"Other" games of note, Week 2 (Nov. 12-18) | Page 11 | The Boneyard

"Other" games of note, Week 2 (Nov. 12-18)

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I did a quick calculation for all PAC-12 games last season in which Stanford played, and non-Missy ref'd games averaged 31.1 fouls per game, while Missy-ref'd games averaged 38.3 fouls per game, so games with Missy at the helm had, on average, 25% more fouls. At least I'm not hallucinating...

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I did a quick calculation for all PAC-12 games last season in which Stanford played, and non-Missy ref'd games averaged 31.1 fouls per game, while Missy-ref'd games averaged 38.3 fouls per game, so games with Missy at the helm had, on average, 25% more fouls. At least I'm not hallucinating...

Lies, damned lies, and statistics. :rolleyes:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
If they don't surely Aston's seat will be getting warm. 1-2 start for them, Big 12 schedule can't get her soon enough.
At least Collier is starting to play outstanding ball offensively, even hitting three pointers. She may be fully frustrated by end of the season. When your two big players has to shoot from outside as much as Holmes and Collier did, the guard play must be lacking. Sutton dribbles too much and seems to try to show people how good her handle is. I don't remember her doing that when she played high school ball here in St. Louis.

Reaction Score
VPI has the best in-house announcers of any school I've come across. Mack McCarthy is an retired Men's coach at UTC, VCU, and ECU.
L’ville has the two worst in-house announcers.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I agree that PAC-12 refereeing is slightly below the quality of other conferences (I attribute this in part to the distances between schools making it a much less attractive job than most other conferences). But the Missy squad is always an outlier. She's the only ref I know by name because of how infamous she has become over the years.
It is not "worse" than other conferences. Just different. Each conference has slightly different styles in refereeing, but the thing about the PAC is that only a few of the refs work the other Power 5 conferences, and mostly its the Big 12 if any.

Price and Bird are multiple power-conference refs, as is Gulbeyan - but the PAC is his outlier, whereas Bird and Price are mostly PAC 12 for the Power Conferences. Another one that has at times worked the PAC but really is the other 4 is Cameron Inoyue; I tracked a lot of refs for a number of years, and she is also one of the "works the most" - usually 6 days a week.

Distances between schools (in one conference) have nothing to do with it, one of the top refs in the east (who work between 4 and 6 games a week routinely (so do a lot of the PAC refs) might fly from Massachusetts to Alabama to Michigan to Texas day by day. It is unreal.

In any case, the PAC refs work the Mountain West, West Coast, Big West and a variety of other conferences. But their style is different from those that work the eastern conferences. My usual summary is that they let scrums go, and also a lot of under the basket stuff other than ticky-tack touch fouls, which they call consistently.

Like you, I don't like Barlow, although I don't think she is incompetent, she just calls everything. I prefer the old-timers, who are Gonzalez, Price, Schofield (who lives in Tucson) and a couple others. Although my wife did get a high 5 from Infin'i Robinson last year. And Price picked up a piece of pompom (to get rid of) that was on the floor and handed it to my wife, with the comment that she should go easy on him since he gave her something. So they are human.

Reaction Score
You can't prove malice from mere statistics.

Every ref has their tendencies. If it just so happens that those tendencies intersect with your team's tendencies, then it will look to you as though they are biased against your team. For example, some refs are really tight on calling moving screens, so if your team runs a lot of screens you are going to get a lot of calls against you. It doesn't mean the ref doesn't like your team, and it doesn't even mean that she's a bad ref. In fact, she might be *perfect* on those calls.

Stanford has a particular defensive style. (OSU is pretty similar, and I note that at least one Beaver fan also cast some aspersion on Missy). You don't have to assume that Missy hates Stanford (or Scott Rueck) just because that style of play intersects with her particular focus.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I didnt know that Troy was playing Miss State tonight.... I should be watching and scouting.... they (Troy) invade Cameron Indoor on Sunday.

Reaction Score
I didnt know that Troy was playing Miss State tonight.... I should be watching and scouting.... they (Troy) invade Cameron Indoor on Sunday.

Neither team playing defense

Duke should score 100

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Neither team playing defense

Duke should score 100
I mean, Tennessee last year beat Troy 131-69. I think the Troy coach's philosophy is to hope the other team gets tired scoring so many uncontested layups.

Reaction Score
I mean, Tennessee last year beat Troy 131-69. I think the Troy coach's philosophy is to hope the other team gets tired scoring so many uncontested layups.

Vic is looking like explosive time is here. Too many defensive breakdowns. All the freshmen and sophmores, I just hope they develop quickly on defense.

Reaction Score
I am not exactly completely sold on R. Jackson starting right now. Out of position defensively a lot, poor shot selection, turnovers.

She will be good but has ways to go

Reaction Score
I am not exactly completely sold on R. Jackson starting right now. Out of position defensively a lot, poor shot selection, turnovers.

If he can get her to do it, she would make a better stretch 4 than a 3. After the center's and sidney cook's she is the tallest girl on the team

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Triad, what happened to Odom? I watched her play in her high school state championship game and she and her running buddy lit up the place. She looked as if she would be AA material in college and seemed to play well as a freshman. It looks like she does not always hustle. What happened to her buddy after transferring from her original college choice?

Reaction Score

I have been thinking the same thing. I think AEH should start over Rickea.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Myah Taylor has outplayed Rickea Jackson first 4 games + exhibition. Who saw that coming?

Reaction Score
I watched that game and Troy is no pushover. They are quick and have some bombers. MSST was really on tonight so do not let the score for that game lead you to think Troy is an easy win.

Reaction Score
Myah Taylor has outplayed Rickea Jackson first 4 games + exhibition. Who saw that coming?

Myah is a talented player who has always given max effort. I'm concerned about the defense, which was out rebounded by Troy. That's just laziness and lack of "want to" on our part. Vic has his work cut out for him with this young team, but we knew that going into the season.

Reaction Score
Myah is a talented player who has always given max effort. I'm concerned about the defense, which was out rebounded by Troy. That's just laziness and lack of "want to" on our part. Vic has his work cut out for him with this young team, but we knew that going into the season.
I was impressed with our Troy game. Still want to see how we do on the road against a quality opponent. I think we will do well, we have got a lot of really talented players and they are starting to develop team chemistry. BRING IT ON!

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
USC Trojans just lost to UCSB Gauchos, at Santa Barbara 57-46.
Yes I know some USC players were out, I dont care, the others look like players who belong on an average Big West team, not a Pac 12 team.

Reaction Score
I thought UCSB used to be a really good mid major? Is that not so anymore?

Plebe

Reaction Score
USC Trojans just lost to UCSB Gauchos, at Santa Barbara 57-46.
Yes I know some USC players were out, I dont care, the others look like players who belong on an average Big West team, not a Pac 12 team.
USC was missing Watts, Overbeck and Aaron. Almost certainly their 3 best players, on a team that wasn't deep to begin with.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I thought UCSB used to be a really good mid major? Is that not so anymore?
Not anymore. Faded glory.

UCSB won something like 9 consecutive Big West titles in the late 90s to early 00s, and in 2004 they made the Sweet 16 and gave UConn its closest game of the tournament. Tennessee transfer April McDivitt was on that UCSB team: The Seattle Times: Sports: UConn's defense too much for UCSB

Last time the Gauchos made the NCAAs was 2012.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
USC was missing Watts, Overbeck and Aaron. Almost certainly their 3 best players, on a team that wasn't deep to begin with.
Why? I missed that. It will go down as quite the bad loss, regardless. We play UCSB later this year.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Not anymore. Faded glory.

UCSB won something like 9 consecutive Big West titles in the late 90s to early 00s, and in 2004 they made the Sweet 16 and gave UConn its closest game of the tournament. Tennessee transfer April McDivitt was on that UCSB team: The Seattle Times: Sports: UConn's defense too much for UCSB

Last time the Gauchos made the NCAAs was 2012.
The Gaucho's enticed Carlene Mitchell from Rutgers as coach. She was not successful, I'm sure I don't know what her problem was but we saw them twice (at NM State and at Arizona, and talked to Carlene at AZ) and my guess was she couldn't "coach down" to lesser talented players. They looked awful in both games.

I suspect they are still recovering from that downturn.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Why? I missed that. It will go down as quite the bad loss, regardless. We play UCSB later this year.
I'm assuming injuries, though I haven't heard anything. Aaron has yet to play this year. Overbeck only played 2 minutes in the previous game, which sounds like it had to be a physical issue. Watts played 27 minutes, so I have no idea about her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom