, "Tatis landed in San Diego in 2016 in the now-fabled deal that sent James Shields to the White Sox. An unheralded prospect at the time, Tatis quickly became one of the sport’s best young talents." Did he do it all on his own or did the help he got make him that great a player in only 4 years?

It's all hypothetical because we don't know the percentage he agreed to or the other contract provisions, but that was my point.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Has anyone actually seen a primary source reporting that the league seeks to make money by taking a cut of the players' future earnings? It seems to be taken for granted in this thread, but as far as I know it's completely unsubstantiated. I've looked for confirmation but found nothing.
I do not believe it is the case for this. I've found one article that referenced media/sponsors being the main sources of revenue. I don't think the model would work here since they just don't offer enough above what a major D1 program would (housing/food already paid for, NIL opportunities almost certainly better in college).

Reaction Score
Jazian Gortman.a five star, top ten recruit announced that he was going with Overtime Elite...

The appeal of OTE is the guaranteed six-figure salary offered to its players, access to bonuses and shares of equity in Overtime, a popular sports brand and network as well as the ability of players to profit from their name, image and likeness. Salaries start at $100,00, but Gortman, given his profile, will earn $650,000 according to Jeff Goodman -- comparable to what Jalen Green (the No. 2 pick in the 2021 NBA Draft) earned last year with the G League Ignite. Players also have access to up to $100,000 in college tuition if they opt to not pursue an NBA career.

Reaction Score
Funding. Overtime recently announced it raised $80 million in Series C funding from top VC firms, industry leaders and athletes including Jeff Bezos, Drake and 25+ NBA stars including Trae Young, Devin Booker and Pau Gasol.

Reaction Score
I wasn't referring to compounding the upfront money. That's nothing in Tatis' equation, or the OTE players' equations.

My point was if he developed faster as a player, due to the program they put him on, and he earned a BIG contract earlier (like $340 Million over 14 years big) than he otherwise might have (age 22 instead of 25 for example) the much higher early earnings (even after paying a % to the agency) could compound over his lifetime to a higher overall net. I thought I saw he referenced that point but maybe I read it wrong.

Here's a quote from one of the stories about his new contract, "Tatis landed in San Diego in 2016 in the now-fabled deal that sent James Shields to the White Sox. An unheralded prospect at the time, Tatis quickly became one of the sport’s best young talents." Did he do it all on his own or did the help he got make him that great a player in only 4 years?

It's all hypothetical because we don't know the percentage he agreed to or the other contract provisions, but that was my point.

That's funny, I think I understand that you mean/meant amplifying his future earnings by having a higher base to build from. But I assume you are old enough to understand what people normally mean when they say compounding in reference to money?

Especially when you threw in 'someone so young who understands compounding of money' it really implies that you assume Tatis is investing his money in his early 20's and therefore truly compounding = the colloquial use of the word meaning earning interest on interest.
Hopefully I don't compound upon the misunderstandings already in this thread and cause further fractures from the point.

Reaction Score

-> Smith, who turns 17 in November, is not currently eligible for the NBA draft until 2024 under current rules, unless he's able to graduate high school a year early and enter the 2023 draft, which he'd be eligible for age-wise. He said he signed a two-year, "seven-figure" contract with OTE and "will see from there." Smith says he'll be represented by agent Chris Gaston of Family First Sports. <-

Reaction Score
As Chief has been warning people, regardless of what you think of KO this OT Elite model
Is formable. They had representatives on the summer circuit and that investment is paying dividends.

Reaction Score
Wish them all well. Hope they do not end up with no money, no education, and no college ball to fall back on.
Yup.

But this whole thing makes recruiting the #20-50 guys more important than ever. So far, so good on that front with DH.

Reaction Score
As Chief has been warning people, regardless of what you think of KO this OT Elite model
Is formable. They had representatives on the summer circuit and that investment is paying dividends.
I feel like you're misunderstanding people's reactions to this. I've seen very few people questioning why a player would sign up for a couple hundred grand instead of playing in college. I've seen quite a few questioning how the investors will make this a profitable venture, which is still very much in the air.

Reaction Score
Never going to blame a kid for securing the bag when they can.
Yep, this makes a lot more sense for high school juniors and younger $ wise and possibly basketball wise. The education aspect of the 'school' becomes a lot more important (I have no clue, do they have teachers?) but fans/the public don't worry about that at tennis academies or other similar sports. Plus of course if this is a short-lived deal destined to be gobbled up grabbing the $$ early is the way to go.

Reaction Score
Has anything been announced about who they are going to play. Just not sure how much these kids can/will develop without actual competition against legitimate talent

Reaction Score
Has anything been announced about who they are going to play. Just not sure how much these kids can/will develop without actual competition against legitimate talent
There is almost no independently sourced news on OTE other than the player signings. For example they announced IN MAY via their own press release and straight to media statement that they are building a facility for their training and games that implies it opens in September. You'd be hard pressed to announce building a garage in May and have it open by September in current climate of delayed permitting and supply shortages. Lots of sizzle via name drops and $$$,$$$ in all their statements, but no meat.

New hoops league for prep stars building facility in Atlanta

Reaction Score
There is almost no independently sourced news on OTE other than the player signings. For example they announced IN MAY via their own press release and straight to media statement that they are building a facility for their training and games that implies it opens in September. You'd be hard pressed to announce building a garage in May and have it open by September in current climate of delayed permitting and supply shortages. Lots of sizzle via name drops and $$$,$$$ in all their statements, but no meat.

New hoops league for prep stars building facility in Atlanta
Steel is in a huge demand shortage. Fencing can take 2-3 months to get. I was quoted 40-72 week lead time for a custom 28 ft trailer because they can't get steel. There is zero chance that facility is anywhere close to starting/ being completed. I would guess it doesn't finish til next year at some point if they have even broken ground yet

Reaction Score
Yep, this makes a lot more sense for high school juniors and younger $ wise and possibly basketball wise. The education aspect of the 'school' becomes a lot more important (I have no clue, do they have teachers?) but fans/the public don't worry about that at tennis academies or other similar sports. Plus of course if this is a short-lived deal destined to be gobbled up grabbing the $$ early is the way to go.
The formal education is likely pretense but they do focus on how to do interviews and that has value. Even on the pretense education they have someone with some paper credential from DC to make it look legit.

Reaction Score
Steel is in a huge demand shortage. Fencing can take 2-3 months to get. I was quoted 40-72 week lead time for a custom 28 ft trailer because they can't get steel. There is zero chance that facility is anywhere close to starting/ being completed. I would guess it doesn't finish til next year at some point if they have even broken ground yet
It’s recruiting - there’s spin and untruths associated with nearly everything. LOL

Reaction Score
I feel like you're misunderstanding people's reactions to this. I've seen very few people questioning why a player would sign up for a couple hundred grand instead of playing in college. I've seen quite a few questioning how the investors will make this a profitable venture, which is still very much in the air.
Chief was told my some posters my threads on OTE weren’t newsworthy or relevant.
Others, mostly earlier on, thought the model had little viability.

Reaction Score
Chief was told my some posters my threads on OTE weren’t newsworthy or relevant.
I think people are arguing about the long term viability….paying high six figure salaries to juniors in high school is clearly going to attract people. Will investors still want to shell out that money 3 years from now if the league has no tv deal or other money making success is I think what everyone is questioning.

Reaction Score
How many of these kids are going to end up messed up? Here is 650k to a 18yo.

There has been plenty of 22-23 yo guys who go pro and get a pile of cash and the wheels fall off.

This will be interesting to see how all this turns out

Reaction Score
Yes, there is definitely a lot of questions surrounding the viability of the model long term. But again, that doesn’t mean people are surprised that a high school kid will skip school for several hundred grand.

Reaction Score
I think people are arguing about the long term viability….paying high six figure salaries to juniors in high school is clearly going to attract people. Will investors still want to shell out that money 3 years from now if the league has no tv deal or other money making success is I think what everyone is questioning.
Chief isn’t arguing OTE won’t exploit these kids, it’s just a different approach. The investors will make plenty of money. Some of these kids will make $150m to $200m over 10 years in The League - so take a % to that - let’s say 10% - that’s $15m to $20m. A great return on less than $1m up front. Bezo’s isn’t stupid.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom