OT: World Cup | Page 19 | The Boneyard

OT: World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I agree; but, Ronadlo has shown through qualifying that he can personally carry Portugal with his scoring touch. That is what makes him so dangerous. And to be honest, I am more concerned where he is mentally than physically I have said before Ronaldo at 75% is better than anyone else on the pitch; but he is known to have a thin skin and can be frustrated easily, especially if the opposing team can limit the service to him forcing Ronadlo to go deep in his own half of the field to get the ball. That is where Portugal 's injuries come into play. Making an injured Ronadlo in the heat and humidity of the Amazon carry the ball from Portugal's half of the field to generate opportunities for the entire 90 minutes will wear on him both mentally and physically. He does not like the grunt work.

Obviously Ronaldo deserves attention, even at 75%. But if I'm being honest, Ronaldo at 75% is not the player that worries me. It's Nani at 100%. We had better make sure that Nani is not allowed to hurt us...

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Obviously Ronaldo deserves attention, even at 75%. But if I'm being honest, Ronaldo at 75% is not the player that worries me. It's Nani at 100%. We had better make sure that Nani is not allowed to hurt us...

Yep. But I don't want to be giving Ronaldo any of those blasts. I'm more worried about his set pieces in this game. All it takes is one.

If it wasn't for people getting me all worried, I'd feel pretty good about this game. Portugal's not a side that can match our physicality/fitness, which is usually the thing that gives us issues. Ghana alone as shown that. But it has been the case with several other sides in the WC over the years. The USMNT doesn't have enough other pluses once you take away their strongest advantage.

Reaction Score
Several of my good friends are Chelsea supports, and they rarely ever talk about Eden Hazard. Whereas I'm always raving about the guy. They are mostly David Luiz (not anymore) or Oscar fans. And even young kids who follow Chelsea are not big fans.

If I'm choosing a starting 11 from the world's best players, he is definitely one of my midfielders or wings. No doubt.

What is about him that people overlook? Too small? Bad defensively? Doesn't score goals?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Several of my good friends are Chelsea supports, and they rarely ever talk about Eden Hazard. Whereas I'm always raving about the guy. They are mostly David Luiz (not anymore) or Oscar fans. And even young kids who follow Chelsea are not big fans.

If I'm choosing a starting 11 from the world's best players, he is definitely one of my midfielders or wings. No doubt.

What is about him that people overlook? Too small? Bad defensively? Doesn't score goals?

All of those things don't help, but he's pretty nasty. Not sure I take him top 11, but I wouldn't mind at all if he played distributing forward on my team. He looked exceptional today.

Russians so should have gone up 1-0 at the half. Worst botched header of the Cup. Although, Balotelli or Australia's Leckie might have an argument.

Reaction Score
Yep. But I don't want to be giving Ronaldo any of those blasts. I'm more worried about his set pieces in this game. All it takes is one.

And that is where the refs will influence the game. If the US gives-up too many fouls for it's physical style of defense, the team will be playing Russian roulette on set pieces with Ronaldo. Too many set pieces and he will burn the US. As for Nani, I think the US has enough speed on the wings to give him problems. Plus, Nani defers to Ronaldo way too many times or so it seems on the Portugal national team.

Reaction Score
All of those things don't help, but he's pretty nasty. Not sure I take him top 11, but I wouldn't mind at all if he played distributing forward on my team. He looked exceptional today.

Russians so should have gone up 1-0 at the half. Worst botched header of the Cup. Although, Balotelli or Australia's Leckie might have an argument.

You appear to have missed Greece's striker Gekas missing this header:

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Dreadful defense on that goal...4 defenders covering no one, Beasley totally out of position!

Reaction Score
huskyharry said:
Dreadful defense on that goal...4 defenders covering no one, Beasley totally out of position!

In fairness, it was a pretty routine clearance that Cameron flubbed. Yeah - you should be thinking about worst case scenarios as a defender so everyone is a bit culpable, but Cameron probably couldn't have shanked a ball like that to the far post if he tried to. Everyone was in position and inched forward expecting him to kick the ball in the correct direction.

Reaction Score
Other than Cameron obviously, the player I was most disappointed in was Zusi. Bad decisions - and he killed a couple advantages being indecisive. Bradley has been excellent - he's back on his game. Johnson has spent a lot of time in the offensive end looking dangerous. I wonder if they'll stick with Zusi or try a forward. He is a guy who can have one moment of magic to change a bad day.

Reaction Score
Bradley choked. Reminded me of watching my girls play. They have the entire net to shoot at and they fire into the goalie's belly.

Had 80% of the net from 10 feet out and he puts it on the leg of the defender. Ouch.

Reaction Score
Bradley choked. Reminded me of watching my girls play. They have the entire net to shoot at and they fire into the goalie's belly.

Had 80% of the net from 10 feet out and he puts it on the leg of the defender. Ouch.

To be fair Bradley, the replay showed the ball bouncing a lot on him. Field inside both boxes is really rough.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Not to get ahead of ourselves but (if we do hold on tonight) what are our chances of earning a draw against Germany? That puts us at the top of the group going into the knockout stage.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Well, I guess I jinxed it.

Reaction Score
I know it was Renaldo, but I it looked like the defender made a huge mistake letting him set up. Go pressure the ball. He was 40 yards out and no worries about the blow by. Renaldo was able to make that pass completely unmolested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom