Overtime Elite grabs another… | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Overtime Elite grabs another…

Reaction Score
It's not particularly newsworthy. We don't generally have threads when 5*s pick other schools, unless we recruited them to some extent. The OTE may persist, but it's not a threat to CBB. Hardcore CBB fans root for laundry and casual fans only care about march madness, neither of which is affected by OTE.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
As Chief has been warning people, regardless of what you think of KO this OT Elite model
Is formable. They had representatives on the summer circuit and that investment is paying dividends.
Warning us about what? Any player signing there isn't going to Nova or Cuse or Duke so I couldn't care less. College isn't for everybody.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Chief isn’t arguing OTE won’t exploit these kids, it’s just a different approach. The investors will make plenty of money. Some of these kids will make $150m to $200m over 10 years in The League - so take a % to that - let’s say 10% - that’s $15m to $20m. A great return on less than $1m up front. Bezo’s isn’t stupid.
We r all still waiting on those percentages…are those CONFIRMED percentages chief?

Reaction Score
Chief isn’t arguing OTE won’t exploit these kids, it’s just a different approach. The investors will make plenty of money. Some of these kids will make $150m to $200m over 10 years in The League - so take a % to that - let’s say 10% - that’s $15m to $20m. A great return on less than $1m up front. Bezo’s isn’t stupid.
Have you seen anything reputable stating that OTE is taking a cut of future earnings? Nothing to that extent has been posted on here and all I’ve seen is an article stating ad and media revenue will be their main sources of funding. Genuinely curious if you have seen something that leads you to believe they are entitled a percentage of future earnings.

Reaction Score
Warning us about what? Any player signing there isn't going to Nova or Cuse or Duke so I couldn't care less. College isn't for everybody.
Ok for the sake of argument Chief accepts that premise. Now that those schools miss out of the top players they move down a notch and invade our recruiting target range.

Reaction Score
Have you seen anything reputable stating that OTE is taking a cut of future earnings? Nothing to that extent has been posted on here and all I’ve seen is an article stating ad and media revenue will be their main sources of funding. Genuinely curious if you have seen something that leads you to believe they are entitled a percentage of future earnings.
OTE isn’t publicly disclosing its financials. Instead, you see these fluff pieces written about how Bezos and others have invested tens of millions to do what’s right for HS kids. Is it heresy to suggest they might actually want a return on investment?
On the summer circuit, before the Delta wave hit hard, the buzz was OTE had their hands in these kids pockets for more than 2 years. Instead the Public relations is they will pay $100k for college if the kids don’t want to play ball - that’s a smokescreen my friend.

Reaction Score
OTE isn’t publicly disclosing its financials. Instead, you see these fluff pieces written about how Bezos and others have invested tens of millions to do what’s right for HS kids. Is it heresy to suggest they might actually want a return on investment?
On the summer circuit, before the Delta wave hit hard, the buzz was OTE had their hands in these kids pockets for more than 2 years. Instead the Public relations is they will pay $100k for college if the kids don’t want to play ball - that’s a smokescreen my friend.
So the answer is no, you haven’t seen anything to actually suggest that is the model. And no one is suggesting the investments being made are altruistic, that is just your way of deflecting from actually having a discussion about this topic.

Maybe it is the model, but seems unlikely. Everyone is using the Tatis Jr. model as an example but that’s providing money to players that are far away from big pay days, where the player has much higher risk of not developing, and where they have significant living expenses they have to cover on a poverty-level income. The guys being targeted by OTE have the alternative of going to college, where living expenses would largely be covered, they can make money on NIL, they are much closer to a big pay day, and there is far less risk than a baseball player in the low minors. The incentive to give up a decent chunk of future earnings would seem to be far less here. That’s why we’re questioning the model, not because we’re all naive morons who think Bezos’ fund is investing in this for charity.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
here, stop chasing each others tail.
overtime, 'a brand for the next generation of sports fans' (one of their 'labels,' here's another, 'publisher of sports content intended to empower athletes.'), capitalization record thus far. initially 80m now 140 m.
names, Overtime Raises $80M in Series C Funding | FinSMEs
a partial peak into what that deal is, Overtime Company Profile: Valuation & Investors | PitchBook
overtime announced their new product 'overtime elite' and said that they're building this as it's base facility in april.
Overtime selects Atlanta for teen basketball league that pays $100,000 (cnbc.com)
this is what it actually looks like now, Photos: Shed-like basketball facility has risen at Atlantic Station | Urbanize Atlanta
overtime says it has 50 million regular eyeballs (they've got 5.5m on twitland, i didn't check anything else), and clearly would like to drive that audience to their Overtime tv, apparently to buy shmattas and trinkets, and have recently hooked up with Fulfillment Services | Same Day Shipping | Ruby Has to move their stuff. ruby has warehouses and fancy logistics, or so im told.
overtime expects to grow their revenues by monetizing the eyeballs, which obviously includes selling the data, broadcasting events for ad revenue, and lazertargeting those eyeballs to sell them shmattas and trinkets. they 'create sports content that can be published on various platforms and also offer users to download sports videos and edit and amplify them with music and text, thereby enabling users to make their own highlights and share them with friends.'
the young men now forming the oe thing, receive various compensations and inducements, including overtime stock, and retention of a share for their, let's call it 'nil,' that overtime may generate.
from the information at hand, it would appear that monetization of eyeballs is overtime's expected revenue model. they, and their investors, think the oe league will add content to their stable of products for their under 35 demo profile.
i have zero idea if this 'groundbreaking' social media effort will succeed, and certainly have no interest in any of it.
never been on twit, faceplace, or almost any other of those things.
yeppers, pour some mud, slap up some corrigated steel - voila! a 21st century Quonset hut. they shouda called me, could've saved them a pantload. ya know, sumthin like this:
Quonset-Hut-Architecture.jpg

i did notice on their tv thing that they say that they also have 'overtime gambling channel.' lovely.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
IMO ..It's about the kids helping their families financially vs the kids developing as people.More to Life than BB
Yeah because you really develop as a person during your freshman year of college. I hope this is wildly successful and they take every single potential 1 and done and a bunch of 2 and outs too, and they do it forever. And maybe we can get back to good college basketball. Things like watching players develop over 4 years, seeing team basketball, watching crazy presses like the old Georgetown one, or Arkansas’s. Let college basketball be college basketball. Maybe we even get away from “reveal” press conferences where grown men who Have been trying to interpret a 17 year old’s tweets, cry because he chose the other school.

I was never sold on Ollie as a head coach. But now I hope he is highly successful.

Reaction Score
Yeah because you really develop as a person during your freshman year of college. I hope this is wildly successful and they take every single potential 1 and done and a bunch of 2 and outs too, and they do it forever. And maybe we can get back to good college basketball. Things like watching players develop over 4 years, seeing team basketball, watching crazy presses like the old Georgetown one, or Arkansas’s. Let college basketball be college basketball. Maybe we even get away from “reveal” press conferences where grown men who Have been trying to interpret a 17 year old’s tweets, cry because he chose the other school.

I was never sold on Ollie as a head coach. But now I hope he is highly successful.
Was referring to the college experience as a whole over the course of a 4-5 degree scenario.. Not just as an athlete. And not specifically talking about one and done vs OTE..IMO. OTE hurts the one and done schools like Kentucky more than the colleges with a longer view.

Any one who has been to college knows there's a dramatic difference between the growth in your first year experience vs the individual walking out the door after they have received their degree.

Would be curious to see in 5-10 yrs from now how many "one and dones"/5 stars are still in the League or even how long their careers in the League were. Predicting shorter than you might think.

Respect DH/staff for staying in their lane re: the type of recruits they're going after and the value they put on the college experience/their relationships .Now and in the future.

Reaction Score
So the answer is no, you haven’t seen anything to actually suggest that is the model. And no one is suggesting the investments being made are altruistic, that is just your way of deflecting from actually having a discussion about this topic.

Maybe it is the model, but seems unlikely. Everyone is using the Tatis Jr. model as an example but that’s providing money to players that are far away from big pay days, where the player has much higher risk of not developing, and where they have significant living expenses they have to cover on a poverty-level income. The guys being targeted by OTE have the alternative of going to college, where living expenses would largely be covered, they can make money on NIL, they are much closer to a big pay day, and there is far less risk than a baseball player in the low minors. The incentive to give up a decent chunk of future earnings would seem to be far less here. That’s why we’re questioning the model, not because we’re all naive morons who think Bezos’ fund is investing in this for charity.
I have not personally seen a player’s contract nor has OTE disclosed their financials to anyone in the public. Despite all their fluff interviews, there is definitely a lack of transparency and disclosure and they have not been asked tve tough questions. If you want to continue to believe their investors are putting up millions for no expected return but for the good of society, continue to believe that, if it makes you happy about the World.
I did talk to people involved or impacted on the summer circuit and various aspects of these deals extend far beyond a few years, they told me.
Since the NCAA NLI is basically a public document, Chief challenges OTE to end non disclosure and make their contracts and auxiliary contracts public. The second part is key from what the buzz was on the circuit.

Reaction Score
I have not personally seen a player’s contract nor has OTE disclosed their financials to anyone in the public. Despite all their fluff interviews, there is definitely a lack of transparency and disclosure and they have not been asked tve tough questions. If you want to continue to believe their investors are putting up millions for no expected return but for the good of society, continue to believe that, if it makes you happy about the World.
I did talk to people involved or impacted on the summer circuit and various aspects of these deals extend far beyond a few years, they told me.
Since the NCAA NLI is basically a public document, Chief challenges OTE to end non disclosure and make their contracts and auxiliary contracts public. The second part is key from what the buzz was on the circuit.
Can you just stop with the strawmen for once on this board? You not addressing the actual discussion and then telling me what my point is and why it's wrong is not helpful to anything and delegitimizes your point here since you're clearly not capable of defending your position. CLEARLY, there is an expected return as I have discussed numerous times now. Whether that will actually come to fruition is very much in the air. I work in the startup space. Most of them fizzle, even the ones that have big name backers. If I had a nickel for every time I've worked with a highly capitalized startup with big name investors that folded or sold for pennies on the dollar because their model didn't pan out as they and their investors expected, I would have quite a few more nickels.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Ok for the sake of argument Chief accepts that premise. Now that those schools miss out of the top players they move down a notch and invade our recruiting target range.
Ehh, you mean like Flip? Just not a big deal, imo. I like our hand.

Reaction Score
Was referring to the college experience as a whole over the course of a 4-5 degree scenario.. Not just as an athlete. And not specifically talking about one and done vs OTE..IMO. OTE hurts the one and done schools like Kentucky more than the colleges with a longer view.

Any one who has been to college knows there's a dramatic difference between the growth in your first year experience vs the individual walking out the door after they have received their degree.

Would be curious to see in 5-10 yrs from now how many "one and dones"/5 stars are still in the League or even how long their careers in the League were. Predicting shorter than you might think.

Respect DH/staff for staying in their lane re: the type of recruits they're going after and the value they put on the college experience/their relationships .Now and in the future.
Not sure if my early college career as a nobody relates is any way to a kid who is good enough at basketball to get a chance to get picked for OTE. One year at college (or even 2) where you are sooooooo special (don't mean it in negative way just that you really are) is still quite an experience but not the "college experience" that 99.9% of students have.

College is not the only way to get good life experience (or bad for that matter).

Reaction Score
Not sure if my early college career as a nobody relates is any way to a kid who is good enough at basketball to get a chance to get picked for OTE. One year at college (or even 2) where you are sooooooo special (don't mean it in negative way just that you really are) is still quite an experience but not the "college experience" that 99.9% of students have.

College is not the only way to get good life experience (or bad for that matter).
That's a good point though. There are moments for elite college athletes where they are more like everyone else (taking care of yourself, classes etc...) than probably most moments in their adult lives to that point. Going to a basketball academy with other stars won't provide that perspective altering experience. But then again maybe OTE is more like the NBA and success there begets ongoing success in similar environs.

Reaction Score
There is almost no independently sourced news on OTE other than the player signings. For example they announced IN MAY via their own press release and straight to media statement that they are building a facility for their training and games that implies it opens in September. You'd be hard pressed to announce building a garage in May and have it open by September in current climate of delayed permitting and supply shortages. Lots of sizzle via name drops and $$$,$$$ in all their statements, but no meat.

New hoops league for prep stars building facility in Atlanta
Steel is in a huge demand shortage. Fencing can take 2-3 months to get. I was quoted 40-72 week lead time for a custom 28 ft trailer because they can't get steel. There is zero chance that facility is anywhere close to starting/ being completed. I would guess it doesn't finish til next year at some point if they have even broken ground yet
FWIW: Photos: Shed-like basketball facility has risen at Atlantic Station

Reaction Score
Also, FWIW since there was some confusion on this earlier (including with myself):

On the podcast release earlier with Dave Borges and Jim Calhoun, Dave asks Calhoun about OTE and what he thinks about it, and Calhoun pretty much says he thinks college is the better route with NIL because you don’t have to give up a % of future earnings.

So essentially (though it’s not entirely clear on what that will look like and there isn’t much about it online) it does sound like signees will have to give money back to OTE in the future in some fashion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom