"Other" games of note, Week 2 (Nov. 12-18) | Page 10 | The Boneyard

"Other" games of note, Week 2 (Nov. 12-18)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Let's see, one Hull twin is already fouled out, one Wirth sister is a foul away, and Townsend is also a foul from sitting.

Getting Townsend out would be big for Stanford. She's kind of carried GU in the 2nd half.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Okay, what the heck? Townsend was fouled shooting. After a long conference, Campbell shot technical FTs and GU got the ball back. I'm so confused.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
There's #5 on Townsend. There have been a lot of FTs for both teams in OT. This game may never end. 65-64 Stanford w/ Carrington shooting FTs.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
FTs:

GU 21-26
Stanford 12-23

If the 'Furd doesn't win, you can point at that.

Reaction Score
There's #5 on Townsend. There have been a lot of FTs for both teams in OT. This game may never end. 65-64 Stanford w/ Carrington shooting FTs.

It may never end because Stanford can't sink free throws. This has been terrible to watch.

Reaction Score
Gonzaga won’t go away. No quit. Same with Stanford. I think it has been a great battle between these teams

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Lexie w/ a pair of layups to push the lead to 5. Refs want back in on the action so more FTs coming.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
73-66 under a minute left. That should do it. Lexie was huge in the OT.

Reaction Score
The spirit of Stanford 2015-16 has infected us tonight. Lots of turnovers, negligible offense, and horrendous shooting rates at the line. The team that took it to Team USA for three quarters is unrecognizable tonight.
You are not giving enough credit to Gonzaga. They are legit

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I barely recognize Haley Jones without the Milli Vanilli hair.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
The Hull twins are great players

Their HS team was dominant for at least 3 years at the highest classification in Washington. I don't think they got nearly enough credit/publicity.

Reaction Score
So, officiating aside, I think that Gonzaga is probably better than advertised given their losses from last year, but we'll have to keep an eye on what they're doing this season...

Now....to go rank this mess. This shall be fun!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
It's simple: Missy's singular goal is to ensure Stanford loses or strains to win in the world's most painful fashion. It's remarkable how good she is at finding fouls where none exist and just happening to be the ref in games where we are uncharacteristically flat on offense and get taken to the mat by a less talented team that plays zone. This has happened probably half a dozen times in the past 3-4 seasons. When I saw she was head ref, I had a terrible feeling we would either lose or barely pull out a win...
OMG please just stop! It’s beneath you to carp on something so ludicrous. Be grateful you won especially considering how poor you shot free throws. Jeez. :confused:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
What is so ludicrous? There were 51 fouls called and 58 free throws taken. That's approximately one foul per 1.2 minutes. Compare that to the A&M Rice game, which was also close and down to the wire, where there were 26 fouls called and 27 free throw attempts. Neither Stanford nor Gonzaga is a terribly physical team, and yet both had players foul out.

I've watched PAC-12 WCBB for years, and Missy is terrible, not just for Stanford, but for everyone. Tell me how you think the Stanford - Team USA game would have gone if the refs had called that game the way this one was called.
Your comments about Missy having an agenda against Stanford is what is ludicrous. We all get it, YOU don’t like her. However the game I just saw was foul prone and sloppy so maybe both teams overplayed and you know, actually committed fouls.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Well, apologies for hallucinating. But pretty much every game I watch where she's the head ref, it's foul city and ugly play. I called it about 4 minutes into the game and it was consistent throughout. We had no issues with fouls the past three games, and from a quick glance at the Zags' box scores, neither did they. So absent some alternative hypothesis, I'll go with what basically every Stanford fan has concluded about Barlow: that she calls ridiculous, ticky tacky fouls, and it makes games descend into unwatchably poor play.
Would be fun to see a statistical analysis of Barlow's games to see if they exceed average fouls per game.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Interesting, I've long thought the quality of reffing in the Pac 12 wasn't very good, but I hadn't zeroed in on Barlow being so bad. I'll have to pay more attention to games she's reffing that I watch.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Haha, funny you say that - we've tried in the past to find this data, but for some reason the PAC-12 doesn't give out info on who refs which games. I'm not surprised, because I'd wager more than the $100 I would contribute to her early retirement fund that her ref teams call fouls at the highest rate of any in the PAC-12, if not the country. I can't tell you how many times she's ruined games Stanford has played in through mercilessly arbitrary and abusive calls. I'd say I see one technical foul per 10 games in ordinary OOC, low-stakes games where it doesn't involve coaches or players leaving the bench, and we had at least two or three tonight alone!

I know I sound over-the-top, and there's of course some dramatic embellishment, but it's such a trope on our Stanford board that it basically goes without saying that Missy = crappy game.
The refs' names are listed in every boxscore. It'd be a tedious project, but one could certainly compile this data and run the reports.

Reaction Score
Missy Barlow is also my least favorite PAC-12 referee. She has called more technicals on Scott Rueck than any other official. Must be the worst job in the world, being a basketball ref. Someone is always pissed at you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom