OT/Throwback - Did we recruit Brooks Sales? | The Boneyard

OT/Throwback - Did we recruit Brooks Sales?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A buddy & I were discussing in-state talent that didn't go to UConn. We couldn't remember the deal with Sales. Did we recruit him at all or was there no interest?

Looking back, we only had one scholarship freshman when he was coming out of HS and that was Justin Brown.

He had a decent career at Nova though he wasn't an explosive athlete.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
I don't know if we recruited him but the story was he had no interest in us, because he didn't want to be in his sister's shadow.
A reasonable concern, because his sister was a great player.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Nope.

He ended up picking Nova over URI, UMass and Seton Hall.

Reaction Score
Thanks, Fishy. That's a pretty gross list but that looks about right from what I remember. He wasn't that coveted for a 6'10 guy.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Remember, back in 1997 or so, that was not an awful list.

URI was an NCAA-caliber team, Seton Hall had just hired Amaker and UMass still thought they were good....

Reaction Score
Mustapha Heron giving a verbal to Pitt as a soph seems like a dumb decision, I'm guessing he will reconsider that in the future.

Reaction Score
Marcus Camby with to UMass. Still the biggest instate talent we lost out on and should have had. I hate Calipari

Reaction Score
If we had Camby the 1999 team wouldn't have been our first championship.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
No s---

After everything we know about what happened with Camby, someone is still pissed he went to UMass?! Jeebus...our "first championship" banner would be in a box in an NCAA storage closet.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I believe Sales was one of those kids that grew several inches late. I think he was a 6'5 PF when Calhoun looked at him, and if I recall correctly, Sales was interested but Calhoun wasn't. All things being equal, I imagine UConn would have liked to have him, but he wasn't a dominant college player by any means.

Reaction Score
Marcus Camby with to UMass. Still the biggest instate talent we lost out on and should have had. I hate Calipari

But Marcus wouldn't have received a #21 diamond chain either…….it was in his best interest to go with the squid. Where else could you get diamond necklaces and still able to play with less than a 1.5 GPA?

Reaction Score
The one that truly got away was Bill Curley. That would have been our 1st title. He would have fit our team like a glove.
Curley wasn't in-state and while he was a good player he wasn't in the same league as Camby who was the best player in the country. Camby and Ray Allen together would have been ridiculous, you're talking multiple championships. The one we lucked out on is Donyell Marshall, Syracuse thought they had him wrapped up.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The one we lucked out on is Donyell Marshall, Syracuse thought they had him wrapped up.

No luck involved.

Syracuse was never as close as they thought with Donnyell - real competition there was Maryland.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Harold Jensen from Trumbull went to Nova. He burned us a few times, and as a sophmore reserve, went 5 for 5 from the floor (plus 4 for 4 from the line in winning time) against G'town in the NCAA Championship.

The one guy I really wanted that we didn't get was John Garris. Don't recall whether we were involved recruiting him or not. That would have been back in the pre-dream season stone age, so maybe not.

Reaction Score
Harold Jensen from Trumbull went to Nova. He burned us a few times, and as a sophmore reserve, went 5 for 5 from the floor (plus 4 for 4 from the line in winning time) against G'town in the NCAA Championship.

The one guy I really wanted that we didn't get was John Garris. Don't recall whether we were involved recruiting him or not. That would have been back in the pre-dream season stone age, so maybe not.

Didn't Garris go west and then come back to play at BC? Pressley also………..

Reaction Score
The one that truly got away was Bill Curley. That would have been our 1st title. He would have fit our team like a glove.

If Calhoun could design a ball player, he'd be Curley. Must have really hurt to lose him to BC.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Curley wasn't in-state and while he was a good player he wasn't in the same league as Camby who was the best player in the country. Camby and Ray Allen together would have been ridiculous, you're talking multiple championships. The one we lucked out on is Donyell Marshall, Syracuse thought they had him wrapped up.

I know he wasn't actually in-state, just virtually, but we had Curley until a last minute full-court press. We never had Camby. And besides any games we would have won would have been stricken from the books.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If Calhoun could design a ball player, he'd be Curley. Must have really hurt to lose him to BC.

He would have been the perfect inside compliment to Yell. I still remember Bob Ryan writing a column the Sunday before he announced that if Curley didn't choose BCU, they should disband the program. Too bad, Curley's a forgotten player from a forgettable program. If he went to UConn he would on the wall.

Reaction Score
The hilarious thing about losing Curley to bcu is he never beat us in at least 8 games over his 4 years. He also had a brother who followed him at bcu, and he too, never beat us. Finally, a 3rd Curley brother attended a mid major (can't remember which one) and he too, lost, in his only game against us.
Wonder if there are more Curleys out there?

Reaction Score
Umass was the first school on Camby, they were recruiting him since he was a freshman. Camby has said he wanted to play for UConn but they just didn't show much interest, Calhoun says otherwise. Who knows if games would have ever been forfeited if he did come to UConn, Calhoun wouldn't have bought him jewelry and hookers like coach Slimeball. It's fun to look back and wonder what if, all in all I would say things have worked out for us pretty darn well in these situations.

Reaction Score
Some other obvious misses who went to BC and were stars, Michael Adams and John Bagley, also Curley's teammate Malcolm Huckaby. Charles Smith at Pitt was one of the best players in the country, Rick Mahorn ended up at Hampton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom