OT/Throwback - Did we recruit Brooks Sales? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT/Throwback - Did we recruit Brooks Sales?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Some other obvious misses who went to BC and were stars...John Bagley,

Not sure you can call Bagley a miss. He couldn't get into UConn academically.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
To my recollection, Garris went directly to BC.

Nope, he transferred.

BCU's best team had 4 starters from Connecticut.

Reaction Score
Some other obvious misses who went to BC and were stars, Michael Adams and John Bagley, also Curley's teammate Malcolm Huckaby. Charles Smith at Pitt was one of the best players in the country, Rick Mahorn ended up at Hampton.

Murphy had a good career with BC (they had some good years) and Cobb ( though got caught up in the point shaving scandal)before him. Anybody know what happened to them regarding UConn?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Murphy only had to take one class that met once a week to stay eligible. UConn couldn't match that.

Reaction Score
others: tom roy, nash went to HI, calvin murphy, aleksinas to KY b/f CT, gaminski, soup campbell, egan at prov., . . . guard Williams, lefty forward went to uri?

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Nope, he transferred.

You're right. He went to Michigan and pretty much didn't play there. Seemed to me he played more than 2 seasons at BCU, but the record books say different.

BCU's best team had 4 starters from Connecticut.

2 from Bridgeport.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
others: tom roy, nash went to HI, calvin murphy, aleksinas to KY b/f CT, gaminski, soup campbell, egan at prov., . . . guard Williams, lefty forward went to uri?

Rod Foster to UCLA

Reaction Score
A buddy & I were discussing in-state talent that didn't go to UConn. We couldn't remember the deal with Sales. Did we recruit him at all or was there no interest?

Looking back, we only had one scholarship freshman when he was coming out of HS and that was Justin Brown.

He had a decent career at Nova though he wasn't an explosive athlete.
If we did recruit him, it wasn't very hard. Could be wrong but as I recall we could have had him if we wanted him.

Reaction Score
Now you are going way back; Johnny Egan lived a block away from me and UConn never had a chance with him. Providence was a bigger program than Uconn at that time.Somehow Johnny managed to purchase a Triumph TR3 while at PC. Campbell, Sly Williams and Jiggy Williamson were all recruited by UConn as was Murphy, Alexsinas, Roy, and Gaminski.We never had a chance at Roy and Gaminski.
There have been quite a few Connecticut players who passed on UConn: Super John Williamson, Rod Foster, Harold Pressley, John Pinone, John Bagley and Wes Matthews come to mind. Our program was in a different place before JC. Some players like Michael Adams and Michael Williams were passed on because of academic issues.

Reaction Score
walt luckett, Kolbe Bridgeport went to ohio u. / roy was b/t dee rowe and lefty driesell and he chose the latter/ what was the first name of nash from Hartford, a 6-8 type who could play who went to HI

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
walt luckett, Kolbe Bridgeport went to ohio u.

And never really had the career that everyone expected of him.

There were a couple of Danbury products, too. One was Anthony Harris, who was like 3rd on the all time CT high school scorers list behind Luckett and Tom Roy. I don't recall if we were even interested in him, much less how hard we might have recruited him. He went to 'cuse for a year, didn't play much, ended up at a community college somewhere in the middle of nowhere, then played his last couple years at Hawaii, where he actually played well, and led the WAC in scoring. He did get signed by the Warriors, but was released the 2nd day of the season, and ended up replacing KO as the point guard for the CT Pride in the CBA, when KO got picked up by the Mavs. He had some legal problems in there somewhere, too.

Reaction Score
nelsonmuntz said:
I believe Sales was one of those kids that grew several inches late. I think he was a 6'5 PF when Calhoun looked at him, and if I recall correctly, Sales was interested but Calhoun wasn't. All things being equal, I imagine UConn would have liked to have him, but he wasn't a dominant college player by any means.

Vin Baker was the one who grew after high school. Sales was a good 6'8" in high school, my son played against him. He was a "soft" player, would not have been a good fit with Calhoun.

Reaction Score
walt luckett, Kolbe Bridgeport went to ohio u. / roy was b/t dee rowe and lefty driesell and he chose the latter/ what was the first name of nash from Hartford, a 6-8 type who could play who went to HI
Bob Nash from Hartford Public, a decent but not great player. We played Hawaii while he was there.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
others: tom roy, nash went to HI, calvin murphy, aleksinas to KY b/f CT, gaminski, soup campbell, egan at prov., . . . guard Williams, lefty forward went to uri?[/q

Two Williams cousins from New Haven. Super John and Jiggy along with Campell.. Another kid kid at

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Hit a malfunction above but there was a good guard who went to UCLA at the same time too. Name escapes me(Rod?). There was a lot of talent in Ct when we weren't highly desirable yet.

Reaction Score
Now you are going way back; Johnny Egan lived a block away from me and UConn never had a chance with him. Providence was a bigger program than Uconn at that time.Somehow Johnny managed to purchase a Triumph TR3 while at PC. Campbell, Sly Williams and Jiggy Williamson were all recruited by UConn as was Murphy, Alexsinas, Roy, and Gaminski.We never had a chance at Roy and Gaminski.
There have been quite a few Connecticut players who passed on UConn: Super John Williamson, Rod Foster, Harold Pressley, John Pinone, John Bagley and Wes Matthews come to mind. Our program was in a different place before JC. Some players like Michael Adams and Michael Williams were passed on because of academic issues.

Mickey Heard and John Thomas of Cross also both headed to LSU I believe as well as Maurice Williamson much later………..Mahorn brothers………..

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
We used to bemoan the loss of talent. Except for Corny and McKay, they all ignored us. Then came Chris Smith!

Reaction Score
We used to bemoan the loss of talent. Except for Corny and McKay, they all ignored us. Then came Chris Smith!

C'mon now Chuck realized Kentucky wasn't for him and came back to play for the Huskies……can't forget the Mountain!

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Hit a malfunction above but there was a good guard who went to UCLA at the same time too. Name escapes me(Rod?). There was a lot of talent in Ct when we weren't highly desirable yet.
Rod Foster.

But for some reason, I can't think of Foster without Wes Matthews also coming to mind. He wasn't highly recruited because of academics, as I recall. Ended up at one of those hyphenated schools. (Wisconsin-Madison), then was a first round draft choice in 1980.

Reaction Score
Rod Foster.

But for some reason, I can't think of Foster without Wes Matthews also coming to mind. He wasn't highly recruited because of academics, as I recall. Ended up at one of those hyphenated schools. (Wisconsin-Madison), then was a first round draft choice in 1980.

Wes Matthews went to the Wisconsin Badgers right? I believe he was very highly recruited and never thought of staying home at all if I recall……..I believe he even got a sniff from UCLA way back then.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure Wes Matthews played for Minnesota in the Big Ten.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom