OT: Musical Poker: 5 Band Stud | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Musical Poker: 5 Band Stud

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Very cool Doors story though, at the time probably any other concert would have been better - but from a story being worth it perspective (not to mention life lesson) seeing "that" Jim Morrison with your own eyes was probably well worth ruining a night and the $15 ticket.

Sounds like a Sly show I saw at Cornell, where there was a steady outflow of disappointed fans as soon as people realized he was too wasted to perform. And I was already disappointed that Bob Marley unexpectedly canceled as opening act (my real reason for going), with Wishbone Ash substituting.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I hear you on the Police, that was their rep - awful/flat in concert don't bother. In contrast Freddie Mercury's legacy is one of the most charismatic, energetic and best concert performers. I think you can see it in their concert footage. On that front I'd rate Mick Jagger #1 I've seen him in 80's, 90's (I thought I was good at that point) and again in 2015 and he retains his incredible energy and stage presence. Bruce, Bono are the other two I'd put in that upper echelon, then dropoff among those I've seen to Roger Waters, R Daltrey/Townsend.

However thinking about it I completely understand about never hearing the way overplayed popular catalog of Queen again AND if say Led Zeppelin, The Doors and Queen were playing the same night I wouldn't hesitate a moment to see Zeppelin and Queen would be a distant 3rd. But I wasn't old enough (1st concert 1980) to have had a chance to see Zeppelin so its not the same regret.

You've opened me to at least search YouTube for Queen & Led Zeppelin video. My music library has fewer than a dozen songs by both, and that includes zero by Queen. I've liked bands obviously influenced by Zeppelin, but little by the band itself (permanently influenced at an impressionable age by John Mendelsohn's scathing Rolling Stone reviews of the first two albums).

Reaction Score
You've opened me to at least search YouTube for Queen & Led Zeppelin video. My music library has fewer than a dozen songs by both, and that includes zero by Queen. I've liked bands obviously influenced by Zeppelin, but little by the band itself (permanently influenced at an impressionable age by John Mendelsohn's scathing Rolling Stone reviews of the first two albums).
Certainly by the early 80's Zeppelin was over-rated and WAY overplayed. Admittedly my current mostly nostalgic fondness for Zepellin was augmented by the reverential treatment they received in "Almost Famous". So whereas I could not possibly listen to Stairway & its ilk in 1983, I can listen to it on occasion nowadays and Tangerine, The Rain Song and other secondary tunes can let me drift back in time to an illicit keg party in the woods somewhere.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Certainly by the early 80's Zeppelin was over-rated and WAY overplayed. Admittedly my current mostly nostalgic fondness for Zepellin was augmented by the reverential treatment they received in "Almost Famous". So whereas I could not possibly listen to Stairway & its ilk in 1983, I can listen to it on occasion nowadays and Tangerine, The Rain Song and other secondary tunes can let me drift back in time to an illicit keg party in the woods somewhere.
Did we go to legal keg parties back in the day? I remember the winter keggers where we shared gloves so that everyone had a "drinking glove". Where has the time gone. How about the top five bands with CT. roots(made it least marginally nationwide)? I can only offer a band from my neck of the woods -- NRBQ.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Peter Tork (of the aforementioned, Monkees) grew up in Willimantic and Storrs. Apparently he is much smarter and a far more accomplished musician than Don Kirshner's creation made him out to be.

Reaction Score

Not sure how they were overrated or ever overplayed. Stairway to Heaven was way overplayed especially if you listened to (DRC or PLR) the station that closed midnight with it every night. But as you say their "secondary" songs were tremendous and I'm not sure many other than fans even know what most of them are. Zep is easily Top 10 0f all time and for me 5 and fairly easily.

Reaction Score
Metallica is a SF band.

Can't believe the Boston list forgot these huge standards: Barry & Remains, Ultimate Spinach, Barbarians

NYC - Leslie West and Mountain, Spin Doctors, Hold Steady, Lou Reed

Spin doctors.... meh
We did mention the velvet underground

Also, the holy molar Rounders absoluelty owned NYC for years

More recently, the bogmen

Reaction Score
The dbs. Highly influential Saw them open for REM on the Murmur tour in 1983.......at University of Bridgeport...wow.

Add the B52 s to Athens.

Reaction Score
Not sure how they were overrated or ever overplayed. Stairway to Heaven was way overplayed especially if you listened to (DRC or PLR) the station that closed midnight with it every night. But as you say their "secondary" songs were tremendous and I'm not sure many other than fans even know what most of them are. Zep is easily Top 10 0f all time and for me 5 and fairly easily.
I think they were overplayed in the 70's & 80s. Radio of my youth was PLR, I-95, then KRoc. Overplayed tunes, Whole Lotta Love (don't like), Immigrant Song (too much screaming), Black Dog (overplayed, meh) and a few others that were overplayed that are fine now b/c nostalgia (Fool in the Rain, The Ocean). I 100% agree on top 10 though and again they just rose to any concert any time who I'd go see.

Reaction Score
I think they were overplayed in the 70's & 80s. Radio of my youth was PLR, I-95, then KRoc. Overplayed tunes, Whole Lotta Love (don't like), Immigrant Song (too much screaming), Black Dog (overplayed, meh) and a few others that were overplayed that are fine now b/c nostalgia (Fool in the Rain, The Ocean). I 100% agree on top 10 though and again they just rose to any concert any time who I'd go see.

Whole Lotta Love agree and Black Dog I'd agree meh - Immigrant screaming as only they could do, like it. Rain Song, D'yer Maker, Fool in the Rain and many secondary songs classics.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Metallica is a SF band.
According to their MTV rocumentary (remember when MTV was music-centric?), they relocated to SF.

Be that as it may, LA has a really strong lineup without them and they only help San Fran.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
I hear you on the Police, that was their rep - awful/flat in concert don't bother. In contrast Freddie Mercury's legacy is one of the most charismatic, energetic and best concert performers. I think you can see it in their concert footage. On that front I'd rate Mick Jagger #1 I've seen him in 80's, 90's (I thought I was good at that point) and again in 2015 and he retains his incredible energy and stage presence. Bruce, Bono are the other two I'd put in that upper echelon, then dropoff among those I've seen to Roger Waters, R Daltrey/Townsend.

However thinking about it I completely understand about never hearing the way overplayed popular catalog of Queen again AND if say Led Zeppelin, The Doors and Queen were playing the same night I wouldn't hesitate a moment to see Zeppelin and Queen would be a distant 3rd. But I wasn't old enough (1st concert 1980) to have had a chance to see Zeppelin so its not the same regret.

I saw Queen in '82. I went in as a casual fan and came out absolutely blown away.

That and Zappa were the two best shows I've ever seen.

I had an older girlfriend in college who had seen zep ( which I would have killed for at the time) and she said it sucked. Page had to be wheeled on stage for the two songs he tried to play, there was an hour long drum solo and the show was over.

Reaction Score
Concerts are one way of rating the bands we loved. I for one, hate concerts since I grew up (did I?) and never really was one to get the buddies to go on a road trip to go see any of our favorites. Sometimes it was a no brainer and we drank, smoked some bones and said "wow that was great" even though sometimes it wasn't. Saw Queen, great "show" I guess but they weren't anything I would fall for. Saw Pink Floyd in NJ and didn't really like them but really like the lovely lady who brought me - later in life when I bought my son to his first concert "Australian Pink Floyd" I suddenly grew a liking to their music and now stop on it almost always when on Sirius.

To me music has always been more for cruising in the car, relaxing at a party to the house or just flat out partying somewhere. 8 tracks VHS, cassettes, turntables, car stereo with Jensen's humming out from a Blaupunkdt stereo system with the T-Tops off. So what they do in the studio is where I rate them and hell they're all really good, some a bit too much studio. But for me it's the hard rock sound of a Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Grand Funk and so many others that have kept my car going during travel. I love some of the 60's, 70's for sure from the one hit wonders and such, and the newest stuff I can go with is STP, Pearl Jam and a couple others but I will always fall back on the 60-70 rockers who impacted my musical interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom