OT: World Cup | Page 18 | The Boneyard

OT: World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I also think it will be a great game, Germany is a great team but Ghana is also very good.

I really only think we saw the game play out the way it did, because:

1. We scored so early it immediately put us on the defensive. That became the pattern of play. USMNT is better with their backs against the wall. Not playing from in front.

2. Losing Altidore so early. Our entire style of play had to change (but didn't really). Lack of goal scoring aside, he is an entirely unique entity on this US team. Our offense runs through him in the front, and I don't think the US was able to make that adjustment in game. Hopefully, we've had enough time to adjust since.

Reaction Score
Not a soccer fan, but becoming one - what a great half. Hats off to Ghana and Germany - constant attacking. The guy who came in for Ghana in the 2nd half was lights out.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I love watching those teams play, ghana is so fast and go hard in every tackle, germany is fluent and such a great team when going forward

Reaction Score
Wish Ghana wasn't in our group, they are a really good team and badly outplayed us but we converted our 2 chances. The US has a great opportunity that they have to capitalize on tomorrow. Beat a beaten up Portugal so you don't have to worry about a hungry Germany on Thursday.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Not a soccer fan, but becoming one - what a great half. Hats off to Ghana and Germany - constant attacking. The guy who came in for Ghana in the 2nd half was lights out.

For the other side, My boy, Miroslave Klose comes in the game and 1 minute later he puts one in. I've never, in all my years of watching soccer, seen a guy that is right place right time like Klose. I don't have sports heros, but If I did, it would be Miroslave Klose. Love the guy.

Tied at 15 for most World Cup goals ever with Ronaldo. How about that?

intlzncster

Reaction Score

It's been a great World Cup so far. The new blood has been taking it to the Old Guard in a big way. Here's hoping the US continues that form!

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Wish Ghana wasn't in our group, they are a really good team and badly outplayed us but we converted our 2 chances. The US has a great opportunity that they have to capitalize on tomorrow. Beat a beaten up Portugal so you don't have to worry about a hungry Germany on Thursday.

Yep to every thing you mentioned. Our group is the group of death precisely because Ghana and the US are a part of it.

Reaction Score
The big question for tomorrow is will the US team see a mad Ronaldo bum leg and all giving it his best (Ronaldo at 75% is likely better than any one at 100% on the US team) because 2 wins gets Portugal in and a win and a tie may also (though I think Ghana looks to be a nightmare match-up for them) or are they a defeated with players sniping at each other and the ref, which will allow a physical, structured team to tear them apart?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The big question for tomorrow is will the US team see a mad Ronaldo bum leg and all giving it his best (Ronaldo at 75% is likely better than any one at 100% on the US team) because 2 wins gets Portugal in and a win and a tie may also (though I think Ghana looks to be a nightmare match-up for them) or are they a defeated with players sniping at each other and the ref, which will allow a physical, structured team to tear them apart?

It's not just that Ronaldo is only at 75% tomorrow (although that counts for something). If I'm not mistaken, they will also be missing Bruno Alves, Hugo Almeida, Fabio Coentrao, and Pepe (red card). Those are some heavy losses for Portugal to absorb. They are still going to give us hell, but man, they look more "beatable" than ever. I hope Clint and the Yanks send the Portuguese packing!!!

Reaction Score
It's not just that Ronaldo is only at 75% tomorrow (although that counts for something). If I'm not mistaken, they will also be missing Bruno Alves, Hugo Almeida, Fabio Coentrao, and Pepe (red card). Those are some heavy losses for Portugal to absorb. They are still going to give us hell, but man, they look more "beatable" than ever. I hope Clint and the Yanks send the Portuguese packing!!!

I always have a bad feeling about playing these teams decimated by injuries and suspensions. They can either roll over or play the cornered animal with nothing to lose.

I'm also not feeling great about the prospect of Suarez being unleashed on my Azzurri, given how shaky they've looked in the back.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I always have a bad feeling about playing these teams decimated by injuries and suspensions. They can either roll over or play the cornered animal with nothing to lose.

Given the choice, I'll take all those injuries in a second. They are also missing their starting goalkeeper iirc.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And by the way, Germany tried to dominate possession, and Ghana countered the hell out of them. It also helped Ghana was playing from the lead for much of the game. Forcing Ghana to score on a bunker limits them greatly.

Reaction Score
And by the way, Germany tried to dominate possession, and Ghana countered the hell out of them. It also helped Ghana was playing from the lead for much of the game. Forcing Ghana to score on a bunker limits them greatly.

what does score on a bunker mean?

Reaction Score
John said:
what does score on a bunker mean?

A team is considered to be bunkering when they sit all 10 men back and crowd their defensive area, disregarding their offense altogether (maybe there will be a lone forward they try to boom the ball to, but he'll be on an island). It's a military/sports analogy - dig in, protect your bunker/territory, don't try to send troops toward.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Time stands still today at 5pm.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Jeremy Schaap: "Its the first day of winter, its hot as @^#%!, humid as @^#% and there are moths the size of cessnas!"

Reaction Score
Also, I don't see Suarez, Messi or Muller out. No one thinks Jozy going down in the first 10 minutes has anything to do with preparation?? This team could have gone in a different direction.

I really only think we saw the game play out the way it did, because:

1. We scored so early it immediately put us on the defensive. That became the pattern of play. USMNT is better with their backs against the wall. Not playing from in front.

2. Losing Altidore so early. Our entire style of play had to change (but didn't really). Lack of goal scoring aside, he is an entirely unique entity on this US team. Our offense runs through him in the front, and I don't think the US was able to make that adjustment in game. Hopefully, we've had enough time to adjust since.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

BTW, I've been reading this sentiment in a number of places the last few days, and now I am getting nervous. Thanks.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Jeremy Schaap: "Its the first day of winter, its hot as @^#%!, humid as @^#% and there are moths the size of cessnas!"

Winter is coming. Kings of the North!

Reaction Score

I agree; but, Ronadlo has shown through qualifying that he can personally carry Portugal with his scoring touch. That is what makes him so dangerous. And to be honest, I am more concerned where he is mentally than physically I have said before Ronaldo at 75% is better than anyone else on the pitch; but he is known to have a thin skin and can be frustrated easily, especially if the opposing team can limit the service to him forcing Ronadlo to go deep in his own half of the field to get the ball. That is where Portugal 's injuries come into play. Making an injured Ronadlo in the heat and humidity of the Amazon carry the ball from Portugal's half of the field to generate opportunities for the entire 90 minutes will wear on him both mentally and physically. He does not like the grunt work.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I agree; but, Ronadlo has shown through qualifying that he can personally carry Portugal with his scoring touch. That is what makes him so dangerous. And to be honest, I am more concerned where he is mentally than physically I have said before Ronaldo at 75% is better than anyone else on the pitch; but he is known to have a thin skin and can be frustrated easily, especially if the opposing team can limit the service to him forcing Ronadlo to go deep in his own half of the field to get the ball. That is where Portugal 's injuries come into play. Making an injured Ronadlo in the heat and humidity of the Amazon carry the ball from Portugal's half of the field to generate opportunities for the entire 90 minutes will wear on him both mentally and physically. He does not like the grunt work.

I wish we had a guy who could man mark Ronaldo and follow him all over the pitch. He's most dangerous in space, finding soft spots in the zone, when he receives the ball and can go full steam ahead.

I'm hoping the Portguese side carries the same poor attitude into this game that they had in the last. If so, I think we draw at the bare minimum. If they play back-against-the-wall inspired, that is a worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom